GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: I thought the 23 man roster didn't not expire until the playoffs started. So if MG cannot send a player down, or waive a player with the intention of doing so and IF the roster cannot expand there is no way MG can make room.

The only way is if you are correct about the roster limit disappearing after trade deadline. Interesting.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

23-man Roster

There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline.

Yeah so Ballard can be inserted into the lineup as soon as his remaining salary is less than Canucks remaining cap room.
Hockey Widow wrote: I think Ballard will be held back until the last possible second, no other way to get him in the line up. This is a good thing since he is coming off the concussion and has shown he can get back into game shape pretty quickly. For a guy with virtually no injuries until he became a Canuck he sure has had a tough two years. But he and Tanev as the 5-6 make me feel better than any other combo right now.
Personally I'd rather a player get at least a few regular season games in before the playoffs start.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:Yeah so Ballard can be inserted into the lineup as soon as his remaining salary is less than Canucks remaining cap room.
Maybe I missed something earlier but if the Canucks cannot assign a player to the Wolves then I don't see how they will be able to get Ballard back into the lineup - you need to be at or over the cap to qualify for LTIR exemption and they've had one or more players on LTIR all season so they should have no cap space banked whatsoever.

Given they apparently can't put Danny on LTIR they will almost certainly not be able to clear space by any other means either.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, that clears it up, thanks.

As for whether we have cap room at some point the truth is that unless you are MG or Gillman you probably don't know, I know I have no idea how much cap room we have and when we have it. I think if MG says they can get him into the line up when he is ready we will have to take him at his word that this is all pretty well planned out by them.

I think he will probably get in in the last or second last game and I would not be surprised to see the Hobbit get a game or two as well.

We should be in pretty good shape heading into the playoffs.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah when I edited my post I removed a statement along the lines of "if capgeek is a believable source at this point," - at the end of the day we likely won't know whether the Canucks can get Ballard into the lineup or not until they do.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Yeah so Ballard can be inserted into the lineup as soon as his remaining salary is less than Canucks remaining cap room.
Maybe I missed something earlier but if the Canucks cannot assign a player to the Wolves then I don't see how they will be able to get Ballard back into the lineup - you need to be at or over the cap to qualify for LTIR exemption and they've had one or more players on LTIR all season so they should have no cap space banked whatsoever.

Given they apparently can't put Danny on LTIR they will almost certainly not be able to clear space by any other means either.
dbr wrote:Yeah when I edited my post I removed a statement along the lines of "if capgeek is a believable source at this point," - at the end of the day we likely won't know whether the Canucks can get Ballard into the lineup or not until they do.
Let's face it Dave, neither of us are capoligists.

And you know what, I'm glad?

But let's keep in mind a team could have a player or players on LTIR and end up not using that cushion (if the cap was say $60mil and a $4mil-salaried-player went on the LTIR on the first day of the season, an already-at-the-max team could now spend over-cap to a maximum of $64mil - if said team were to choose to). Almost never does that WHOLE cushion get used, right?

Okay now, using VERY rough numbers and no doubt overlooking some minor factors...

Around deadline day the Canucks were a little under the cap (~$1mil?) if I remember correctly. Ballard went on the LTIR about that time meaning Canucks could have gone over-cap by ~$3mil? (Ballard‘s salary is $4.2mil). Deadline Day went something like this: $1.7 + $.7mil (Hods + Sulzer) OUT... $2.7mil + $.9mil + $.5mil (Pahlsson + Kassian + Grags) IN. Difference of *about* $1.7mil. Around that time I believe Bitz went down and Tanev came up = $.2mil IN.

So about $1.9 more in payroll, and if we were ~$1mil under the cap that would put us $.9mil overcap, which is all good because we were allowed to go ~3mil overcap because of Ballard.

BUT remember they calculate cap/overcap on a DAILY basis

... and don’t forget Volpatti and Ebbet are ALSO on the LTIR!

What does all THAT mean?

Fucked if I know. :drink:

But I now have a strong hunch that guys like Ebbet/Bitz/Schroeder could easily fit into the overcap (if we’re $.9mil overcap and could go to $3mil overcap) but that Ballard prolly couldn’t.

So yeah, you’ve made me THINK ABOUT IT and I’ve changed my mind.

For now. :D

But seriously I think only Gilman knows fo sho (that’s why he makes the big geek bucks).
____
Try to focus on someday.