GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
RD has really started to become a braying donkey. I get the whole "stir the pot" MO, but Dude's the new Dado of the board.

I just skip the posts.
RD and I have been frequenting boards like this for 16 years or so.

He has been one of my favourite dudes historically.

Great guy, funny, intelligent talk, a fan, a cyber pal...

Braying donkey is an excellent description of what we see now.

Sadly to say I skip over all his posts as well.

Sorry to say but truth!

I'm actually surprised he gets so much response, he's laughing behind his keyboard folks.
When you say 'skip' I hope that is metaphorically and not physically 'cause that's just plain 'rong :D

'Dude has been invading boards and driving people insane since his buddy Gore invented the interwebs...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Arachnid wrote: 'Dude has been invading boards and driving people insane since his buddy Gore invented the interwebs...
I disagree to a point and I know Cornuck is gonna shut me down here so I'll say this but once.

He's always had an inkling of mischief to him for sure but there was another side to him as well which was able to converse intellectually about the game and the team as opposed to simply and obviously tossing bait out in an effort to annoy or cajole.

Now he is little more than an impish troll clogging up threads with drivel.

If there was a CC ignore button at this CC it would be the first time I have ever used the feature.

Sad to say about this particular user but factual nonetheless.
DeLevering since 1999.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Well the team has set themselves up for one of two things:

1) they flip the switch against the Hawks and show everyone that yes they can flip that switch when they want, as they did against Boston, Detroit, and the Blues. I would appreciate if they kept it flipped for a few games in a row. I also still think they played quite well in the Coyotes game but lost because of poor goaltending and the Coyotes capitalzing on the few chances they had. The switch was flipped on.

or

2) they are unable to flip that switch and get creamed. The game is a wake up call and that they need to start working on things now.

I honestly expect #1 to occur for the 18 skaters. I'm not sure what will happen with the goaltending (assuming it is Luongo getting the start).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote:Well the team has set themselves up for one of two things:

1) they flip the switch against the Hawks and show everyone that yes they can flip that switch when they want, as they did against Boston, Detroit, and the Blues. I would appreciate if they kept it flipped for a few games in a row. I also still think they played quite well in the Coyotes game but lost because of poor goaltending and the Coyotes capitalzing on the few chances they had. The switch was flipped on.

or

2) they are unable to flip that switch and get creamed. The game is a wake up call and that they need to start working on things now.

I honestly expect #1 to occur for the 18 skaters. I'm not sure what will happen with the goaltending (assuming it is Luongo getting the start).
Pretty much how I see it too, Tant. Either way, we'll know tomorrow.

It's fine to want to get to the playoffs healthy and what not, but there isn't a team in the NHL that hates the Canucks more, and vice versa. Say what you want about the Canucks/Bruins animosity, THIS is the real rivalry. They absolutely hate each other and if you can't get up for these games something is most certainly wrong.

Also, I think this is the type of game where we'll see what we have in Kassian. If it goes to the trenches, and if reffing in the NHL is anything close to what we've seen these past couple months it probably will, I fully expect we'll need him to smash some mouths along the wall and in front of their net.

We'll see what Luongo we get. He should be feeling the pressure, for goalies that have played 25 games this season Schneider is 5th in GAA and 3rd in Save Percentage. IMO the best goalie should be starting come playoff time and if Luongo doesn't "turn it on" soon he should be on the bench. Since the Blues shutout he's 0-3 (didn't take the Buffalo loss) with a GAA of 4.00 and a Save % of .844. Yikes.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Benjo wrote:This game was further proof the NHL has no respect for the Sedins and why they tell teammates not to defend them.
The problem is not just the Sedins getting no respect from the league but also Kesler. Cullen slashed Kesler's stick away and got a few scoring chances out of it. Most of the time, it is a penalty but just not last night. Kesler got a highstick and no call again. The league is just so consistently inconsistent. :evil:
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Jovocop wrote:
Benjo wrote:This game was further proof the NHL has no respect for the Sedins and why they tell teammates not to defend them.
The problem is not just the Sedins getting no respect from the league but also Kesler. Cullen slashed Kesler's stick away and got a few scoring chances out of it. Most of the time, it is a penalty but just not last night. Kesler got a highstick and no call again. The league is just so consistently inconsistent. :evil:

Kesler was also sticked in the throat. Gilbert broke his stick cross checking Burrows. Spurgeon corkscrewed Henrik to the ice with 10 seconds to play which resulted in the EN goal. Hansen never touched the goalie, was interfered with before not touching the goalie. Vancouver may not be in playoff form, but the refs are.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I think the zebras were bad all around and I'm quite certain they missed a lot of penalties that the Canucks took as well.

When watching the game, I'm trying to expand my focus of view from just the Canuck player to entire game and liberties were taken by both teams that were not called.

However, that penalty on Burrows was BS. But, we should be able to kill a 25th ranked powerplay.

