GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote:Booth has upgraded his physical game appreciably the last couple of outings.

Wonder what brought that on?
Yeah, its been very noticeable. The dude is built like a truck, and it's not at all surprising to see how imposing he can be when he brings the physical edge.

The team has raised it's physical game as a whole the past few games, so whether it was a coaching/leadership initiative or if the Hawks game "woke them up," the results have been very encouraging.

If Booth can play with this edge consistently in the playoffs, he'll be an absolute load to handle and gives us that type of imposing top 6 forward we lacked last year in the playoffs.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...yeah it's very likely a team thing.

But from going hard after Olver (along with Burr) when he jumped at Tanev to actually knocking people from here to eternity when he hits them the dude is bringing the pain right now.

I agree, as much as he is not the most adept of puck handlers you can see that his speed, physcial play and willingness to go to the ugly areas and get dirty (even with his history of getting labelled) this guy could be a real key for us come post season.

I love me some Chris Higgins.

What a fucking beauty that boy is.
DeLevering since 1999.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From Canucks Facebook:
After a shutout win in Rogers Arena against the Kings last night, all Canucks were on the ice for practice this morning except Daniel Sedin, Aaron Rome and Kevin Bieksa. Keith Ballard took part in his first full practice.

Coach Vigneault had no update on D.Sedin. Bieksa was given the day off. Schneider will start tomorrow vs. Avalanche.
Ballard back for the playoffs? - more depth (if he gets used).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:

Ballard back for the playoffs? - more depth (if he gets used).

The Canucks have the luxury of being able to allow Ballard more time to recover. If they were short on D and were fighting for their playoff lives we might see him a bit sooner. There are cap issues with reactivating him. We can make room now but it means sending players down which would also mean having no extras to carry. Dank cannot be put on LTIR so we can't utilize that cap space.

As our current situation is it makes no sense to reactivate him until we absolutely have to. Let MAG get his required number of games and rotate Alberts in and out with him to get Alberts playoff ready. Rome will be sidelined for a few games so we will need to get him a game or two as well before the playoffs start.

I wonder if Ballard can be sent down for conditioning when he is ready like we did with Salo. To me that would be better for us and Ballard. Get him 3 games with Chicago before the playoffs start where he can play 18-20 minutes a game. If we plan to pair him with Tanev when the playoffs start I think it would be an easy transition for him. Of course maybe we pair him with MAG.

At any rate I think both Ballard and Dank will be ready game one.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote:At any rate I think both Ballard and Dank will be ready game one.
Is this, specifically Dank, supposition or something you have heard?
DeLevering since 1999.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Hockey Widow wrote:I wonder if Ballard can be sent down for conditioning when he is ready like we did with Salo.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the AHL clear-day rosters have been set and players can't go down for conditioning stints anymore...
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

donlever wrote:...yeah it's very likely a team thing.

But from going hard after Olver (along with Burr) when he jumped at Tanev to actually knocking people from here to eternity when he hits them the dude is bringing the pain right now.

I agree, as much as he is not the most adept of puck handlers you can see that his speed, physcial play and willingness to go to the ugly areas and get dirty (even with his history of getting labelled) this guy could be a real key for us come post season.

I love me some Chris Higgins.

What a fucking beauty that boy is.

Booth has been a pleasant surprise in the las 3 games playing with a bit of an edge. He has the size and is solid so why not add another aspect to his game. I really liked the stepping up on the high hit on Tanev.

Higgins has been a great addition for the Canucks. Always finishes his checks and wins a lot of puck battles.

Hansen has also picked up his game since the Chicago tilt. The check he made on Len Barry's kid to set up the game winner was a beaut.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:At any rate I think both Ballard and Dank will be ready game one.

Nothing concrete yet, just my supposition based upon very sketchy details. I keep hearing things like it's only his first, he has no real symptoms to speak of. But the reality is the Canucks, players included, are being tight lipped. Unlike when Mitchell was hurt and I was hearing he was fucked for the season talk. With Dank it is all coy and silence with little titbits so I am GUESSING it is deliberate and that he will be ready to go but make no mistake this is my opinion only and I have no real inside scoop on it.

