BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by coco_canuck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:42 am

Potatoe1 wrote: And Burke pony's up 5.5 mill for 5 years to Grabovski....

500k more then Kesler and less then Sedins...
Three main reasons why Grabovski got that much:

1. The rising cap inflates the yearly salary.
2. Precedent set with big UFA contracts to marginal 2nd liners last summer
3. The difficulty in replacing young top 6 forwards through UFA and trade.

I don't particularly like the Grabo deal, but GM's are now forced to make these tough calls since finding and fitting in replacements isn't as easy as it once was.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Potatoe1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am

coco_canuck wrote:
Three main reasons why Grabovski got that much:

1. The rising cap inflates the yearly salary.
2. Precedent set with big UFA contracts to marginal 2nd liners last summer
3. The difficulty in replacing young top 6 forwards through UFA and trade.

I don't particularly like the Grabo deal, but GM's are now forced to make these tough calls since finding and fitting in replacements isn't as easy as it once was.
Booth or Grabo ?

Position aside I still take Booth.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Jovocop » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 am

Potatoe1 wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
Three main reasons why Grabovski got that much:

1. The rising cap inflates the yearly salary.
2. Precedent set with big UFA contracts to marginal 2nd liners last summer
3. The difficulty in replacing young top 6 forwards through UFA and trade.

I don't particularly like the Grabo deal, but GM's are now forced to make these tough calls since finding and fitting in replacements isn't as easy as it once was.
Booth or Grabo ?

Position aside I still take Booth.
Also, there is a $1.25m price tag difference.
Last edited by Jovocop on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by coco_canuck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:20 am

Potatoe1 wrote: Booth or Grabo ?

Position aside I still take Booth.
For our purposes certainly. For Toronto, I'd say Grabo since they need to establish their top two C's long-term.

Remember some scoffed at Booth's contract being fair in light of the way the market is going?

$4.25M isn't chump change for a 2nd line winger, which is still about 250K less than the established watermark of $4.5M last summer with deals given to the likes of Fleischmann, Leino and Laich.

The contracts Grabo, Ruttu and Hemsky have signed has taken that up to $5M at least.

Given the consistency of Booth's 20 goal years, compared to Ruttu, Fleisch and Leino, I think it's more than fair to say Booth has both higher upside and is a more proven commodity as a top 6 winger. I don't see a scenario where a player like Booth signs for a penny less than $5M if he was heading towards UFA.

At the time Booth was added, the $4.25M contract was seen as a hefty deal, and it's not cheap, but Gillis balked at paying lesser players similar money in the summer, and being a former agent, his projections likely told him he'd have to spend upwards of $5M per year to sign a player comparable to Booth in free agency this upcoming summer.

The more you look at the Booth deal, the better it looks. Gillis didn't give up any appreciable assets to get him, and he got a player on an affordable contract relative to the market and his other options to add a similar player.

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by tantalum » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 pm

You guys all forget that Booth is a dumb blonde.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Jovocop » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:10 pm

tantalum wrote:You guys all forget that Booth is a dumb blonde.
who has zero hockey IQ...

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Fred » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Apparently BB went ape again today at the conclusion of a CTV interview when asked if he thought he was edging closer to be released :D
cheers

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6765
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Meds » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Jovocop wrote:
tantalum wrote:You guys all forget that Booth is a dumb blonde.
who has zero hockey IQ...
I'd argue that.....well half of the time. Whenever Booth has the puck and a play needs to be made to setup another player, Booth is next to useless. When Booth has the puck and it needs to go to the net, he's useful. When Booth doesn't have the puck and needs to go somewhere to get a look at the net and a receive a pass, he definitely does that.

User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by mathonwy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Jovocop wrote:
tantalum wrote:You guys all forget that Booth is a dumb blonde.
who has zero hockey IQ...
and loves Jesus.

User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by donlever » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

...having never seen the After Hours segment with David Booth I You Tubed it last night (after first watching the Kassian version from Saturday past) and, I have to say, this Jesus loving Christian tripping is a bit over the top. (not specifically you mathonwy, just in general...you simply happened to be the most recent guy to mention it the night after I watched it).

Dude wasn't pushing it on anyone and simply mentioned what he believes a couple of times.

As a matter of fact I thought the interview was very solid, he came across as a decent and charitable guy who just happens to be Christian, believes in God and has faith.

Not a religous fellow myself but no big fukin deal that I can see.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Jovocop » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Meds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
tantalum wrote:You guys all forget that Booth is a dumb blonde.
who has zero hockey IQ...
I'd argue that.....well half of the time. Whenever Booth has the puck and a play needs to be made to setup another player, Booth is next to useless. When Booth has the puck and it needs to go to the net, he's useful. When Booth doesn't have the puck and needs to go somewhere to get a look at the net and a receive a pass, he definitely does that.
You can spend years arguing with RD but trust me, you can never win. :lol:

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2578
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by ESQ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Fred wrote:Apparently BB went ape again today at the conclusion of a CTV interview when asked if he thought he was edging closer to be released :D
Brian Burke wrote:Q: One last question for you, Brian Burke, changing coaches is always an option, but a lot of people on a panel I was hosting this weekend said it was time for the general manager to be changed.

Burke: “Well, I haven’t heard that. And I don’t know what panel you were hosting. That’s up to ownership. I wish you’d told me before you asked me to do this interview that that was going to be your last question, a nice little cheap shot before you get off the air.”

Q: I’m giving you a chance to answer it.

Burke: “Well, that’s up to ownership, when the GM gets changed. But I wish you’d told me that off the air before, you were going to take a little swing on the way out. But I guess that’s what people in your line of work do.”

Q: Well, Brian Burke, I’m not taking a swing. The possibility of a general manager being changed when a team isn’t performing well is always there. So I’m asking you if you feel like you’re close to the door.

Burke: “No, I don’t. And I think it’s an ignorant question, and a gutless one, too.”
If this guy could just grow up and be mature, he'd see what a massive distraction his behaviour is for his team. And that is the biggest problem with Burke - he puts himself, his ego, and his image above what's best for his team.

User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Arachnid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:10 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fred wrote:Apparently BB went ape again today at the conclusion of a CTV interview when asked if he thought he was edging closer to be released :D
Brian Burke wrote:Q: One last question for you, Brian Burke, changing coaches is always an option, but a lot of people on a panel I was hosting this weekend said it was time for the general manager to be changed.

Burke: “Well, I haven’t heard that. And I don’t know what panel you were hosting. That’s up to ownership. I wish you’d told me before you asked me to do this interview that that was going to be your last question, a nice little cheap shot before you get off the air.”

Q: I’m giving you a chance to answer it.

Burke: “Well, that’s up to ownership, when the GM gets changed. But I wish you’d told me that off the air before, you were going to take a little swing on the way out. But I guess that’s what people in your line of work do.”

Q: Well, Brian Burke, I’m not taking a swing. The possibility of a general manager being changed when a team isn’t performing well is always there. So I’m asking you if you feel like you’re close to the door.

Burke: “No, I don’t. And I think it’s an ignorant question, and a gutless one, too.”
If this guy could just grow up and be mature, he'd see what a massive distraction his behaviour is for his team. And that is the biggest problem with Burke - he puts himself, his ego, and his image above what's best for his team.
Like the media is innocent in all this...he doesn't have any patience for idiots and stupidity which basically covers 90% of the broadcast industry. He din't like the buttheads in Van either (he did marry one though 8-) ).
I have a funny feeling this lawyer is gearing up to replace Gary as NHL head...now that would be classic...
he does have a Stanley Cup Ring and Don Cherry or David 'shemale aficionado' Pratt does not...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Fred » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Adding to BB resume he signs Grabovski for $5.5 per season...madness IMO. Just out of interest another forum poster summed this up very well IMO
i'm struggling to think of many more players who will earn as much as Grabovski and be significantly worse.?

Most teams have a handful of players, at most, making that sort of money. The Bruins, for example, have exactly one player - Chara - who will be paid more than Grabovski next year. (Among those being paid less: Bergeron, Krecji, Thomas, Lucic, Savard.) Detroit have two - Zetterberg & Datsyuk. Vancouver only have the Sedins. Pittsburgh only have Malkin & Crosby. The Rangers have Gaborik, Richards & Lundqvist. I could go on...

$5.5M a season puts him in the category of elite NHL players: point-per-game guys, perennial All-Stars. Grabovski is an excellent young player, but with the best will in the world he isn't in that category. I'm sure the Leaves will be happy to keep him around, but at that price you have to wonder if Burke knows something about the CBA that we don't.
cheers

User avatar
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am

Re: BRIAN BURKE'S TORONTO MAPLE Leaves

Post by Corb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:45 pm

^^ until they build a winning team no player (IMO) will take a significant discount to stay there........ Burke has that train almost fully off the track. My favourite recent quote was "hockey isn't supposed to be fun"........... :look:

Post Reply