Avalanche @ Canucks - Mar 28 - 7:00PM PST - SPAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Avalanche @ Canucks - Mar 28 - 7:00PM PST - SPAC

Post by Chef Boi RD »

newcanuckfan wrote:
I liked Hank's game, he almost had a shot at one point in the 3rd. :D
What's it now? 2 Goals in his last 35 games? I lost count after 30 games. At that pace on an 82 game season, Hank is on Pace for a C-hair over 4 goals a season. Fantastic numbers. What's centre no. 2 Ryan Kesler at now? like 4 goals in his last 24 games? Exciting stuff.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

clem wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:This Landeskog is a beaut.

I predict a 2-1 shutout victory for the Canucks. End to end shut down hockey.
Well, you got the shutout, but you didn't get it 2-1.

Those are really rare. :sly:
Haha, you got me. I meant Shootout but hey, you got me.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I thought you meant, 'shutdown' victory.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote:I thought you meant, 'shutdown' victory.
Well, maybe out of mistake like in my sub-conscious mind I came up with a new term, combining Shut Down with Shut Out. Shut Out Hockey, instead of Shut Down Hockey? I think Shut Shut works better or even Down Out.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I hate these low scoring games. I would rather lose a game 7-5 then win 1-0. Boring hockey. If we win the cup playing like this I will be so embarrassed. No team deserves to win a cup playing 1-0 games. What has the NHL come to?
The only HW the Canucks need
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:
newcanuckfan wrote:
I liked Hank's game, he almost had a shot at one point in the 3rd. :D
What's it now? 2 Goals in his last 35 games? I lost count after 30 games. At that pace on an 82 game season, Hank is on Pace for a C-hair over 4 goals a season. Fantastic numbers. What's centre no. 2 Ryan Kesler at now? like 4 goals in his last 24 games? Exciting stuff.
If Hank had 85 goals this year it wouldn't matter, you'd still be crying about how it isn't the playoffs.

BTW, Iginla has no goals in his last 5. That's a 0 goal pace over 30 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:This Landeskog is a beaut.

I predict a 2-1 shutout victory for the Canucks. End to end shut down hockey.
How could it be a shutout when both teams have allowed goals against? :eh:

Other than that you were correct. Shutout victory as a result of shutdown hockey. 8-)
Påhlsson with an assist on a short handed goal by Higgins.

I say this team is ready for the playoffs! 8-)

Edit: OK, dude, I see I'm late to the party. Never mind. :oops:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

It's a team going through the motions right now. Entrenched in second, and unlikely to be first. Mail it in and/or do just enough to get the win. One line was going last night...the Pahlsson line. Other lines had a glimmer here and there but ultimately it was a one line game.

I'm honestly getting to the point where I don't know how the canucks choose Luongo over Schneider going forward. Schneider's positioning is beyond solid and he has great reflexes to go along with it. Tough decision in the off season.

Entertainment value? yeah not much but so goes the NHL these days. No entertainment value in the Kings-Flames game either or the part of the Ducks-Sharks game I saw. The game is right back to where it was before the lockout and all it took was a few months. Well done NHL. It has to be some sort of misguided attempt at limiting concussions though I expect that you'll see absolutely no change in concussion statistics because of the changes made. Oh wait, they haven't made any changes honest.

Also, call up Schroeder and give Henrik a rest.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

One fan might look at these games and say.."fuck, we're getting outshot every night and can't score, no way we can win in the post season 1-0 every night"..

Another fan might say.."we've got absolutely dick all to play for and are up against opponents every night who could not be any hungrier as they play for their lives and we are still putting up enough game to win"..

We talked Booth yesterday a bit but boy has stepped his game up. Physically and emotionally.

Lappy needs a back slap or two for his play of late, even generating offensive chances here and there, showing a bit of puck know how.

Can we tag him Marc Grangiveaway yet?

Malhotra with a laser off the inside of the post one night and 3 feet wide on a breakaway the next. Doh!

Dudes buddy Pahlsson fitting right in to the role the team saw him in. Looks good. Should be a playoff monster.

What more need be said about...

Higgy

The Dane

Cory

....and, to borrow the words penned by Roger Waters, to the PP and Hank Sedin..

.."is there anybody out there?"
DeLevering since 1999.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:I hate these low scoring games. I would rather lose a game 7-5 then win 1-0. Boring hockey. If we win the cup playing like this I will be so embarrassed. No team deserves to win a cup playing 1-0 games. What has the NHL come to?
hmm one of the most thrilling games to me in the Playoffs was settled in double overtime.. Brodeur against the Beezer... Both stopped over 50 shots.. Schneider just put on an exhibition.. stopping 43... Agree I would like to see the Canucks go on the offensive and score a few more goals.. But I don't find defensive hockey boring.;.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...shes being sarcastic...
DeLevering since 1999.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

RoyalDude wrote:Is getting outshot 43-22 the true definition of Shut Down Hockey? More like Goalie Shut Down Hockey. Ginger saves the day, right after Luongo saved the day.
Correct me if I'm wrong but did I not also see a stat last night saying that the Avs blocked 20+ shots last night? We were putting rubber towards the net but if a team is desperate and willing to sell their bodies like a $5 hooker to block shots sometimes things look more lopsided than they were.

3 break aways, multiple very good chances. Also, even though the Av's had 43 shots, how many of them were really quality scoring plays. Without knowing the actual statistics it looked pretty much even (them & us) to my eye.

I thought Tanev did very well up in the #1 defensive pairing. MAG is exciting in the way a rollar-coaster with a squeaky wheel bearing is and Salo looked tired mentally. More mistakes than usual. Ginger was awesome. Pitching back to back shut-outs between Lou and Ginger is awesome - feels like that old song "Anything you can do, I can do better..."

I was happy with Kassian last night too. Kid is damn hard to move off the puck, played a good physical game and kept up not too bad. Like the saying goes "first you work, then you score". I see him putting in the work so I am willing to be patient.

Assuming the post-game stuff I heard is correct, I think Ginger gets Dallas on Friday and Lou gets to end the Flames season on Sat. Ginger tends to excel vs. the Stars and ditto Lou vs. the Flames.

Lastly, I liked the interviews with MG about why the team went this route and him saying point blank I don't like this style but you can't beat the refs :)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote: If Hank had 85 goals this year it wouldn't matter, you'd still be crying about how it isn't the playoffs.

BTW, Iginla has no goals in his last 5. That's a 0 goal pace over 30 years.
ROFLMFAO! You kill me, dha[mod edit]. Love it!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Are you just putting the "[mod edit]" in yourself now?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

donlever wrote:
Can we tag him Marc Grangiveaway yet?
Grangiveaway, won't last long with this organization, but then again, he's AV's boi. But if AV is gone, in which I think he will be if we bomb in the playoffs, insert Mack T here, then Grangiveaway is gone. Gillis has granted AV his wish and givin him the players he's wanted, shut down heavy line-up with no kids who have offensive skill. This team is really about AV right now, but unfortunately for AV, he's making that same big mistake that we have seen other coaches make in the past and dress the old reliable, shut down, lunch bucket, meat and potato players ahead of young skill. We'll see. I just don't see this team keeping the 'HAVE'S' off the score sheet, and when we ain't keeping the HAVE'S off the score sheet, who is scoring our goals? Pahlsson? Malhotra? Lapierre? Kassian? Hank Sedin? Kesler? Where are the goals going to come from? Curious to see how this shut down hockey plays out against some of the elite teams of the league. Ginger and Lou can't do it all by themselves.