OK, So What I have been told

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

OK, So What I have been told

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hodgson:

The Canucks liked him but felt he could not develop into the type of player they needed going forward. Felt they were lucky to have a player of his skill and potential and be in a position where they could part with him without subtracting from the core. The problems were indeed his father. Although his father did not ask for a trade he often complained about the lack of ice time and was pushing Cody to ask as well. His father pushed the Canucks to the point where no one on the team wanted to take his calls and he did strongly suggest that if the Canucks were not going to utilize him properly then they should trade him. So dad did not demand a trade but strongly pushed for one. All of his lobbying was aimed at the off season and the Hodgson camp was a little taken back that it happened now. The Canucks don't want to come out and say he demanded a trade because he didn't exactly do that but they are a little miffed that the Hodgson camp is not being more forthcoming. The other complaints were along the lines of not getting enough PP time, not getting a shot on the PK (he was a good PK in junior) not having the right wingers for him to properly utilize his skill and of course not enough ice time. Dad was worried that Cody would not be able to develop to the point that his next contract would be severely undermined. So the Canucks were not in a hurry to trade him and did try, in their opinion, everything they could to see how he could better fit now. Bottom line was that the Hodgson camp was not prepared to do their time and this is money driven. So the Canucks parted with Cody because they could and in doing so got rid of a big headache called dad.

Luongo:

Interesting stuff. He is going through some serious relationship shit, on again off again kinda stuff, right now it is on again which may explain his poor play ( :D :D :D ) Although the Canucks will publicly deny this, if a trade could have been made deadline day he may have been gone. Their preference at this point is to keep Cory and try to help Luongo get back to the East. Discussions were held with at least two teams, don't know which two and it could be that the foundation is being laid for an off season deal. The Canucks absolutely love Cory, everything about him and do not want to trade him.

Deadline Day:

The Canucks had a list of players, 100-150, that they said OK these are the only guys and teams we will focus on. If the call is not about one of these guys then we won't entertain it. With respect to Hodgson that deal was very last minute as they had 3 or 4 teams interested for a variety of players. They waited as late as they could before pulling the trigger and in the end decided that Kassian was the main piece for them. They did have other offers they were entertaining but it all did come down to the act that Kassian was the one they coveted.

They tried every which way they could to trade Raymond. Because he is RFA bottom feeders were not interested and contender did not bite. They simply could not unload him.

They did not make an offer for Ott. He does not fit their mould moving forward and the asking price was way too high. They also knew that with their new ownership Dallas was not about to trade with Canucks or if they did they would want more than an arm and a leg. So they didn't get into that scenario. They like Ott but they don't like his age and were not about to give up a high draft pick and a promising prospect to try and land him. Their philosophy that day was to not be distracted so they left it alone.

Pahlsson was one of four centres they had on their list. He was the first one and they got him.

Given the unknown status of Ballard they did not want to spend more money bringing in another D man. They hope Ballard will be ready for the playoffs. The price to acquire another steady D man was too high for them to pay. When teams are trading with you they know your weaknesses and like last year they found that some players were traded for pieces they would have given but they were never given the chance to do that. The price for them, as it was for a few other contenders, was much higher. Supply and demand and need vs NEED.

On the team play:

They are finding is very f'ing hard to play right now. It is all mental. They know it is a problem but they just don't have the motivation right now. The playoffs can't start soon enough for them. They don't care about individual stats, seeding, President's Trophy. They just want to be in the playoffs. They have all increased their work out routines and are resting as much as possible away from the rink. They are in what they call playoff prep mode. The mental part will come and they know they have to start playing a more consistent game. I think we will see a few more sleepers yet but expect by the last few games they will turn it up a notch. Too bad for me, I have tickets for an up coming game :D

On Next year:

I think unless Raymond turns his game around he may be done here. I think they will try to trade Luongo and not Cory. I think Ballard may be done and they will try to add another top 4 D man, either through trade or FA.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: OK, So What I have been told

Post by Cornuck »

Great post - thanks.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Wow - really trade Luongo - HW if you were close to me I could hug and kiss you :blush: But as I am not a crazy stalker I will just give you thumbs up :thumbs:

I figured Ballard would be gone in the off season, wonder what they will take for Raymond? To me both deals would be for draft picks/prospects just to get the deal done. For both players a new team is needed.

PS - just had to add 1 thing, to any potential hockey player out there "keep your parents away from the phone" damn CH has to grow up fast and cut that cord before it ruins him.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

great post HW

I feel sorry for Hodgen he should tell his Dad to take a hike .If his old man is interfering now imagine what it was like in minor hockey.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Thanks for the info HW! I have to admit, i was wondering. Maybe the reg season is just too long? Useless to ask questions about it though cause it'll never change (re: money). So maybe, the Canucks are playing this all perfectly? Reserving and prepping for the playoffs - it makes sense. I wonder how that works for sure? 'Ok guys, only a 3/4 effort tonight ok?' 'No fuckin injuries, and no over-exertion... got it?'

