GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

Post by mathonwy »

This PP is *facepalm*
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Ok.. here's a crazy idea.

Decline the power play.

We were actually playing ok until that 5 on 3. After the 5 on 3, Colorado had all the momentum.

This also happened in another game. Our powerless play is killing our momentum.

Oh man... it feels like the Canucks just want the game to end and its only the first period.

Yikes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Looks like we could be using CoHo's 1 goal and 1 assist and 7 shots on goal tonight. I think CoHo now has more goals in his last 3 games than fellow center iceman Hank Sedin does in his last 32 games. Shut Down Hockey baby!

Rome is an idiot, he kind of keeps adding to the mystique of how dirty we apparently are with his head hunting tonight, and this coming on the heels of Keith's elbow on Daniel's noggin.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Looks like we could be using CoHo's 1 goal and 1 assist and 7 shots on goal tonight. I think CoHo now has more goals in his last 3 games than fellow center iceman Hank Sedin does in his last 32 games. Shut Down Hockey baby!
Wake me up when Hodgson wins the Hart or Art Ross Trophies. Until then... :rofl:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Wondering how prepared we were for this game. I haven't seen us this behind the play in a while...

Down only 1 after having our asses handed to us all period...We'll take that. It is a 3 period game and it'll be interesting to see how gassed the Av's are by the third when playing this hard on every single puck. I suspect they'll be sucking wind later on, kind of like how the Flamers love to play.
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

That 5-on-3 was one of the best we've seen from this team this year. Henrik only stalled it a couple of times and even then he didn't kill it the way he sometimes does when he's not looking for the perfect brother-to-brother setup pass. The Avs blocked a ton of shots. The only thing they could have done better would be to have Henrik going into the slot for a rebound after a point shot. The Wingers seemed to let the man in front sit there by himself to battle against the 3 PK'ers alone. Made for a couple of missed opportunities.

Luongo is on his game tonight.

The youngsters are buzzing. The Canucks are hanging on thanks to their goaltender.

Our 5-on-4 PP is anemic so far. When it is that dry the coaches need to do something other than juggle the combinations.

Henrik is a better player without Daniel. He has to be quicker with his passes and he distributes the puck far better. He also shoots on occassion.

Mason "hit the crest" Raymond is flying out there. Too bad he still can't pick a corner and just rifles it straight at the goalie every time.....either that or misses the net completely.

PJ Stock and Hrudey standing there with sticks in their hands giving a "lesson" is priceless. No wonder CBC lost the Olympic bid. :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Looks like we could be using CoHo's 1 goal and 1 assist and 7 shots on goal tonight. I think CoHo now has more goals in his last 3 games than fellow center iceman Hank Sedin does in his last 32 games. Shut Down Hockey baby!
Wake me up when Hodgson wins the Hart or Art Ross Trophies. Until then... :rofl:
I hear ya brother, I guess my point is that when the Hanks and Kesler's of the world ain't lighting it up for ya down the middle a player like CoHo would be nice to help out on rippling the mesh when the two centre's ahead of him ain't. But no worries, we now have Pahlsson manning the 3rd line to prevent goals when we need goals. Shut Down Hockey, Baby!

Cody Hodgson's 19 goals and 20 assists for 39 points puts him in 3rd place in goals and 5th in points in the Rookie Scoring Race department. Of course Landeskog leads the way in both those categories at the momment
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm sure Hodgson trailing behind the play by 20 feet would've been all we needed. Dude, CoHo can't skate worth shit. How the hell would he have been a factor unless it's losing his check and collecting a minus?
Maybe on the PP yes but there's more to the game than 2nd unit powerplay one timers
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Uncle dans leg wrote: Down only 1 after having our asses handed to us all period...We'll take that. It is a 3 period game and it'll be interesting to see how gassed the Av's are by the third when playing this hard on every single puck. I suspect they'll be sucking wind later on, kind of like how the Flamers love to play.
I think we're the ones that are gassed. Tough game vs. Chicago. Intesne game vs. Dallas. Now on to Colorado. Dallas and Colorado are both fighting for their playoff lives.

