GDT - Canucks vs Hawks 5 PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Hawks 5 PM PST TSN

Post by Meds »

So yeah, dirty headshot by Keith. 2 for elbowing? That was an obvious 5 and a game for a headshot.

Then a soft call on Bieksa, not undeserved, but soft nonetheless.

Then Burrows gets a shorthanded chance, gets roughed up and facewashed by Kane, and Burrows goes to the box for roughing. Is O'Halloran blind or just being paid? Ridiculous.

Good to see that all it took was for Hank's balls to "drop" was his brother getting concussed by Keith.

Great emotion from Vancouver here. I like that they are answering the Keith's hit a bit, I hope they target him all night.

Officiating is terrible though.

Maybe this was what we needed. Torres woke Chicago up by nailing Seabrook last year, maybe Keith just snapped the Canucks out of their funk.

Agree with S_C.....open season on Keith if the refs wanna leave him in the game after that.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

So.. what IS Hank really made of. That's the question.

Taking a shitty hooking penalty isn't exactly inspiring leadership.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Southern_Canuck wrote: The officials chose to leave Keith in the game - I say Open Season.

S_C
And you get your wish. The Canucks are throwing this one to send the message, so far.

I really wished Kassian just dropped them and pumped Seabrooks eyes closed. Love the upper cut Bieksa landed on Keith. Pretty sure they gave him a 10 just to save him from the Canucks. The guy is going to get hurt tonight. The only thing saving him from Bieksa beating his face in Ryan Gossling-in-"Drive" style is the score.

As far as the hockey game goes... Luongo has been keeping us in it. We haven't mustered much at all, and I can't see us doing much now that Daniel is out and the boys have lost their collective minds.

I'm okay with it. This whole "stay healthy for the playoffs and take it easy" just went out the window thanks to Duncan Keith. Time to go on the offensive fellas. Still would like Alberts to not play like a midget and earn his press-box time. More honourable being suspended up there than a healthy scratch, bud. ;)

Agree with Mëds on the officiating. The most playoff-like game in months, probably league-wide, and they decide to start calling the stupid shit now? Crawford moves right into Henrik and goes down like a ton of bricks. Fuck off.
Last edited by Island Nucklehead on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

HORRENDOUS OFFICIATING.

WORSTE THIS YEAR.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

First legitimate call against us right there. 2 for hooking on Hank. No question it's a penalty.....although the league has pretty much been letting that go all over the place of late.

Not sure why the refs think that Chicago needs their protection on all the other calls.

Love what Keith said to Kassian, "You've been a real good addition here...". Now that Scott is gone, every player on the Hawk's bench is probably scared to tangle with Kassian. Keith sure wasn't gonna be saying that until he was on his way off at the Chicago bench. LMAO!

I hope that come playoffs we see alot more of what we are seeing tonight from the Canucks. We are now a MUCH tougher team than the Hawk's are. I can't actually think of a team in the top 10 in the West that could really threaten us with toughness. If the Canucks show this kind of team toughness and emotion in the playoffs we will simply need to make sure our PK is firing on all cylinders.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: I hope that come playoffs we see alot more of what we are seeing tonight from the Canucks. We are now a MUCH tougher team than the Hawk's are. I can't actually think of a team in the top 10 in the West that could really threaten us with toughness. If the Canucks show this kind of team toughness and emotion in the playoffs we will simply need to make sure our PK is firing on all cylinders.
I hope we don't. Losing our minds is what cost us dearly in the Chicago series a couple years back. It's fine and dandy in this meaningless game. But a real smart move would've been to have Kassian or Bieksa take a an instigator penalty by grabbing Kane and feeding him until the brawl erupts. Fuck with our stars, Pat Kane can say "thankth for the mithing teeth, Duncan." I'm okay with the entire game being a circus now, at least the Canucks aren' sleep-walking through hockey games anymore...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: I hope that come playoffs we see alot more of what we are seeing tonight from the Canucks. We are now a MUCH tougher team than the Hawk's are. I can't actually think of a team in the top 10 in the West that could really threaten us with toughness. If the Canucks show this kind of team toughness and emotion in the playoffs we will simply need to make sure our PK is firing on all cylinders.
I hope we don't. Losing our minds is what cost us dearly in the Chicago series a couple years back. It's fine and dandy in this meaningless game. But a real smart move would've been to have Kassian or Bieksa take a an instigator penalty by grabbing Kane and feeding him until the brawl erupts. Fuck with our stars, Pat Kane can say "thankth for the mithing teeth, Duncan." I'm okay with the entire game being a circus now, at least the Canucks aren' sleep-walking through hockey games anymore...
I don't think we've lost our minds here. We are playing the same game that everyone else in this situation would, usually we simply let opponents have their way with our players and do nothing about it. I think the refs have mishandled this one badly, moreover the penalties they are handing out are very questionable. In all the scrums we have come out with the extra penalty when it is pretty obvious that Chicago has instigated at least 2 of them, and in the others it is pretty clear cut and obvious that both teams are engaging and we should be seeing 4-on-4 hockey.

