Are the Sedins on the Decline?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Are the Sedins on the decline?

No, they're fine, just in a slump
74%
Yes, we're doomed
11%
No sure, still too early to say
15%

Total votes: 47

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Are the Sedins on the Decline?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I hate to bring this up with the playoffs just around the corner, but are the Sedins on the decline? I think it's still early and hard to say, but I'm a bit concerned. Also factor in that we traded our best offensive prospect in slick centre Cody Hodg, I dunno. I always liked the fact that we had Cody around, so when Hank's game goes south or retires, we'd have a 1-2 punch of Coho-Kes for the future.

I seeing some comparisons of the Sedins and when Naslund was declining. It was painful to watch Nasi's game detoriate. He was unable to stickhandle with authority through the neutral zone like he used to, didn't have that savy/confidence he once displayed when facing a goalie 1-1 and most importantly that wicked wrist shot that used to be money for the top shelf seemed to disappear. Ppl kept saying he missed Bert, AV was mishandling him, we didn't have the right players for him and injuries caught up with him. I would agree those were factors, but most importantly I thought that father time caught up with him. "We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't... don't know when that's gonna be. Some of us are told at eighteen, some of us are told at forty, but we're all told" (-Moneyball). After trying a fresh start and only one season with the Rangers, I think Nasi knew it too.

I hope I am wrong in my comparison. With the playoffs like a month a way and the lost of Cody, we're going to need high lvl hockey from the Sedins for at least a couple more years.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Are the Sedins on the Decline?

Post by coco_canuck »

Obviously the Twins are on the decline.

Superstars do not go on 7-8 game slumps, so by virtue of their recent struggles, we simply cannot call them superstars.

They've clearly lost an edge and are easily intimidated...how else do you explain their recent struggles?

It's either intimidation/pussification or they're skills have drastically diminished.

Since it's only one, or both of those, I'd say they and the Canucks are fucked.

Talk about a $12.2M anchor...Henrik is closer to being Francesco Schettino than he is to being Linden.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

coco_canuck wrote:Obviously the Twins are on the decline.

Superstars do not go on 7-8 game slumps, so by virtue of their recent struggles, we simply cannot call them superstars.

They've clearly lost an edge and are easily intimidated...how else do you explain their recent struggles?

It's either intimidation/pussification or they're skills have drastically diminished.

Talk about a $12.2M anchor...Henrik is closer to being Francesco Schettino than he is to being Linden.
:lol: tell us how you really feel?

*cough* *cough* bandwagoner *cough*

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote: Cocos rant
lol

...had enough of that topic for the time being have we?
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think there was some element of a regression to the mean this season (ie. the twins are comfortably top five/ten scorers in the league, not year-in year-out Hart/Art Ross/Lindsey guys) but obviously the last several games have a lot of people's undergarments in a twist, unnecessarily IMO as the point totals are not indicative of their current abilities.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

coco_canuck wrote:Obviously the Twins are on the decline.

:lol:

Ok, I needed a good laugh today.

Once you hit 30 in the NHL, most are deemed 'on the decline'. Whether your last name is Sedin or not. However, if you can still manage between 75-90 pts a year (and there are two of them), that's not too bad, is it?

All fans are frustrated but coco seems a little more so :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: ...had enough of that topic for the time being have we?

It's the same tired old argument as before, except now it's centred around age.

As if a 10-20 game sample after playing at a 90-100 point pace for over 50 games is substantive evidence showing their game has regressed and will only get worse.

How do people believe this shit?

I mean, I know the average person isn't all that smart, but holy shit do a large portion of Canucks fans/media take the cake when it comes to stupidity.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Odds are against the twins having more hart trophy years. Which means they are declining (regular season wise).

A roster with declining Hart trophy winners does not equate to doom. Having recent Hart trophy winners, with SCF experience, looks good going into the playoffs.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

There are too many variables at play to make simple minded blanket statements.

Short summer to train

Lesser motivation to do well in the regular season

Less motivated team to play with

Division title locked up really early

Regression in officiating

Less powerplay opportunities

Stronger, more defensive conference

Kesler was out early, is not the same Kesler as last year due to off season inability to train and Kesler was taking on defensive assignments to protect Hodgson, rather than drawing defensive matchups away from the Sedins.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Larry Goodenough wrote:There are too many variables at play to make simple minded blanket statements.
Short summer to train
Kesler was out early, is not the same Kesler as last year due to off season inability to train and Kesler was taking on defensive assignments to protect Hodgson, rather than drawing defensive matchups away from the Sedins.
So... ok.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

What happens next season?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

LotusBlossom wrote: All fans are frustrated but coco seems a little more so :)

Not actually frustrated, just find the bed wetting rather humorous....and Canucks fans/media never cease to amaze me.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote: Not actually frustrated, just find the bed wetting rather humorous....and Canucks fans/media never cease to amaze me.
The media are unreal!!

Like witches in Hamlet mixing up a brew of bullshit in an effort to stir up the masses.

I was driving at 11 today and switched on 1040. I tell ya after 45 seconds of Sekeres I had to turn it off.

Not because it was inducing anger or anything but just due to the fact it was like sour Candy floss.

"It's all just so much fluff Jerry."
DeLevering since 1999.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

mathonwy wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:There are too many variables at play to make simple minded blanket statements.
Short summer to train
So... ok.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

What happens next season?

Not sure what you mean. So I'll guess.

I think next year depends totally on the playoffs. A short playoff means roster changes, more motivation for the next year, longer off season to rest and train.

A long playoff means another kick at the can with simular challenges to this year.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Regression in officiating

Those two there are the big ticket here in regards to the Sedins.

They really came into their own after the lockout when they weren't trying to move the puck along the boards while having two defenders literally hang off of them. Now the officiating has decided that it's OK to let that happen again.

Most skill players end up on the decline when the game this goes this way. There are some exceptions to this rule, but generally they are players who put up their points away from the puck. Stamkos and Hull are two guys who really fit that bill. Killer shots, especially one-timers, decent speed, good at finding an open area and seeing the net. Willing to shoot every time the puck touches their stick. It also helps when a team's offense is geared to support that kind of hockey.

I'd also be willing to bet that if you moved the top 5 scoring leaders into the Western Conference they would probably all have 10 less points than they do now.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: "It's all just so much fluff Jerry."
I just can't listen to the TEAM anymore. I'll go on their website to listen to Gillis/Management/player interviews when they're done, but getting the oral version of CDC just doesn't do it for me.