Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by dbr »

damonberryman wrote:Does anyone have the real story on this because trying to read through the Vancouver Media does me little in the way of good?
No. Connect the dots all you like - there are plenty of "no comments" where "no" would have been acceptable, Winter has since gone in and cleaned up his twitter feed after letting the only really juicy tidbit slip (or perhaps that was a hacker, as Winter suggests :roll: ) - but it's evident that whatever happened nobody wants to talk about it now.

Maybe it comes out in a few years but right now all we know is that everybody has clammed up. Probably best for both sides at this point.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I get the feeling Cody doesn't even really know what happened.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Surprised at the timing more than anything I think..expected summertime change and one more deep run for a cup ..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

rats19 wrote:Surprised at the timing more than anything I think..expected summertime change and one more deep run for a cup ..

...I wouldn't think the team is assuming otherwise ratman.

Clearly the power brokers came to the conclusion a change in dynamics would be necessary moving forward for this year as well as the future.

The club still wholeheartedly believes it has a deep run in store.

I do not believe they attached a whole lot of weight to the fact that Cody was going to be an integral part of that at this point in his career however.
DeLevering since 1999.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Meant from cody/winter standpoint, not the team.
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by donlever »

rats19 wrote:Meant from cody/winter standpoint, not the team.
...yeah, you Albertans never make sense to me anyway.

8-)
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Corb wrote:I get the feeling Cody doesn't even really know what happened.
Cody's recent answers to questions about the trade have become stilted - like he's reading from someone else's script.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Theres the dig....lol. if you think that a deep run with cody on board and perhaps a stellar performance..this would Increase bartering fodder..no?
Thus padding the leather upon he sits.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
rats19 wrote:Meant from cody/winter standpoint, not the team.
...yeah, you Albertans never make sense to me anyway.

8-)
:evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:Theres the dig....lol. if you think that a deep run with cody on board and perhaps a stellar performance..this would Increase bartering fodder..no?
Thus padding the leather upon he sits.
Yeah but what if he choked? If he never gets another point in his ''rookie year'? He was hot (and now he's not) and everyone was taking notice of his great year...the time was ripe Rats...

...and don't take no abuse from the bully Donnie, he's just jealous because you pay no taxes ;)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I agree ripeness was ours.....but greed (winters) sometimes casts a blind eye to logic

Taxes schmaxes..lmfao
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

nyintensity wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Everything I have heard out this kid's mouth impresses me. He sounds like a very respectful kid and a gentle giant off the ice. He comes across as a real humble guy and extremely excited and eager to be on a contender and a Canadian team.
A friend of mine from Michigan saw him in a bar a few weeks/months ago...my friend was wearing a Sabres shirt and Kassian came up to him:
ZK: "hey, you like the Sabres, huh?"
Friend: "yeah, they're my favorite team"
ZK: "do you know who i am?"
Friend: "Of course. You're Zack Kassian. Can I get a picture?"
ZK: "we're in a bar, i'm 20...probably not. but thanks for being a fan"

Just thought I'd add some weight to your presumption. :)
ZK just turned 21, so there goes my theory that he wanted a trade to Canada so he could drink after home games :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

FRankly Kassian is the prized player on one hand but a trend by MG on the other. Gillis has accepted the position that officiating is not only different in the play-offs but is starting to slide in the regular season to boot. GMMG is starting to look for more size. Hodgson is never going to be a threat to work the boards or the corner as good as he is or pull away from a clutch.

Jensen fits the same vision plus he has taken a number of bigger players in the later rounds and FA (Archibald ) in hope he can find maybe one or two more big wingers who can play.

In maybe 2-3 years he'll have re tooled this roster
cheers
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I think what the officials are letting go is certainly a part of it but ultimately, big players that have speed and skill can play ANY type of game.

Anyone read Friedman's 30 thoughts this week? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ughts.html
2. Spent a lot of time over the past six days researching the Cody Hodgson/Zack Kassian deal. (As mentioned in last week's blog, have a "man-crush" on Hodgson's game.) It's tough to know the exact truth, because so many of the particulars didn't want to talk about it. Here's some of what's out there: First, there was some surprise the Canucks did it, as opponents figured they were going to make Hodgson the centrepiece of a "bigger" deal. (You're going to ask what that means. Can't give you any specifics, other than to say it would probably be for whatever Vancouver decided it needed after the season.)

etc etc etc

6. Vancouver "targeted" a few clubs that had the kind of player it wanted in exchange. Obviously, Buffalo was one (and Kassian was very high on the list). I believe the others were Carolina, Washington, Florida and one more I can't nail down. Don't know what the Canucks wanted from the Hurricanes. But, almost certain they asked for Brandon Sutter (can't see it, GM Jim Rutherford loves him) and an educated guess is the wanted Capital was young defenceman John Carlson.
I would imagine the SUtter one would have had something in addition to Hodgson added as like Rutherford, I really like Sutter as a player. Carlson would certainly have been a good target....22 year old, 6' 3" 215lb right handed, right side D-man. If true the Caps rightfully said no to that swap IMO. I thinking the canucks would have been interested in Kulikov from the Panthers.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote: I would imagine the SUtter one would have had something in addition to Hodgson added as like Rutherford, I really like Sutter as a player. Carlson would certainly have been a good target....22 year old, 6' 3" 215lb right handed, right side D-man. If true the Caps rightfully said no to that swap IMO. I thinking the canucks would have been interested in Kulikov from the Panthers.
Carlson would've been a beauty, and I thought Gillis might be targeting the Caps with a Schneider deal (he still may :lol: )

At first I was pissed and confused at the Hodgson trade. I've always liked Kassian. I just didn't see the requirement to take the risk. Scoring goals cost us the Finals last season, more so than size. Hodgson is going to be a beauty. Kassian could very well be the next Lucic or Bertuzzi. I think he has the mean streak to avoid being a Pyatt or Bernier. But young, talented Centres are generally harder to come by than young, mean, big wingers.

We'll have to reserve judgement on this for a few years. If the Canucks win the cup in that time, it will be worth it, if not... it could hurt a lot watching Hodgson develop as a Sabre.