Ok, LMAO off at the panel right now. Showing Daniel hit Keith and saying it came "way late". Ummm. No. That is the slowest I have ever seen them replay a hit. Ever. Nothing like playing the media game there. At most Daniel was a second late on that hit, and he probably doesn't hit him in the head if Keith isn't leaning forward watching his pass. Regardless, onus is on the hitter.

Love what the panel is now saying about Keith's hit. Totally throwing him under the bus.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The canucks haven't lost their minds. They are simply doing what everyone says they are incapable of doing...standing up after a cheap shot. The refs are the one that have decided to continue to punish the team that received the cheap shot by selectively giving them an extra penalty when no one would care if things were even up. I can't believe the refs think this "controls" a game like this.

The game is still 1-1 and they've got some licks in.

The Daniel on Keith hit wasn't a big deal. Maybe a fine to Daniel but you have to slow it down to extra slow motion to make it look bad. The Keith on Daniel hit is intent to injure no matter which way you look at it and thanks to the previous hit he took 4 shifts earlier is now premeditation. It should be a pretty lengthy suspension.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hahaha - this game is making me so fucking angry - Kane's smug little face...

I guess this is why I was kicked out of a few hockey games.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: I don't think we've lost our minds here. We are playing the same game that everyone else in this situation would, usually we simply let opponents have their way with our players and do nothing about it. I think the refs have mishandled this one badly, moreover the penalties they are handing out are very questionable. In all the scrums we have come out with the extra penalty when it is pretty obvious that Chicago has instigated at least 2 of them, and in the others it is pretty clear cut and obvious that both teams are engaging and we should be seeing 4-on-4 hockey.
Well here's hoping the Canucks come out in the third and actually try to win the game. We've been horribly out-shot and out-chanced so far (thank you, stripes). We're probably "due" a few calls, but we have to make them A) happen, and B) capitalize when they do. If the Canucks keep trying to bully the Hawks (fine by me, we've been starved of toughness for too long on this team), then we're probably toast. Lost in all this is Luongo having himself a stellar game.
Ok, LMAO off at the panel right now. Showing Daniel hit Keith and saying it came "way late". Ummm. No. That is the slowest I have ever seen them replay a hit. Ever. Nothing like playing the media game there. At most Daniel was a second late on that hit, and he probably doesn't hit him in the head if Keith isn't leaning forward watching his pass. Regardless, onus is on the hitter.

Love what the panel is now saying about Keith's hit. Totally throwing him under the bus.
The point they made about the Bourque hit is certainly valid. If Bourque got 5 games for that little chicken-wing, then Keith deserves 7-10 for that garbage. Knowing the NHL, he'll get 3 games when Shanahan spins his "wheel-of-bullshit" and makes a silly video to justify his random number selection.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doan has just been assessed a 3 or 5 (can't remember which) game suspension for his elbow on Benn. Doan did not target, it was a "drive by" and he just reacted as Benn moved out of the way of a hit. Keith targeted. I liked what Aaron Ward said, "The puck is way up in the air, Keith is lined up and coming before the pass is made, there is no way the puck is going to be retrieved by Sedin, Keith makes no move to locate the puck, he just follows through with an elbow to the head of a guy who is looking for the puck up in the air."

That's a predatory hit, and Keith should get the rest of the season for that, it was predatory, and there was a clear intent to injure by targeting the head. If Marchand gets a lengthy suspension for trying to flip Salo, intentionally targeting the head of a vulnerable player in what can be deemed retaliatory, should be an easy 8-10 games. Especially in Daniel is out for any length of time.

I for one am not expecting to see Daniel again during the regular season, if for no other reasons than precautionary.....
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

If someone was to happen to, oh say, crosscheck Keith in the face against the run of play, I would not be sad. Like really hard. Breaking bones hard. It would not upset me. Just to be clear.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

5 shots for May Ray.

Best game of the season for him.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Canucks got things back under control and started to play well....except against Hossa. Guy has been causing them fits all night.

Well deserved point.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote:The Keith on Daniel hit is intent to injure no matter which way you look at it and thanks to the previous hit he took 4 shifts earlier is now premeditation. It should be a pretty lengthy suspension.
If Keith gets a lengthy suspension for that hit (5+ games)... well I'd say I'll eat my hat but instead I'll just say that it will restore some faith in the league's authority and objectivity, and that's nearly as incredible.