The good thing is these are playoff style games. If the Canucks were content to sleep-walk until game 1 of the playoffs, there's no way they do it now. There's now way to coast through games like these. Chicago hates us, and these teams are already playing playoff hockey.

My opinion: Bring it on. Get the cobwebs out now, fellas, the real games start MIGHTY soon.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Rome is an idiot, he kind of keeps adding to the mystique of how dirty we apparently are with his head hunting tonight, and this coming on the heels of Keith's elbow on Daniel's noggin.
Usually I'm the first to jump on the bash Rome band-wagon, hell, I'm usually driving it, but not right now. His hit was far less an example of headhunting than Kobasew's was shortly after.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:That 5-on-3 was one of the best we've seen from this team this year. Henrik only stalled it a couple of times and even then he didn't kill it the way he sometimes does when he's not looking for the perfect brother-to-brother setup pass. The Avs blocked a ton of shots. The only thing they could have done better would be to have Henrik going into the slot for a rebound after a point shot. The Wingers seemed to let the man in front sit there by himself to battle against the 3 PK'ers alone. Made for a couple of missed opportunities.
The best at not getting any shots on goal.

The passing was anemic and uncreative and as a result, the Avs had all the time in the world to get into shooting lanes.

Seriously, did Varlamov have to make any hard saves during the 5-on-3? I don't recall any (it sucks that I don't have a PVR!!)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:I'm sure Hodgson trailing behind the play by 20 feet would've been all we needed. Dude, CoHo can't skate worth shit. How the hell would he have been a factor unless it's losing his check and collecting a minus?
Maybe on the PP yes but there's more to the game than 2nd unit powerplay one timers
I hear ya bro, it just amazes me that he has managed to put up 19 goals and 20 assists in his rookie year spending most of the season on the 3rd line with average wingers and 2nd unit power play time and limited Time On Ice.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: I hear ya brother, I guess my point is that when the Hanks and Kesler's of the world ain't lighting it up for ya down the middle a player like CoHo would be nice to help out on rippling the mesh when the two centre's ahead of him ain't. But no worries, we now have Pahlsson manning the 3rd line to prevent goals when we need goals. Shut Down Hockey, Baby!
Dude, I'm with you on the Hodgson love. Got a signed Battalion Jersey of his (sickest CHL jersey, the Battalion). Love what the kid brings. But it's not what the Canucks need in the position he provides. I've gotten over it, because the Canucks>any individual player.

All that aside, I understand your worry. This is a team that couldn't score enough in the Finals last season. We trade a guy who scored some big goals for us already, for a guy that probably won't get any meaningful ones on a consistent basis for a year or two. We bring in a guy that scores 5 goals a year to play 3C. I get it...

But Hodgson is, and never was, going to replace Sedin or Kesler on this team. Not in the next 3 years at least, and certainly not if either go down this spring. There was no role for him. He's not a third line C. But I am glad he's now doing well in Buffalo. Like the kid, hate his dad.

Back to the game... the Canucks need to get their feet going. Rome is gone for the night. Costly road-trip already...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:
Mëds wrote:That 5-on-3 was one of the best we've seen from this team this year. Henrik only stalled it a couple of times and even then he didn't kill it the way he sometimes does when he's not looking for the perfect brother-to-brother setup pass. The Avs blocked a ton of shots. The only thing they could have done better would be to have Henrik going into the slot for a rebound after a point shot. The Wingers seemed to let the man in front sit there by himself to battle against the 3 PK'ers alone. Made for a couple of missed opportunities.
The best at not getting any shots on goal.

The passing was anemic and uncreative and as a result, the Avs had all the time in the world to get into shooting lanes.

Seriously, did Varlamov have to make any hard saves during the 5-on-3? I don't recall any (it sucks that I don't have a PVR!!)
True. But that was the first one in a while where they were at least taking shots instead of waiting for the defense to get out of their way.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The game is horrible.

Seriously.

I would definitely not enjoy being live at this game.