GDT - Canucks in the Lone Star state - 5 PM PST Mar 22 -SN-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks in the Lone Star state - 5 PM PST Mar 22 -

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mathonwy quit while you're behind. Stop licking the dude's ass , you're going to hit one of Bersnoozi's feet.
Lol..

I'm not licking anyone's ass. :)

I'm just commenting on Kassian's performance tonight.

You are certainly welcome to comment on Kassian's performance tonight as well and refute my points.
Without Kassian on the ice tonight, Raymond does not score the opening goal.

Kassian's size and Raymond's speed really did open the ice up for Henrik. If/when Daniel returns to the lineup I hope Vigneault gives Kassian a chance with the twins to see if he opens ice up a bit for them both. Raymond didn't really do much when playing with both Henrik and Daniel.

I agree with everyone who says that Kassian is gassed by the third period. He needs to work on his conditioning. However, the Canucks are one of the best conditioned teams in the NHL, so I would expect Kassian to be behind the curve in that department upon arrival.

Going back to last night, Kassian's presence in the middle of scrums with Chicago went a long ways. The Hawk's were total pussies last night. Keith was only willing to fire a parting shot at Kassian once he knew he was safe and about to exit into the Hawk's dressing room.

Kassian is going to get minutes with the Sedin's in the playoffs when the Canucks are up against teams that like to rough them up and push them around after the whistle. He is going to be a big contributor on this club for years to come. If he's not putting up points directly, he will be indirectly helping out by giving his linemates some breathing room and opposing goalies fits in front of the net.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Alot of good things from tonight's game.

Schneider was the best player on the Canucks tonight. Rome was second best.

Raymond found a match and some gasoline it seems. Good for him.

The entire team is willing to engage after the whistle. Not losing their heads, just giving as good as they get. Officiating was brutal.....again. The NHL is a joke when it comes to integrity.

My favorite part of tonight's game, other than the W of course, was when the faceoff was to the right of Schneider in the third period, Kesler got tossed, Booth skated by him to take his place, they shared a look, Kesler lined up next to Burrows, they looked at each other, Kesler said a couple of things, Booth put the puck forward (or the Dallas center drew it back), and before it was even a foot behind the Star's centerman, both Kes and Bur were charging the Dallas point man. The result was almost a turnover and an odd man rush for the Canucks.....goofy bounce. :(

What I liked was the coordinated effort and the confidence they had to make that play. The Dallas point man had to rush to make a play on the puck, and regardless of who won the draw there was no way the Stars were going to be controlling the puck and setting up. Was just cool to see that unfold. The chemistry this team has is what puts them head and shoulders above most of the league.....even despite the recent slump.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I'm flabbergasted that anyone thinks Kassian is slower than Hodgson. Zack skates just fine. As a matter of fact I'm surprised how good his wheels are considering the negative reports immediately post trade.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone can critque his play as poor last night.

He was credited with one hit but that is out of town stats guys, he clearly had 3 or 4 decent bangs, was a plus 2, had 3 shots on goal, got in Neals face and shoved him from the crease to the boards when he imposed on Corys territory, was a big presence in front of the net on Raymonds goal bothering both Lehtonen and the defender allowing Mason to be wide open and he got right in Fiddlers face when he shoved Hank into the boards which we'll notice did not happen again. Dude did what he was supposed to do last night. I certainly do not recall AV do a whole lot of line juggling until the last 10 minutes protecting a one goal lead.

HW reports that Ott was never considered by GMMG once the asking price was Cody. Thankfully mathonwy was not GM that day, sorry bud but thats a bad trade right there.

Chris Tanev looks pretty fukin good out there regardless of his partner.

Cory Schneider is a gen-u-ine stud, just keep your stick off the puck bud.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

For playing back to back after the Chicago game I'm ok with the result.

I gotta agree with the folks saying Kassian did his job. Was in the action, banging bodies, openning space and did what he had to do.

As for the constant whine about being outta gass.. back to back games, everyone was outta gas by the third period or did you miss Bieksa looking like he needed an oxygen mask on the bench late in the third?? Also, I've been down on MayRay as of late and thus, I was very pleased to see him playing with some fire and getting a goal. Hopefully it continues.

Two points, Ginger was good except for some bad puck handling, MayRay back on the board and the team didn't get pushed around.

Lol for Hansen feeding that guy uppercuts after the cheap shot.

I am gruntled... for now.

P.S. for an opposition team feed, the commentators were very good. Balanced and entertaining.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Kassian is a boy playing with men at this point. His one advantage is his size and he is using that. He is not a weak skater and he does show signs of having a decent pair of hands. What the kid needs is time and training to develop his skills. Bert did not blossom until he was 25 under Crow's system. The Canucks pay much more attention to player development now. With development will come confidence to be more assertive and creative offensively just like CH did this year. He will also learn the defensive part of the game something Bert never learned until he went to Detroit.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote: HW reports that Ott was never considered by GMMG once the asking price was Cody. Thankfully mathonwy was not GM that day, sorry bud but thats a bad trade right there.
:P
I dunno man.

Steve Ott was the 2nd highest ice time forward for the Stars last night (18:53) and he was typically first person in every scrum and first on every forecheck. He plays a very inspired game and is typically in the middle of everything.

Kassian played a total of 10:30 and yes he was effective on the first goal.

First goal, MayRay carries it into the Dallas zone with his speed, Kassian gets in front the net, Dallas blows their defensive coverage and forgets to cover MayRay, Hank makes a fantastic pass and magically gets it to MayRay who buries it. Kassian doesn't create the chance, more like, allows it to happen because his big body and the blown Dallas D coverage.

Second goal was a great passing play from Kassian to Hank to May Ray, Hank acts a decoy, May Ray makes a perfect pass to Bieksa and Bieksa scores on his second attempt. Another blown coverage by the Dallas D and not really anything created by Kassian.

Yes, there is no doubt that Kassian provides a big body presence on the ice. What I don't see from him is speed and energy. He's slow in the corners and has almost no acceleration. In essence, he is not the type of player that I expect to see when watching the Canucks.

The Canuck game for the last few years is puck possession and quick strike turnover offense. I feel that the Canucks reinvented themselves (for the worse) at the trade deadline with Sami Paulsson and Zack Kassian and got a lot slower. Sami, I don't have an opinion on yet and I haven't been impressed with Kassian.

I bring Steve Ott up because his name was mentioned in trade deadline talks and as we've had to play Dallas a number of times in the last month, I've gotten a chance to see him play a lot and I have to say I like what I see. He's a good blend of speed, energy and douchebaggery and plays in all situations. PP, PK and 5v5.

I'll put it this way.

In a seven game series, I'd rather have Steve Ott. He can play wing, he can play center, he's fast, he can play on all of the lines without skipping a beat and he gets the opponent off their game through his incessant yapping.

In a 4 year hockey plan, Zack Kassian obviously has higher potential than Steve Ott.

Today, Friday, March 23, 2012, I don't care what happens in 4 years. What happens in 4 years will happen in 4 years and I'll worry about it then. Today, I care about what happens in 4 weeks and Ott brings more of what we need right now than Kassian.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...today you are not running the team.

You are regarding this completely from a fans perspective, totally your right of course, but not from GMMG's.

His mantra is that he WILL NOT trade youth for age.

Ever.

Overall, from the GM's seat, the Kassian deal is significantly better.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that in two years when we rehash this discussion (and Ott is playing in New York) you are glad we have Kassian.

I don't know how you can complain about Pahlsson. That 3rd line has been very, very good and he and Hansen clearly work well together. Samis stats last night....4 hits...16 1/2 minutes of ice...time on a o'fer PK...9-3 in the circle.

The organization MADE A DECISION that they were not happy with the 3rd line center going into the post season and that Malhotra wasn't going to cut it this year. They felt that Cody WAS NOT adapatable enough for this team and that he WOULD NOT be supplanting Hank or Kes anytime soon thus he was redundant.

