GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote:...well if Gragnani has to play 18 games or whatever it is to stay RFA that would seem to indicate he is playing and, as you infer, MAG and Chris together makes AV shudder, especially considering the way the league is going with it's back to the dead puck impressions of late, so that would lead one to think Chris is going back to Chicago.

But "the Gillis" said not to that already?

Perhaps Salo gets a half dozen games off.

Yes, Gillis did say Tanev was here to stay but he said that last year too and Tanev was sent back to make sure he was on the Moose playoff roster.

We only get 5 call ups after the trade deadline so I think you keep Tanev if you can. One never knows if one will get into a situation where you need a call up and it would sure suck if we had none left and had to ice a team less a player. So unless we need the cap space to do something like re-activate a player I see no real need to send him down. Of course if MAG is going to get the bulk of the remaining games to keep his RFA status then perhaps you do send Tanev down to make sure he is playing. I think MG made his comments before the trade so things may change.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

donlever wrote:Different era, different time, different game

We all know your love for old time hockey and the importance you put on the role of the tough guy. We're all there with ya...but only as long as said tough guy can play, especially the way the game has evolved. While it was great to know you had a Hordichuk in the line up, the guy was really just a waste of space spending every shift trying to get out of his own zone.

Kassian is much much different story. For one thing he's not a goon, we all know that by now, the kid is a player..and what a bonus to have a guy who's able to step in if the situation calls for it. Lappy answered the bell this year chucking the knuckles, you gotta love that, but you can tell he wasn't all that comfortable knowing HE would have to answer for everything. No coincidence he looked 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier last night. I just hope he doesn't get carried away with his antics, the way it cost us in the Finals, now that he knows he can get away with more. Stick to playing big, tough and mean with your even bigger, tougher, meaner buddy next to you and what a tremendous element we'll have moving forward.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
donlever wrote:Different era, different time, different game

We all know your love for old time hockey and the importance you put on the role of the tough guy.
Nope. My story of Stanley and Coxe was not meant to portray that image.

This is the kind of guy I want.

Not Hordi or Boll et cetera.

I sent you a PM btw.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote: So unless we need the cap space to do something like re-activate a player I see no real need to send him down. Of course if MAG is going to get the bulk of the remaining games to keep his RFA status then perhaps you do send Tanev down to make sure he is playing.
Yeah I was thinking along the lines of the second part where he needs to play.

Didn't mean to be sloppy.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

donlever wrote:...and clearly one other thing which we never did talk about in all the Bieksa debates.

This guy is good, and by good I mean FUCKING GREAT, in the room.

And since Linden I don't remember a more media-friendly character on the team. He clearly ain't afraid of the mic and is a quote machine. A definite character..I don't think AV has the same laughing fit if he doesn't know KB the way he and everybody knows him. Real easy to see what a great team guy he can be, is. That said, we don't talk about his character if he didn't turn his game around the way he has the past couple years..SOB was popular in the room too.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

donlever wrote:...well if Gragnani has to play 18 games or whatever it is to stay RFA that would seem to indicate he is playing and, as you infer, MAG and Chris together makes AV shudder, especially considering the way the league is going with it's back to the dead puck impressions of late, so that would lead one to think Chris is going back to Chicago.

But "the Gillis" said not to that already?

Perhaps Salo gets a half dozen games off.

Yep, if they have to play MAG then send Tanev down and give him another full month on the farm.

Would love to see Salo sit some games as well but you may as well give those games to Alberts (wince) as he will no doubt see some time in the post season and we don't want him sitting for 2 months.

I'm guessing Tanev is be a full time player next season so this might be his last chance at some AHL development.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Potatoe1 wrote: Would love to see Salo sit some games as well...

This quest for 1st and another Presidents' Trophy may be the worst thing for us. I personally don't mind taking 2nd spot if it means a rested and fully charged Salo, Twins and Kes...would love to give all four spot duty rest of the way but that ain't happening.
Ktulu
AHL Prospect

Post by Ktulu »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: This quest for 1st and another Presidents' Trophy may be the worst thing for us. I personally don't mind taking 2nd spot if it means a rested and fully charged Salo, Twins and Kes...would love to give all four spot duty rest of the way but that ain't happening.
I don't know, if winning the Presidents trophy means playing a Dallas, or Colorado, or gasp! Calgary in the first round and possibly avoiding a tight physical series against Nashville in the second is that not worth playing hard the rest of the way?

Then there's the whole flipping the switch thing if you coast through the rest of the season...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I believe Gragnani needs to get into 14 games as a canucks to not be UFA at years end. Could be wrong.

I think the wisest course of action is to rotate Tanev, Salo, Gragnani and Rome in and out of the lineup. Keep everyone fresh and most importantly get Salo rest. He doesn't need to be playing back to backs or 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 etc etc.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

tantalum wrote:I believe Gragnani needs to get into 14 games as a canucks to not be UFA at years end. Could be wrong.

I think the wisest course of action is to rotate Tanev, Salo, Gragnani and Rome in and out of the lineup. Keep everyone fresh and most importantly get Salo rest. He doesn't need to be playing back to backs or 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 etc etc.
Again, it is very likely that Alberts (wince) will be needed in the post season, and thus it would be a very good idea to get him games down the stretch as well.

Best way to do that is to Send Tanev down until MAG gets his games in.
Ktulu
AHL Prospect

Post by Ktulu »

Schedule gets pretty nasty the last two weeks of March, 8 games in 13 days, two back to backs, two 3 in 4 nights. I'm sure Salo will get a night or two off.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

btw...

Kassian and Bieksa on After Hours Saturday

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... ssian.html
DeLevering since 1999.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

KeyserSoze wrote:
donlever wrote: Clearly game 1 on a new team from a guy that has not played much in 5 weeks results in making rash judgements an excercise in folly.
:eh:

So should I or shouldn't I get MARC-ANDRE tatted down one arm and GRAGNANI down the other?
Go with Stanley Cup & Gragians.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If out 4th line can continue to play the way they did against the Blues and if our 3rd line continues to be an effective shut down line against the 1st or 2nd unit from the opposition then the top six by extension will have an easier schedule for the rest of the season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm not worried about the President's trophy. The team will either win it or they won't, and I'm fine with going for it, so long as they have their eyes one the prize and don't sacrifice too much to get the consellation.

As much as everyone remembers who won the Stanley Cup, I think it says more about the quality and talent of a team to finsih as the best group through 82 games playing (mostly) within the rules rather than be the team that comes out on top with 16 wins while playing bush league goon-squad pond hockey (with a quarter of the rules) where the refs are nothing more than traditional token pieces to enforce offside and icing calls (which they get right about 75% of the time). Seriously, if you put together a group of football players that could skate, and decided that the rules didn't apply, no team in the NHL would get much done.

All that being said, I want a Stanley Cup as much as anyone.