God I hate how I feel like I have to over qualify everything now lest I be misquoted and argued about on the internet. :twisted: It was easier when everyone just knew and accepted that all I post are rumours unless otherwise posted :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
donlever wrote:

Nothing concrete yet, just my supposition based upon very sketchy details. I keep hearing things like it's only his first, he has no real symptoms to speak of. But the reality is the Canucks, players included, are being tight lipped. Unlike when Mitchell was hurt and I was hearing he was fucked for the season talk. With Dank it is all coy and silence with little titbits so I am GUESSING it is deliberate and that he will be ready to go but make no mistake this is my opinion only and I have no real inside scoop on it.

God I hate how I feel like I have to over qualify everything now lest I be misquoted and argued about on the internet. :twisted: It was easier when everyone just knew and accepted that all I post are rumours unless otherwise posted :D
Isn't it date night Friday? 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote: God I hate how I feel like I have to over qualify everything now lest I be misquoted and argued about on the internet. :twisted: It was easier when everyone just knew and accepted that all I post are Rumours Unless Otherwise Posted :D

HW, just type in RUOP at the start of each rumour filled rant and you're morally covered...
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

wienerdog wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I wonder if Ballard can be sent down for conditioning when he is ready like we did with Salo.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the AHL clear-day rosters have been set and players can't go down for conditioning stints anymore...
This.

Pretty sure not one single Canuck can be sent down again this season.

Personally I don't understand how Gillis says the Canucks can create cap space. :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
This.

Pretty sure not one single Canuck can be sent down again this season.

Personally I don't understand how Gillis says the Canucks can create cap space. :eh:

Players can be sent down they are just ineligible to play for Chicago during their playoffs unless they were put on the clear-day roster. This is why they could play Rypien last year but not in the playoffs.

I think the rule is there to prevent teams that don't make the playoffs and early round exits from stacking their junior club but a player could still be assigned to play before the playoffs start, other clubs are still doing it. RUOP
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Players can be sent down they are just ineligible to play for Chicago during their playoffs unless they were put on the clear-day roster. This is why they could play Rypien last year but not in the playoffs.

I think the rule is there to prevent teams that don't make the playoffs and early round exits from stacking their junior club but a player could still be assigned to play before the playoffs start, other clubs are still doing it.
I'm seeing so much confusion about this out there.
http://theahl.com/2012-clear-day-lists- ... ed-p176440

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players. According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remainder of the 2011-12 AHL regular season and in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.
Note: regular season AND playoffs

Again, I'm pretty sure no present Canucks can be sent down.

Not mentioned in the link above is the "in-residence list" on which Rypien was listed last year:
Also note Rypien did in fact play in the playoffs last year.

Anyway no present Canucks were on the 2012 Clear Day List (not even Tanev) so none of them can be sent down as I understand it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

.... mind you post-trade-deadline an NHL roster can have as many players as they like (no more 23 man limit) so no need to send someone down to make room for Ballard (I forgot about that in a post I put up a coupla weeks ago). So as soon as there is cap space available Ballard can return to the lineup, bouncing someone to the press box. I'm not gonna do the math but there is a point where Ballard's remaining salary will fit under the cap.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:.... mind you post-trade-deadline an NHL roster can have as many players as they like (no more 23 man limit) so no need to send someone down to make room for Ballard (I forgot about that in a post I put up a coupla weeks ago). So as soon as there is cap space available Ballard can return to the lineup, bouncing someone to the press box. I'm not gonna do the math but there is a point where Ballard's remaining salary will fit under the cap.

I thought the 23 man roster didn't not expire until the playoffs started. So if MG cannot send a player down, or waive a player with the intention of doing so and IF the roster cannot expand there is no way MG can make room.

The only way is if you are correct about the roster limit disappearing after trade deadline. Interesting.

I think Ballard will be held back until the last possible second, no other way to get him in the line up. This is a good thing since he is coming off the concussion and has shown he can get back into game shape pretty quickly. For a guy with virtually no injuries until he became a Canuck he sure has had a tough two years. But he and Tanev as the 5-6 make me feel better than any other combo right now.