GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby herb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 am

I had to leave for hockey early in both the Montreal and Phoenix games, and both times I was shocked when I showed up at my favouite watering hole for some after game beers and saw the third period score.

It looked like we were taking the boots to both of these teams. I'm not sure what happened, but the highlights of the goals against were U-G-L-Y. Seems as though the defence has been mailing it in.

Maybe we need to get back on the road??? :?
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Another goal goes in off Brule's shoulder.

This game could have easily gone the other way.

Total scoring chances were 23-15 for Vancouver. They were also 7-3 for Vancouver at even strength when the score was tied. The process was there, the result wasn't.

A little luck, a little goaltending or officiating going their way, this board would have a different feel this morning.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Arachnid » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am

Larry Goodenough wrote:No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Another goal goes in off Brule's shoulder.

This game could have easily gone the other way.

Total scoring chances were 23-15 for Vancouver. They were also 7-3 for Vancouver at even strength when the score was tied. The process was there, the result wasn't.

A little luck, a little goaltending or officiating going their way, this board would have a different feel this morning.


Soooooo you're blaming puck luck now and not HW for boffing RoboLou?! :eh:

A greed....they looked mucho better, we have to learn to clutch. grab and high stick and get a way with it...just like the 90's 8-)
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

Arachnid wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Another goal goes in off Brule's shoulder.

This game could have easily gone the other way.

Total scoring chances were 23-15 for Vancouver. They were also 7-3 for Vancouver at even strength when the score was tied. The process was there, the result wasn't.

A little luck, a little goaltending or officiating going their way, this board would have a different feel this morning.


Soooooo you're blaming puck luck now and not HW for boffing RoboLou?! :eh:

A greed....they looked mucho better, we have to learn to clutch. grab and high stick and get a way with it...just like the 90's 8-)



Well, you take away the Doan goal due to a high stick penalty and put Vancouver on the PP. The PP was looking good, so you can assume Phoenix would have had to scoop the puck over the glass in a panic during the ensuing PP. That's then a 2 man advantage. As Quenneville would say "we would have scored 4 there." The score would have then been 6-1 in the 1st instead of 2-2. Funny how a moment in the game could actually be a fork in the road.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am

Despite the score I think the Canucks played maybe the best game that they've played for quite some time. As AV would say the process was there, so to was the effort. But where as before we were getting results that we probably didn't deserve now we're loosing when maybe we shouldn't have. But if the process and the effort was there better things will happen and to me it's a good starting point for a turn around.
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby SKYO » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am

Hockey Widow wrote:More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.

lol, yes you correct.

wafflecombine wrote:oh yeah.... and if it hasn't been suggested already... never play the Mason Raymond drinking game. Take a shot every time he falls = passed out before the first intermission. :crazy:

hahaha

I just think some AHL callups could do wonders here, the core players are just locked in cruise control for the time being, so calling up some hungry players who will do whatever it is that's asked of them by the coach, could revitalize the vet's on this team.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3453
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am

Fred wrote:Despite the score I think the Canucks played maybe the best game that they've played for quite some time. As AV would say the process was there, so to was the effort. But where as before we were getting results that we probably didn't deserve now we're loosing when maybe we shouldn't have. But if the process and the effort was there better things will happen and to me it's a good starting point for a turn around.



Agreed. I just read Vancouver had 79 shot attempts to 46 for Phoenix and 28 offensive zone faceoffs to Phoenix's 8. The process to win was there and this was a much improved effort. Figure out some defence (put the D pairs back) and they'll be fine.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:This could be the beginning of the end of AV as we know it btw.


More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.


Do you actually think this is the beginning of the end. As slumps go, though this one is poorly timed, its not that uncommon. Ask the Bruin how well they are doing?

As we all know, much will hinge on play-off performance. An early exit and who knows where the puck will stop.
Cheers
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

wafflecombine wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:This could be the beginning of the end of AV as we know it btw.


More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.


Do you actually think this is the beginning of the end. As slumps go, though this one is poorly timed, its not that uncommon. Ask the Bruin how well they are doing?

As we all know, much will hinge on play-off performance. An early exit and who knows where the puck will stop.
Cheers



No no no no. What I mean is I think AV has run out of patience. So the beginning if the end of his putting up with this play.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3927
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby donlever » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
No no no no.


(I'll finish this off for you how you meant to post it.)

.....no Strangelove I'm going out with donny Friday.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Arachnid » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
No no no no.


(I'll finish this off for you how you meant to post it.)

.....no Strangelove I'm going out with donny Friday.


She clearly said 20 years younger mister goldie oldie which would put me in that cat(egory)...you and the strangledove can go out together... 8-)
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Arachnid » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

wafflecombine wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:This could be the beginning of the end of AV as we know it btw.


More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.


Do you actually think this is the beginning of the end. As slumps go, though this one is poorly timed, its not that uncommon. Ask the Bruin how well they are doing?

As we all know, much will hinge on play-off performance. An early exit and who knows where the puck will stop.
Cheers


...or Detroit...their sky is falling too... 8-)
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

Agreed Arachnid,

One point I will touch on in relation to Boston and Detroit's slump is enhanced by the fact they have some key injuries. That's where I feel we have an advantage. With the exception of Ballard, Volpatti, Pinizzoto and Ebbett we are healthy. That and of our injuries, only Ballard saw consistent ice time (even only as 5-6 D) before being hurt.

Despite my grumpiness watching the game, there were some positive signs.

@HW - no worries. Clarity is golden. Although, at some point many coachs end up getting turfed when their players get mommy-deaf (as my buddy calls it). I wonder where AV is on that continium... he's had his work cut out for him motivating this group the last little while.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby herb » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm

In all my years of watching hockey, every team goes through one or two slumps a year. And every year, fans and media lose their minds while these slumps are occurring.

Slumps usually occur after a prolonged period of success. You know a team is about to head into a slump when they win three or so games in a row that they probably shouldn't have. When a team is in a slump, boy, watch out! They can't do anything right. Can't score, can't defend, can't make a save, and most of all can't win. You know a slump is coming to an end when your team is playing well enough to win against teams they should be beating (see Phoenix & Montreal), but still losing.

This is one of the ebb and flows of a long season. I suspect the Canucks are coming out of this slump and will be back on track soon.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Postby Cornuck » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:40 pm

herb wrote:This is one of the ebb and flows of a long season. I suspect the Canucks are coming out of this slump and will be back on track soon.


Thank god! For a moment there, I thought the team was destined to tank in the first round! ;)
Over 40 years of pain - I just want one day of glory.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4852
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Chester, NE

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest