GDT - Canucks vs Stars 7PM PST SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Stars 7PM PST SNet

Post by 2Fingers »

herb wrote: I'm bored of the regular season and I expect the players are too.

same here, I barely watch a full game anymore. I will have it on in the background but man there is only so much time one can commit over 81 games/several months just to find out if you finish 1, 2 or 3 in your conference.

Would like to see some stability from the team (consistant play).
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Reefer2 wrote: Would like to see some stability from the team (consistant play).

You mean like finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the Conference every year?

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: Speaking of Ballard, is he going to be back this year? The reports when it was announced that he was being put on LTIR were mixed...some said out until the playoffs and other said out until after the trade deadline.
Well yesterday the AHL Clear Day Rosters were put out and Tanev's name was NOT on the Wolves list... meaning Tanev must remain with Canucks for the rest of this season & playoffs... meaning there is not a roster spot available for Ballard (until the playoffs when there is no roster limit).

So no Ballard until the playoffs UNLESS another Canuck goes on the LTIR.

Now as far as cap-space goes, if we had've had a roster spot he could've returned in ~10 days (could be wrong)

But then there's his concussion problem. I heard a report this morning that he's saying he's feeling better. That's great but I believe the NHL concussion protocol is that he must be symptom-free for a week before even returning to practice.

So highly unlikely we see Ballard before the playoffs.

I keep looking at our dee thinking WTF Gillis, best shot a Cup in Canuck history and you didn't manage to pick up that beast defenseman we so desperately needed! I hope a miracle occurs and our Top 4 stay healthy but I wouldn't bet on it the way Gillis seems to have done.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
herb wrote: Speaking of Ballard, is he going to be back this year? The reports when it was announced that he was being put on LTIR were mixed...some said out until the playoffs and other said out until after the trade deadline.
Well yesterday the AHL Clear Day Rosters were put out and Tanev's name was NOT on the Wolves list... meaning Tanev must remain with Canucks for the rest of this season & playoffs... meaning there is not a roster spot available for Ballard (until the playoffs when there is no roster limit).

So no Ballard until the playoffs UNLESS another Canuck goes on the LTIR.

Now as far as cap-space goes, if we had've had a roster spot he could've returned in ~10 days (could be wrong)

But then there's his concussion problem. I heard a report this morning that he's saying he's feeling better. That's great but I believe the NHL concussion protocol is that he must be symptom-free for a week before even returning to practice.

So highly unlikely we see Ballard before the playoffs.

I keep looking at our dee thinking WTF Gillis, best shot a Cup in Canuck history and you didn't manage to pick up that beast defenseman we so desperately needed! I hope a miracle occurs and our Top 4 stay healthy but I wouldn't bet on it the way Gillis seems to have done.
Are you saying YOUR Vancouver Canucks are pre verbally done after this year? :shock:

Schneids could get us a wee beastD and a Grade A offensive prospect all in one shot this Summer and we can still be an Elite™ team for a few more years...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ummm best shot at a Cup in YOUR Vancouver Canuck 42 year history.

Now as for Nuck chances next year.... checks mayan calendar... :shock:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote:I keep looking at our dee thinking WTF Gillis, best shot a Cup in Canuck history and you didn't manage to pick up that beast defenseman we so desperately needed! I hope a miracle occurs and our Top 4 stay healthy but I wouldn't bet on it the way Gillis seems to have done.
I have basically been wrong about everything to do with our third pairing and Keith Ballard since last season, so my track record on the subject is less than steller. Since I'm bored, here are my two cents on the subject anyway.

Andrew Alberts has basically been unplayable in the playoffs in the past. To be honest, I'm not even sure why he's still here. I guess he provides "size" and "physicality", but what I see mostly is a pylon who takes bad penalties. He can grow a nice playoff beard though.

Aaron Rome has been a decent depth defenseman and has had many nice games and nice outings. Maybe I pick on this player too much, but Rome seems to make an error on 50% of his shifts. I know AV disagrees, but this is not a player I have much confidence in. AV likes him because he's "tough" and "gritty", which is true to a certain extent. I really want to like Rome, and believe me I've tried, but I still cannot forgive him for his shortcomings. It's almost like he's trying too hard sometimes or trying to do too much. Every game I'm like "Rome, you're not good, stop trying to rush the puck up the ice." or "Rome, why are you behind the other team's goal line?"

Chris Tanev has been one of the nicest surprises in years. This kid deserves to be playing in the NHL, and should be on the Game 1 roster. That being said, he's still a rookie and has blemishes. Tanev provides zero offense and zero physicality, which are things we expect to see from our defense. He plays the right side, which basically guarantees him a spot this post season. IMO Tanev is where Gillis is taking a gamble. I think we can survive with a Rome/Tanev third pairing, but God help us if Salo goes down because Rome/Alberts and Rome/Gragnani and fucking terrible pairings.

