Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby wienerdog » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:54 pm

okcanuck wrote:
Fred wrote:FRom Canuck Army, I came acros this after my own post

CHEERS to Vancouver broadcaster Dave Pratt for returning to the airwaves in short order. News broke last night that Pratt will join CKNW, likely starting Monday, joining the morning team as sports host to start. The speculation is that Pratt will host an afternoon drive-time sports talk show once Neil Macrae leaves CKNW. Macrae has already indicated that he plans to retire once his contract expires. Now, I gave Pratt a TON a grief during his last few months at Team1040, because he diverted so badly from sports on a daily basis that the show became unbearable. Fast forward to today and witness the complete debacle that we now hear with BMac and Taylor. The old-fart nostalgic gigglefest makes for terrible radio but their ratings remains high because they have NO competition. Well, well, well. How many of YOU folks will listen to Dave Pratt over the unbearable and incessant impressions of Paul Morris? Count me in. Knowing what I know now, when Pratt goes on his tangential ramblings on the Mayor and bike lanes and Phoenix and Bettman, I'll take that HANDS DOWN over two old men giggling about bullshit nonsense for 4 hours.

Being from the Okanagan I dont get to listen to much of the Vancouver sports media broadcasts. I did however listen to Bill Goodes interview this morning with Pratt.
What I found interesting was the first caller bringing up Pratts plagiarism controversy of a few years ago. The caller obviously lied to the producer about what subject he was going to bring up and Goode called him on it saying all the caller had to do was tell the truth and he still would of got on the air.

I say The plagiarism topic is old news .Leave it alone already. Pratt should bring some welcome competition to Team 1040 and as time goes on maybe finally replace Dan Russell .

The Plagiarism Issue is to David Pratt what the Moore Incident is to Todd Bertuzzi. It won't go away. And nor should it.

Like it or not, it's a defining moment in a career. You can't cross that line in the profession that Pratt is in and not expect it to dog you for the rest of your days. It's a cardinal rule (with the public, at least, maybe not behind closed doors of journalists - another story) that has permanent repurcussions if violated. Period.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
With that said, I actually prefer that they f*ck around for 90% of the show instead of attempting to talk intelligently about hockey, which for me is simply not palatable.

Take the show for what it is: a couple of sports dudes more-or-less shootin' the shit. If you listen to the show looking for intelligent, thought provoking, and factually correct hockey talk you are looking in the wrong place.

If they were mildly amusing it would ok, but they aren't.

I am not looking for serious, intelligent conversation from anyone in this town that makes his living on the airwaves talking sports.

If you fashion yourself as a comedian, at least be funny. I do like TDM on their show however.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby okcanuck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Being from the Okanagan I dont get to listen to much of the Vancouver sports media broadcasts. I did however listen to Bill Goodes interview this morning with Pratt.
What I found interesting was the first caller bringing up Pratts plagiarism controversy of a few years ago. The caller obviously lied to the producer about what subject he was going to bring up and Goode called him on it saying all the caller had to do was tell the truth and he still would of got on the air.

I say The plagiarism topic is old news .Leave it alone already. Pratt should bring some welcome competition to Team 1040 and as time goes on maybe finally replace Dan Russell .[/quote]

The Plagiarism Issue is to David Pratt what the Moore Incident is to Todd Bertuzzi. It won't go away. And nor should it.

Like it or not, it's a defining moment in a career. You can't cross that line in the profession that Pratt is in and not expect it to dog you for the rest of your days. It's a cardinal rule (with the public, at least, maybe not behind closed doors of journalists - another story) that has permanent repurcussions if violated. Period.[/quote

i,ve never read the said article so I cant really comment on it ,but I do know whoever that first caller was this morning is a complete hypocrite having lied to the producer.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm

This sums up B-Mac and Co

The old-fart nostalgic gigglefest makes for terrible radio but their ratings remains high because they have NO competition.

They were at it again today, I mean they giggle like 5 year olds. Who in the Hell is their boss ?
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Am I the only hardcore Nuckie who has NEVER listened to ANY of these Canucks radiomen?

Well except Neil McRae but not on purpose (he's pretty funny eh Blob?).
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Strangelove wrote:Am I the only hardcore Nuckie who has NEVER listened to ANY of these Canucks radiomen?

Neil was ok back in the day. At least he had a bit of an edge and was accasionally funny. Sure he was bombastic and outrageous ( part of the shtick for sure) but he seems to be mailing it in these days.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Am I the only hardcore Nuckie who has NEVER listened to ANY of these Canucks radiomen?

Neil was ok back in the day. At least he had a bit of an edge and was accasionally funny. Sure he was bombastic and outrageous ( part of the shtick for sure) but he seems to be mailing it in these days.

I met Neil a few years back. One of the dads on my kid's team treated us to a luxury box. Neil is (was?) as funny as hell IRL. I met him in the hallway and we were having a bit of a chat when the kids all came streaming by. My son: "Dad who is that?" Me: "Son, this is Neil McRae!". OOPS. Seventeen 11-year-olds started tearing into him for alleged anti-Canuck radio rants. Who knew. The bemused look on Neil's face was priceless. He was surprised and delighted with the notoriety he had seemingly acheived. He exchanged a few quips with the boys...

Yeah, he seems kinda burnt-out these days. Years of party-hardying will do that... I hear. :look:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 pm

He's a heavy duty boozer and he also puffs a lot of weed. I met him at a golf tourney a few years ago - he was the emcee, very funny and very hamboned at the end of it .

A buddy of mine did his windows a few years back and Neil and huffed a few dubes with buddy and his helper and had a few drinks with them. He got a pretty good tip too. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah, he had definitely had a few at the game.

I always got a kick outta his shtick.

But then I like Don Cherry.

And Bikerdude. ;)
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Strangelove wrote:
And Bikerdude. ;)

Bikerdude is no longer, somebody jacked my bike. I just booze now.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:40 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
And Bikerdude. ;)

Who stole your wheels ?
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
And Bikerdude. ;)

Who stole your wheels ?

Loopy, and she's been sniffing the seat ever since! :mrgreen:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby CFP! » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I used to tune into Neil McRae and then Dan Russel in the early ninties post game around nine-ish pm when I was in high school. Both pessimists.

Guys always got me amped up for bed! :mrgreen:
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby DavidPratt_ » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Mondi wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Radio+David+Pratt+dialing+back+with+CKNW/6273987/story.html

The return of Big Daddy.

BIG DADDY ;)

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 pm

I can't thank the HNIC crew enough. I dislike their broadcast so much I never watch the Saturday HNIC night show any more and tonight it paid great dividends..... :D
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat