Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by wienerdog »

donlever wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
Re: Gaustad: I would have preferred him over Pahlsson on our team, but I'm not upset w what we got - especially at the price we paid.
If we'd flipped another late 20'ish pick for a short term player Southern Canuck would have had heart failure.
Donny!

*insert resounding high-five smack echo heard around the Lower Mainland*

What the hell took you so long?
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Reefer2 wrote:This deal done in the off season would have been better.
For the Canucks, certainly. But how about Buffalo? Come the offseason, depending on their playoff success/woes and the specifics thereof, this deal might not be available.

I think that a different deal started communication between Vancouver and Buffalo, which was scrapped, and this opportunity came up. Makes sense in a long-term way, so MG was smart enough to gamble losing Hodgeson (given he had just acquired Pahlsson and AV would have had to shuffle Hodgeson around) and acquiesced but asked for Gragani for a token player.

Looks like an unexpected opportunity that was grasped by both sides, we'll see whether it plays out for either GM involved.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

wienerdog wrote: Donny!

Wiener.

I had to decide whether I could still hang out with a pal of Blake Prices or not.
DeLevering since 1999.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Wow! Even after a couple of days, I am still "wowing" over GMMG & Co and their unpredictable, deadline dealing. :sly: Who would have guessed that they would have gone to this extent to "tweak" a team that sits atop the standings? Overall, I'm impressed with the thoroughness of the operation that was put into place. Of course, the major piece was trading Hodgson. The package that went both ways made it work, as well as bringing in Paullson. With just Sami P at C on the 3rd, the team is, at least equal to where it was before trading Hodgson. I definitely think Sami P is more reliable than Cody in that position - especially defensively (which is most important during the playoffs). I think his offense may have been underestimated, by the way. Will we lose some offense? Maybe, but remember, we'll have Reinprecht up for the playoffs, and he could definitely add an offensive element to the bottom 6.

But with the addition of Kassian, the Canucks have potentially solved a couple of conundrums at the same time. Enough has been written about what he could bring to the team, as opposed to Cody. We'll see. And, it also solves the problem posed by Cody - what to do with him? And, for me, I see the addition of MAG as a great (again) potential bonus in the deal! Nothing wrong with having a young D with high offensive potential on this team.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

donlever wrote:
wienerdog wrote: Donny!

Wiener.

I had to decide whether I could still hang out with a pal of Blake Prices or not.
Aw, c'mon donny, why you gotta play like that? :wink:

It's not even my fault I know him! He's a family friend. We're chums at gatherings like once a year. Hardly what I'd call "pals", but as I said before, a decent enough guy.

As for his on air stuff, he's the best of the worst. Hell, I'd take you as a sportscaster before him, don, and I've never even heard your voice. :eh:

(you're not mute, are you donny?)
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Just sort of looking through some of the deadline deals.

Can anyone tell me why in the world the Wild would Schultz for Gilbert?