I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't know what it is with the term 'Shut Down', I hear it all the time now and I gotta tell ya, when I hear it, birds start to tweet, the sun begins to shine, double rainbows everywhere, I get butterflies, filled with joy. Jason Botchford this morning too was all excited about Shut Down and how the Canucks now have 3 Shut Down lines, yes you heard 3 Shut Down lines, with the shitcanning of Hodgson and replaced by the everso exciting skillset of Sami Pahlsson, the Canucks will now be able to Shut Down their opponents like we've never seen before. Fuck Skill, who needs skill? The Canucks don't. Shut Down is where it's at. If you ain't got Shut Down rolling through your veins then you is old hat, boy. This is Shut Down Hockey in Vancouver, gotta love it. Fuck Skill, Fuck CoHo, we got Shut Down Hockey, muthas. Who needs more playmaking when you have Hank making slick moves down the middle for his linemates, fuck that. Hank will do all the settin' up all by himself cause he can, cause he is Hank Sedin. Who the hell needs CoHo. First Hank, then Shut down, shut down, shut down and more shut down hockey.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby mathonwy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Image
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby tantalum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:33 pm

And Shutdown scores the winner!

I can understand the concern. What with the pointless centerman in Buffalo and the healthy scratch on the Island the canucks offense is taking a mighty hit the last year or two.
Last edited by tantalum on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby okcanuck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

If shut-down means getting 45 shots and the game winner from a defensive specialist then I'm all for it.
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:50 pm

I love RD. :oops: :oops: :oops:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 pm

okcanuck wrote:If shut-down means getting 45 shots and the game winner from a defensive specialist then I'm all for it.



Well, if we didn't have a team littered with Shut Down Specialists then maybe some of those 45 shots are bulging the twine.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 pm

tantalum wrote:And Shutdown scores the winner!

I can understand the concern. What with the pointless centerman in Buffalo and the healthy scratch on the Island the canucks offense is taking a mighty hit the last year or two.


Florida still wins that trade, they got a great promising rookie named Quinton Howden, while the rest of the bums of that trade are pure bums, Grabner and Balltard that is. Stone Hands Bernier? Who cares. To be honest though, I'd almost rather have Bernier than Grabner and Balltard combined. Oh, wasn't Oresko involved in this goofy trade?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Jovocop » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
tantalum wrote:And Shutdown scores the winner!

I can understand the concern. What with the pointless centerman in Buffalo and the healthy scratch on the Island the canucks offense is taking a mighty hit the last year or two.


Florida still wins that trade, they got a great promising rookie named Quinton Howden, while the rest of the bums of that trade are pure bums, Grabner and Balltard that is. Stone Hands Bernier? Who cares. To be honest though, I'd almost rather have Bernier than Grabner and Balltard combined. Oh, wasn't Oresko involved in this goofy trade?


I assume that if the Panthers won all the trades with the Canucks, they should be ahead of the Canucks in the standings. Hmm, the Canucks are second in the standings whereas the Panthers are 15th with a difference of 18 points...
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

*LOL* Great post.


RoyalDude wrote:Fuck Skill, Fuck CoHo, we got Shut Down Hockey, muthas. Who needs more playmaking when you have Hank making slick moves down the middle for his linemates, fuck that. Hank will do all the settin' up all by himself cause he can, cause he is Hank Sedin. Who the hell needs CoHo. First Hank, then Shut down, shut down, shut down and more shut down hockey.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1070
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby dhabums » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 am

RoyalDude wrote:
okcanuck wrote:If shut-down means getting 45 shots and the game winner from a defensive specialist then I'm all for it.



Well, if we didn't have a team littered with Shut Down Specialists then maybe some of those 45 shots are bulging the twine.


We lost 2-0.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Arachnid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:19 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I love RD. :oops: :oops: :oops:


I love HW :oops: :oops: :oops:
4 out of 5 Psychologists agree that a man without a woman is a psycho
User avatar
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 4620
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Mr.Miyagi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:11 am

I love this thread. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The thought had crossed everyone's mind about how our offence would be affected after losing Coho and only time will really tell. The last few games have been an anomaly by our standards and are just a small sample size of a much larger picture. Who knows? Maybe we are offensively doomed now and have nothing to look forwad to in the future. Maybe Gillis is an idiot?

The fact is, we will be most likely winning or losing playoff games by one or two goals so having "shut-down" players that can score a few here and there will be more valuable in a seven game series than offensive players who are unhappy with their role and ice time.

I actually thought the invisible Kassian from the last two games would be the catalyst for a new thread regarding Coho but I guess this one opened the door.

Loved the OP by the way.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
User avatar
Mr.Miyagi
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby okcanuck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54 am

RoyalDude wrote:
okcanuck wrote:If shut-down means getting 45 shots and the game winner from a defensive specialist then I'm all for it.



Well, if we didn't have a team littered with Shut Down Specialists then maybe some of those 45 shots are bulging the twine.


The shut-down crew were 3 crossbars away from a rout in the 1st period
User avatar
okcanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am
Location: Bestwank,BC

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby Zamboni Driver » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:54 am

Mr.Miyagi wrote:The fact is, we will be most likely winning or losing playoff games by one or two goals so having "shut-down" players that can score a few here and there will be more valuable in a seven game series than offensive players who are unhappy with their role and ice time.


Also a consideration, we seem to be moving back into the "dead puck" era, so if you do score a goal or two it's important to keep 'em out of your net.
User avatar
Zamboni Driver
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: I Get so Giddy from the word 'Shut Down'

Postby dbr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:13 am

RoyalDude wrote:while the rest of the bums of that trade are pure bums, Grabner and Balltard that is.


Surely you don't mean "Gatling Gun" Grabner? My stars! :wow:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], herb and 3 guests