Gragnani is another rookie who has blemishes, except he has zero physicality, and it appears, very little defensive acumen. I have to think this player is viewed as a work in progres and will not be relied upon when the games get serious. From what I have seen, every one of our depth defensemen is more trustworthy than this player.

Which brings me to Ballard. Ballard was very effective in Phoenix. I don't know what happened, but he had a bad year last year. He has not provided good value relative to his salary. That being said, I am of the opinion that AV and Bowness havent utilized this player effectively. For example, why is a player with a pretty solid offensive pedigree given zero powerplay time over offensive duds like Alberts, Rome and Tanev? Why was a healthy Ballard not playing in the SC Finals when guys like Edler and Ehrhoff were seriously banged up? These are things I'll never know, but I thought this player was having a decent bounce back season and has looked a lot better this year than last.

Personally, I would trust Ballard a heck of a lot more than Alberts, Rome and Gragnani. I would be reasonalby happy with a third pairing of a healthy Ballard/Tanev going into Round 1.

I have been assuming that Ballard is going to be back soon (maybe a little *wink wink* take some more time to get healthy Keith so we can add some salary at the deadline?) since GMMG made zero effort to upgrade our defensive depth at the deadline, but what I'm hearing is that this may not be true. If Ballard is not going to be healthy, then Jeez Louise Gillis is gambling.

Then again, the coaches don't play Ballard when he is healthy and playing well, so what the hell do I know?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Herbert, one need not be a rocket surgeon to see that the coaching staff doesn't like Ballard much. And one can only speculate as to why. Hey we all do it. Me, I heard he came in with a great deal of arrogance... and I'm guessing he pushed for one of Edler/Hamhuis to be moved to the RS to make room for him. I'm guessing the coaching staff felt Ballard was pouting when asked to play on the RS last season. I also feel he rebels somewhat against the coaching staff's 'system'.

But wotever the reason(s), AV/Bowness don't wanna give him a helluva lotta icetime.

Having said that, I think they're more comfortable with him this year than last.

Having said that :D , I think they're only truly comfortable with him as 3rd pairing LS.

Having said all that, who knows how long this concussion (it's real) is gonna keep him out.

So counting on Ballard even being healthy is a gamble (let alone the coaches ever trusting him more).

As you say, counting on rookies Tanev & Grags in the playoffs is a gamble.

Is counting on Alberts a gamble?

Indubitably.

Rome?

As anything more than 3rd pairing depth yes.

BTW I think they like Rome because of his attitude and keep-it-simple stay-within-the-system ways (rather than just his physical element). I think folks would appreciate Rome more if he were allowed to play solely on his natural LS. Of all our natural LS dee (Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Alberts, Grags, and Rome) Rome is the best one at switching to RS without his game slipping too too much.

Having said all this about the Canucks group of dee heading into the playoffs do we truly have anything to worry about?

HELL YES!!! :shock:

We're going in with only 4 dee who are proven Top 4 worthy as far as you & I & AV & Bowness can agree!

Hell a potential 3rd pairing of any 2 of Tanev/Alberts/Grags/Rome is risKAY!

GILLIS HAS A MAJOR GAMBLING PROBLEM!!!

Agreed about AA's playoff beard. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:The fourth line with Raymond was completely useless.
Would this be sort of like blaming the Carpenters Helper for a construction job gone sideways? Absolving the General Contractor/Site Super/Project Mgr/Lead Carpenter of all responsibility even though they are paid and are expected to make sure a job comes in on Time and Budget and is built to code with the upmost professionalism?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Dude are you saying that Raymond can only be a "carpenters helper" even on the fourth line - that he has no agency over his line's success or failure?

IMO you underestimate this player.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...to the upmost of his being apparently.

:look:
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:Dude are you saying that Raymond can only be a "carpenters helper" even on the fourth line?

IMO you underestimate this player.
Well, when it comes to pay. His pay, when compared to the pay that some others on his team receive, tell me that he isn't the one most relied upon to bring results. So that is why I used the analogy of why blame the lowly carpenters helper for a job gone sideways?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Gragnani/Rome/Tanev = carpenters helpers

Raymond = 3rd year apprentice

Time to start helping out with the framing methinks.
DeLevering since 1999.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Did you know Jesus was a carpenter and I think he did a good job?

He had 12 helpers and look where we are 2,012 years later, so maybe we need to give them (Canucks) more time to figure it out.

Totally irrelevant to the conversation but it was either a Jesus reference or the band called Carpenters and since this thread has gone many different ways I thought I would add to the mix. :P
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Reefer2 wrote:Did you know Jesus was a carpenter and I think he did a good job?

He had 12 helpers and look where we are 2,012 years later, so maybe we need to give them (Canucks) more time to figure it out.

Totally irrelevant to the conversation but it was either a Jesus reference or the band called Carpenters and since this thread has gone many different ways I thought I would add to the mix. :P
Is Judas in net? :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Reefer2 wrote:Did you know Jesus was a carpenter and I think he did a good job?
Wow.. we could go a serious tangent with this one.