You know you got a problem when both your tender and the defenseman (Rome) go for the shooter and whiff.

Something that was just brought up by a Team1040 caller, the Kesler low bridge on Clutterbuck

This is bad shit and has no place on the ice. If the Wild actually mattered in the NHL, there would be some major repercussions from this.

What the fuck was Kesler doing???
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol @ Buttercup chirping.

That said though , that is a cheap hit. Suspend him for a game . He had the knee on knee with Zetterburg earlier this season, so his intent is something that should be called into question.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol @ Buttercup chirping.

That said though , that is a cheap hit. Suspend him for a game . He had the knee on knee with Zetterburg earlier this season, so his intent is something that should be called into question.
Yeah I agree. A one game suspension is in order for something like this.

Imagine if Clutterbuck actually got his knees blown out because of this hit? :mad:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

All in all that was a crap game of hockey. No wonder there were so many empty seats and why I chose to watch a re run of an old Law & Order.

Next game Chicago...now this could be really embarrassing. Make sure come Wednesday night you have an alternative form of entertainment handy :D
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

mathonwy wrote:I think the zebras were bad all around and I'm quite certain they missed a lot of penalties that the Canucks took as well.

When watching the game, I'm trying to expand my focus of view from just the Canuck player to entire game and liberties were taken by both teams that were not called.

However, that penalty on Burrows was BS. But, we should be able to kill a 25th ranked powerplay.

You know you got a problem when both your tender and the defenseman (Rome) go for the shooter and whiff.

Something that was just brought up by a Team1040 caller, the Kesler low bridge on Clutterbuck

This is bad shit and has no place on the ice. If the Wild actually mattered in the NHL, there would be some major repercussions from this.

What the fuck was Kesler doing???
I am not trying to rationalize Kesler's wrong doing. Could it be a byproduct of bad officiating?? Kesler just has to take out his frustration but in the wrong fashion...
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Per wrote:
cjc wrote:Neither Sedin has proved yet that he can elevate his play significantly when the playoffs arrive so sorry for the shaking knees. I guess I should have more faith because someone is sure to come through right?

Chicago is a test. Let's hope the good guys pass. Or maybe an ass-kicking is in order.
While the Sedin may not have proven that they can elevate their game in the playoffs...

( I mean, how could they? The past two seasons they have been among the top five players in the league. If you elevate from that... what are we talking here? Wayne Gretzky at his best? :eh: )

... they have still done fairly well over the past three playoffs, imho, averaging roughly a point per game.
Here are their post-lockout playoff stats:

Henrik:
06/07 12 2 2 4
08/09 10 4 6 10
09/10 12 3 11 14
10/11 25 3 19 22

Daniel:
06/07 12 2 3 5
08/09 10 4 6 10
09/10 12 5 9 14
10/11 25 11 9 20

The slight drop in production in 10/11 was almost entirely the result of the final seven against Boston, when Henrik was playing injured. If you do not count the seven games against Boston, the 10/11 numbers look like this:
Henrik: 18 2 19 21
Daniel: 18 10 6 16

And yes, I do realise that they should have delivered against Boston as well (at least Daniel managed to score four points against them), but I think it was obvious for all that Henrik was not really in game shape.

This year they seem to be cruising into the playoffs while preparing for them, so I hope they will be in perfect shape when the time comes and the chips are down. I believe this team can make at least as big a splash as they did last year! 8-)
Good thing you didn't mention their +/- which was the worst in the playoffs for forwards.. Basically they were on the ice form most of the goals scored against the Canucks.. they were on for all 4 in the final playoff game.. That does need elevating..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Tiger wrote: Good thing you didn't mention their +/- which was the worst in the playoffs for forwards.. Basically they were on the ice form most of the goals scored against the Canucks.. they were on for all 4 in the final playoff game.. That does need elevating..
Funny how the unreliable, and not always clear +/- stat is the only one you really have to boost your argument.

Are you seriously neglecting everything Per said by doubling down on the +/- stat?

:lol:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tiger wrote:Good thing you didn't mention their +/- which was the worst in the playoffs for forwards.. Basically they were on the ice form most of the goals scored against the Canucks.. they were on for all 4 in the final playoff game.. That does need elevating..
It's a small sample size so it's tough to use these stats as indicators of their play (of course, using even more infrequent events like goals becomes even less reliable but nevermind that) but the Sedins were far and away leaders among Canucks in Corsi figures indicating they were dominant in terms of possession. They also had an abysmal PDO and while you can argue they are accountable for the team's shooting percentage on the ice there's not much they could have done about the .885 goaltending while they were on the ice.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

You can tug on Supermans cape,

You can spit into the wind,

You can pull, the mask, off that old Lone Ranger,

But you...

...shouldn't bother arguing with a Sedin basher at this point in time because it will NEVER, EVER make a damned bit of difference to them, their mind is made up.

Jim Croce (from the grave)

Thankysa
DeLevering since 1999.