As for Luongo vs Schneider? Hal-a-fuck-in-lew-ya!! (no pun intended Lou) I think many of us would love to see the Canucks committ to Schneider for the future. Well son-of-a-gun... I definitely get a sense that this hockey freak is feeling lighter. Seems so weird to be in a position like this, where for so many years in the past we spent the waning days of the regular season just worrying about making to the 'dance'. Now we're strategiz.ing about a deep playoff run.
cc oldtimer
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hey Luo... you like American civil war history?

"Yeah, it's ok"

It was pretty bloody.

"I guess"

You know what a main weapon of the civil war was?

"What?"

The cannon.

"Fuck you, I'm not going to Columbus"

Alrighty then.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Well I've got a new ideal scenario.

Win the cup right now with Luo, get him and us a ring then ship him off in the summer to be closer to family.

Pick up parts and pieces to build a consistent contender for years to come!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, I don't think this is a deliberate attempt by the Canucks, in any planned sense, to conserve energy for the playoffs. I think it is more a mental thing where they are struggling to get their A game. In that sense it is a concern because we know how hard it is to turn it on and off. So I think since they recognize the problem they are developing different strategies to deal with it, such as increased work outs and more planned rest. I doubt there is any talk about taking it easy, just the opposite. It is just hard for them to get into the rest of the season. Maybe if they were fighting for the division it would be different.

As for trading Luongo we all know he has a NTC so I think the plan is to trade him back to the East to a team he wants to go to. I have heard of course the Florida teams but also Toronto is interested. A lot will depend upon his play. If he shits the bed, whether we win the cup or not, he will be hard to trade. But if he plays well, whether we win or not, he will be easier to move. He likes Vancouver but would, I believe, waive for the right opportunity. Now I am not saying this will be the outcome. We may end up having to keep Luongo and parting with Cory. Just saying the Canucks are forward thinking on this one.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the in sight HW. I understand you can't reveal your source but is it a reliable inside source or a journalist >
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fred wrote:Thanks for the in sight HW. I understand you can't reveal your source but is it a reliable inside source or a journalist >

Well, Fred, as those that know me, my sources are fairly reliable. But as I have always maintained, everything I post is gossip, rumour and innuendo unless confirmed by the Canucks.

Sometimes the info I get is shit and sometimes it is bang on. As to this source, he has been fairly reliable in the past and is tight with a lot of the players. So the personal stuff I get is usually very reliable. The inside team stuff was much more reliable under past ownership and management and good intel is harder to get with MG at the helm. :D

No, it is not a journalist.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

That's interesting about Luongo, you're actually the second person I've heard about the relationship thing from. The first person was a third-hand source so I didn't put stock in it, but now I consider that person to be independently verified by HW.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Luongo, unless he's the one that wants to move. Regardless of your opinion on his play, Luongo + Schneider is far better than Schneider + Lack, and somewhat better than Luongo + Lack. Also, the contract is a bargain. The savings between Luongo and Schneider's next contract will not be significant.

To play armchair psychologist a little bit, I think Luongo would be a better player if the off-again becomes permanent. Danny Briere is a classic example of a player producing more when the divorce has come and gone. Even in the HBO coverage I couldn't help but think, man Briere's home life with shared custody is so much simpler than the rest of those poor bastards! Of course, Luongo's problem is the ex would try to keep the kids in Florida. I'd much prefer Luongo stays a Canuck until the relationship/personal problems are behind him, and we get another decade of elite goaltending.

In spite of my love for Luongo, I will admit that Corey has been set up perfectly for this day - working up to the big-game experience, playing behind a star goalie instead of a veteran scrub, getting the opportunity to run with the ball earlier in the year. I have some reluctance about seeing Schneider become a full-time starting goalie, but this year has allayed them somewhat.

Also, this might explain Burke's lack of movement on the Goalie front this trade deadline...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Who bought lunch?! 8-)

Tanx HotWoman
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Thanks HW!

Helicopter parents totally get my goat, and yeah, the easiest way to deal with them is just to not. I wonder how much flack Hodgson got from his teammates over his.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Hockey Widow wrote: As for trading Luongo we all know he has a NTC so I think the plan is to trade him back to the East to a team he wants to go to. I have heard of course the Florida teams but also Toronto is interested. A lot will depend upon his play. If he shits the bed, whether we win the cup or not, he will be hard to trade. But if he plays well, whether we win or not, he will be easier to move. He likes Vancouver but would, I believe, waive for the right opportunity. Now I am not saying this will be the outcome. We may end up having to keep Luongo and parting with Cory. Just saying the Canucks are forward thinking on this one.
If your sources are right (and I'm hoping they are).the Gillis will find a way to keep Schneider,even if it means keeping lou on the payroll for another season or 2.It will be interesting to see when Schneider gets passed the torch and starts playing the big games.I could see it happenning in the playoffs this year if Luongo soils himself.
As for the slump,reg. season is definately too long,especially if you went to the final in June.It wouldn't bother me too much if they coasted the rest of the way.But it's all about getting hot at the right time,so they better be able to find that switch when the time comes.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Thanks for the post HW.
Wow, that really explains a lot. A meddling Dad, a high maintenance wife.
"These Are The Days Of Our Lives" scenario.
Subtle B.S. like that can drain those directly and indirectly with job performance.
Im happy to read management is wise enough, apparantly, to nip
those problem areas in the bud.