The Sedin & Keith Affair

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

The Sedin & Keith Affair

Post by Arachnid »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391070

3-5 games? No hearing before they examine Daniel? Wotta load o'shyte, if the league wants to take this crap out of the game then they have to make a bigger deal out of this..

In a way, Crosby coming back reset everything back to before...oh...he's OK then we don't have to do anything...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The Sedin & Keith Affair

Post by ESQ »

If Bob McKenzie is correct that the League is holding off on scheduling the hearing, it could still be in person.

The consensus amongst non-Canucks media seems to be 5+ games.

As an aside, has any team drawn more suspensions and fines than the Canucks?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I came In with just under 8mins in first and missed Daniel hit on keith. Can someone give me the lowdown ?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Shanny will wuss out and it'll be 3 games max.

It was terrible how the officials called that. They utterly changed the momentum in the game. In November/December Keith's hit would have been 2+5+10 and then a personal visit to Shanny.

Now its no worse than "Too many men" or "Delay of Game"
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

rats19 wrote:I came In with just under 8mins in first and missed Daniel hit on keith. Can someone give me the lowdown ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc

Just makes you shake your head why this wasn't a 5 plus a game. Some thing so blatant makes to question the officiating competency for the entire game/ games should these officials be employed period. Coco Canucks sums it up best of all
So there are three different ways to look at the NHL officiating:

1) The on-ice officials are incompetent.
2) The NHL head office influences the officiating, which in turn has a clear impact on games.
3) The NHL culture and normative routine/values of those running the league is rotten to the core and permeates without explication.
Would Keith/Chicago have had the jam to do that if Bitz was playing ? To tell you the truth I'm wondering about Kassian. Buffalo wanted rid of him because he wouldn't drop the gloves any more
Last edited by Fred on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fred wrote:
rats19 wrote:I came In with just under 8mins in first and missed Daniel hit on keith. Can someone give me the lowdown ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc
Thnx Fred.....I saw THE hit, but apparently it was retalitory..and Daniel hit him first??
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

This is what annoys me about the suspension protocol and I know I've complained about this before. If you want to truly get rid of this crap THE INJURY SHOULD NOT BE A FACTOR IN DETERMINING DISCIPLINE. A resulting injury is not the norm so you end up only really punishing the rare incidents. There is very little reason for players to clean up their act when 95% of the time no one gets hurt so, at most, discipline is a slap on the wrist. But they do it so fine for hockey plays gone bad perhaps we can accept it.

In this type of hit injury should absolutely not be any bearing on Sedin's injury to the punishment. This was an all out attempt to injure. Nothing about this was a hockey play. This is the time where it must be the act that should be disciplined. It is a play that does not belong in hockey.

He'll get 3 games which is sad because of all the suspensions handed out this is one that virtually sits alone in a category on it's own. This was premeditated retribution several shifts later. This is worse the Marchand hit where at least his hit was retribution for something that happened on the same damn shift seconds earlier. Think about it, Keith will get 3 regular season games for a clear and deliberate intent to injure where Rome gets 4 stanley cup final games plus a couple more regular season games for interference on a hit that was a fraction of second late (remember the NHL said very clearly there was nothing wrong with that hit just the timing of it). How ludicrous is that?

I'm not going to go so far as to say it was Bertuzzi-Moore-esque but it sure holds a lot in common with it IMO. A phone hearing for it is a joke and man I hope there are 28 other GMs on the phone with the NHL calling for the stiffest of sentences. I know there won't be, but there should be.
Last edited by tantalum on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

rats19 wrote: Thnx Fred.....I saw THE hit, but apparently it was retalitory..and Daniel hit him first??
To me retaliatory means Daniel hit him a few seconds earlier and a still hot Keith got some revenge. The reality is the Daniel hit took place several shifts earlier so it moves from retaliatory to premeditated.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

tantalum wrote:
rats19 wrote: Thnx Fred.....I saw THE hit, but apparently it was retalitory..and Daniel hit him first??
To me retaliatory means Daniel hit him a few seconds earlier and a still hot Keith got some revenge. The reality is the Daniel hit took place several shifts earlier so it moves from retaliatory to premeditated.
Understood tant, a skinny on Daniel hit was what I want. Premeditated retaliation has been a part of hockey since before ice froze ..
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

tantalum wrote:
rats19 wrote: Thnx Fred.....I saw THE hit, but apparently it was retaliatory..and Daniel hit him first??
Not only premeditated but in fact Keith made threats on the ice that this was going to happen. Henrik Sedins post game comments
cheers
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ok. Read my post....

Can someone describe the circumstances surrounding Daniel sedins hit on Duncan Keith ..which caused the premeditated retaliation response from kieth.

Thnx
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Fred wrote:
Not only premeditated but in fact Keith made threats on the ice that this was going to happen. Henrik Sedins post game comments
Unfortunately such comments won't be evidence given they are heresay. So unless an official heard those remarks AND is willing to report them they won't be taken into account.

I know premeditated retaliation has always been around hockey (well human nature in general), it doesn't make it acceptable or a part of the game. It was disgusting when Bertuzzi did it and it remains so.

Daniel hit on Keith: Keith played the puck up ice/around the boards. Daniel came in from behind Keith as he was admiring his pass and finished his check delivering a side on hit. In the delivering the hit and the fact that Keith bent his head forward there was contact made between Daniel's shoulder and Keith's head. It was a hard hit....probably the hardest Daniel has ever thrown. However, based on previous explanations by Shanahan the hit itself while hitting the head was ultimately a full on body check (it wasn't only the head that was hit). And the replay is pretty bad but it looks like the first contact is shoudler to shoulder. It was likely a 2 minute minor for boarding as it was hard and perhaps a bit late but nothing more. Essentially every media member thinks 2 minute minor and nothing more.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

This is still a very shocking incident to me.

Keith didn't even try to hide his elbow. The puck was flipped into their direction, Daniel was tracking it in the air, Keith sees Daniel preoccupied with the puck and decides to launch an elbow at his head.

Very similar to Doan's hit except for the fact that DANIEL DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE PUCK.

The Benn hit was unfortunate as Benn should have had his head up and his teammates should have been yelling at him cautioning him that Doan was coming.

Daniel had no chance at all.

This act was absolutely premediated, malicious and gutless. We all know that Vancouver and Chicago have a ugly past. The two teams don't like each other one bit. But there's a difference between 2 minutes penalties from being too rough, face washing, finger biting and slashes and then there's sucker elbows to the head.

And FUCK YOU REFS. Seriously. A BIG WHOLE HEARTED AND OBJECTIVE FUCK YOU.

There's inconsistent reffing and there's complete and utter incompetence.

2 minutes for a sucker elbow to the head is complete and utter competence.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I think Keith deserves a couple of games for the hit. Hank was quite pissed seeing his bro knocked out like that. I just hope that if it was not Daniel and somebody else got hit like that (like a rookie like Tanev), as captain of the team, Hank would react the same way.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Wanna get your blood boiling boyz...

Read this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ro ... 138.column

EXCERPT: And then Keith turned stupid. Then he became a Canuck. Then he sunk to Vancouver’s gutless, cheap-shot levels. He should know better. All the Hawks should.

Friends don’t let friends act like Canucks.
DeLevering since 1999.