That is all I am going to say about this deal for the rest of this season.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

donlever wrote:I don't know how you can complain about Pahlsson. That 3rd line has been very, very good and he and Hansen clearly work well together. Samis stats last night....4 hits...16 1/2 minutes of ice...time on a o'fer PK...9-3 in the circle.

The organization MADE A DECISION that they were not happy with the 3rd line center going into the post season and that Malhotra wasn't going to cut it this year. They felt that Cody WAS NOT adapatable enough for this team and that he WOULD NOT be supplanting Hank or Kes anytime soon thus he was redundant.

from a PM I sent around prior to the deadline,
I know this will throw sand in the vaseline of the bukkake fest going on over the pimply faced boy wonder, but I would like to see a 3rd/4th line centre who can play in all the scenarios those roles entail.
As for your comment on Tanev Donny. The kid is cool as a cucumber handling the puck and willing to stand in there and take the hit to make the play. He had me laughing thinking about how Edler heard the footsteps and would fumble at that age. He needs to become more physical when engaging opponents, but from what I recall of his play last year, that too is coming around.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote:...today you are not running the team.
I never said I was. I'm not sure where this comment comes from.
donlever wrote: You are regarding this completely from a fans perspective, totally your right of course, but not from GMMG's.

His mantra is that he WILL NOT trade youth for age.

Ever.
It will be interesting to see if this stance ends up being a strength or a weakness. Ott at 29 is not old and is in alignment with the other core players of the Canuck team.
donlever wrote: Overall ,from the GM's seat, the Kassian deal is significantly better.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that in two years when we rehash this discussion (and Ott is playing in New York) you are glad we have Kassian.
To be determined and I hope you're right.
donlever wrote: I don't know how you can complain about Pahlsson. That 3rd line has been very, very good and he and Hansen clearly work well together. Samis stats last night....4 hits...16 1/2 minutes of ice...time on a o'fer PK...9-3 in the circle.
I'm not complaining about Sami. I specifically said I don't have an opinion on him? In general, I feel that the two acquisitions have made the team slower and that's what I don't like.
donlever wrote: The organization MADE A DECISION that they were not happy with the 3rd line center going into the post season and that Malhotra wasn't going to cut it this year. They felt that Cody WAS NOT adapatable enough for this team and that he WOULD NOT be supplanting Hank or Kes anytime soon thus he was redundant.

Donnie donnie donnie... I have never been against trading Coho for the right player. I just don't think they picked the right player based on our current needs.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

mathonwy wrote:
I never said I was. I'm not sure where this comment comes from.
Not meant as a slag, just trying to portray that your desire for the immediate does not mesh with GMMG's for now and the next decade.

GMMG was speaking specifically to the Ott vs. Hodgson query when making the comment I noted.
mathonwy wrote:
Donnie donnie donnie... I have never been against trading Coho for the right player. I just don't think they picked the right player based on our current needs.
Thats what I'm saying though.

The needs addressed were now and later.

We got Kass, Sammy, MAGS for now and later.

How that make us slower when all we lost is Cory I don't get. We'll agree to disagree on that.

It's a combo thang.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote:He needs to become more physical when engaging opponents, but from what I recall of his play last year, that too is coming around.

There is no question.

You can also see the confidence growing as he is more pro-active offensively when handling or carrying the puck now, demonstrating a willingness to move forward and attempt to create opportunity....
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote: How that make us slower when all we lost is Cory I don't get. We'll agree to disagree on that.

It's a combo thang.

Errrr, Cody right?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:Alot of good things from tonight's game.

Schneider was the best player on the Canucks tonight. Rome was second best.

Was Rome even playing? I thought it was Alberts, Tanev and MAGs out there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Rome is one of those players that's at his best when u don't notice him...specifically, in the pressbox.

Just kidding about Romer...couldn't resist. I actually like him slotted in at #6 for us.
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote:
donlever wrote: How that make us slower when all we lost is Cory I don't get. We'll agree to disagree on that.

It's a combo thang.

Errrr, Cody right?
Right.

I saw this smoking hot red head earlier today.

Gingers on the brain obviously.
DeLevering since 1999.