GDT: 2/28 - Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

porp
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: 2/28 - Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm SNet

Post by porp »

Mëds wrote:I can't figure out why Doan wants to stay when he would get the same, or better, money somewhere else.
Family?

Good to hear that Kassian is at least enthusiastic in his first game for his new team.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Lol. Dude isn't entirely wrong about David "Blondie" Booth. Still, that doesn't make the altar boy a bad pickup. He's been playing quite well. His speed and net determination is exactly what this team needs.

Maybe the Dude needs to start beating on Mason "The Natural Born Offense Killer" Raymond a little bit more. His go to move seems to be the patented puck-pounding, triple twist gainer belly flop into the ice... leading to the Kassian penalty and a fantastic last 15 seconds of the 3rd period.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well I liked both new guys ..they will be good for us. Rd is correct, for a kid kassian can read a play. I think our style,veterans, team Philosophy will brimg out the potential, pahlsson is pretty good .

Could we do anymore to piss Calgary off..lofl

Hottest team this month was a bieksas post from finishing with a loss.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

No excuses for this one. The team seemed to have their legs for most of the night.

The good...

Kassian. He was all over the boards after the puck, twice he got it free and immediately setup a solid one-timer from the point. He went to the net with confidence, and I loved that when he saw Henrik get the puck on the rush he went straight down the middle for a pass.....too bad Smith read it so well. Did a good job in his own end too, coming back hard. His game just gets even more impressive when you consider he left Buffalo today, got off the plane and went straight to warm-ups.

Bieksa. Solid game from Juice. Big hits, no real screw ups.

Schneider. Only reason this team got a single point tonight, despite his few bad reads while playing the puck he made some amazing saves turning away multiple Phoenix chances. If not for some terrible defensive coverage on the part of Edler and Salo Schneider would likely have posted a shutout.

Booth and Pahlsson both played good games. Pahlsson was very good at disrupting the Phoenix rush and backing checking in the slot. Booth played his usual game, going hard to the net and never taking a shift off.

The bad...

Tanev. Multiple gaffs tonight, just not a good game for the youngster. It doesn't help that he is paired with a guy who can't bail him out, although Rome did make a couple of very good defensive plays in front of Schneider and is not at fault for anything tonight. I'll go one further and say that Rome's play tonight almost landed him in the "good" column for me.

Kesler. He wasn't terrible, but there were several rushes where a pass would have been a much better choice than a poor angle back hander with a guy on his back that misses the net. He just didn't provide what he could have tonight.

Raymond. Missed several great chances to put a rebound towards the net while Smith was down and out. Instead, he didn't and turned and circled with the puck rather than chance missing on the backhand. By then both Smith and the defense had recovered. Having played in the NHL for a couple of seasons now, Raymond should now that when the goalie is down you have a better chance of scoring on a hot goalie with a low percentage backhand when the goalie is down and has no idea where the puck is than you do with a perimeter shot after both the goalie and defense have recovered. He killed the offense a few times tonight by not shooting when he should have. His shootout move was the worst spin-o-rama I have ever seen.

Offense. In general the Canucks cycled the perimeter, didn't take high percentage shots, and received very few second shot opportunities because too few players went to the net. It was a soft game and the attack was poorly executed. The first unit PP was abysmal to start out, and in general our PP never did anything until the last 30 seconds of the man advantage.

Mike Smith. Put up a brick wall tonight.....asshole. He's in my bad books. :P

The Average...

Everyone else. The defense was actually decent overall tonight, I liked the way we disrupted the Phoenix attack and thought they did a really good job of clearing pucks away to the corners after Schneider had made the first save or after he had gotten caught out of position. Whitney should never have gotten through to score that tying goal, even though Schneider's rebound control could have been much better, both Edler and Salo should have read Whitney's path and cut him off. Outside of that it was a decent game defensively.

Question, why do none of our shooters other than Burrows ever do what Boedeker did? Convincing shot fake and then to the side and in.

Roadtrip is done, we go home with 8 of a possible 12 points. Considering the way it started, and the back-to-back in Detroit/New Jersey, this is nothing but a success. Afterall, we are coming back in top spot.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:You can tell right away that Kassian sees the ice a thousand times better than Booth, which might explain why Kassian replaced David 'Zero Hockey Sense' Booth on Keslers line toward the end of the 2nd period. If I was David 'Turnover the Puck to the Opposing Team' Booth I'd feel a little threatened by this Kassian fella.

Impressed with Kassian's on ice vision and playing with his head up instead of buried in the ice like David 'I can't pass' Booth.
Who set up the puck for Kesler to one-time it in the slot? It was David "I can't pass" Booth... :hmmm:
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:No excuses for this one. The team seemed to have their legs for most of the night.

The good...
now, Raymond should now that when the goalie is down you have a better chance of scoring on a hot goalie with a low percentage backhand when the goalie is down and has no idea where the puck is than you do with a perimeter shot after both the goalie and defense have recovered. He killed the offense a few times tonight by not shooting when he should have. His shootout move was the worst spin-o-rama I have ever seen.

Offense. In general the Canucks cycled the perimeter, didn't take high percentage shots, and received very few second shot opportunities because too few players went to the net. It was a soft game and the attack was poorly executed. The first unit PP was abysmal to start out, and in general our PP never did anything until the last 30 seconds of the man advantage.
One more in the "good" column - the overtime.
Shots were 5 - zip for the Canucks - they looked dominant in the extra frame.

I wish they would have 10 min overtime before the shootout. 8-)
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Wtf is up with Raymond blowing tires all the time? I know he's prone to falling over, but tonight seemed to take it to a whole new level...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

wienerdog wrote:Wtf is up with Raymond blowing tires all the time? I know he's prone to falling over, but tonight seemed to take it to a whole new level...
He really does flop about quite a bit, come to think of it....
If you need air...call it in
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

wienerdog wrote:Wtf is up with Raymond blowing tires all the time? I know he's prone to falling over, but tonight seemed to take it to a whole new level...
...can't remember who but one of the 1040 bull honks tweeted during the game that Mason must have forgotten to take his skate guards off.

Dude goes down quicker (and more often) than Jenna Jameson.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
...can't remember who but one of the 1040 bull honks tweeted during the game that Mason must have forgotten to take his skate guards off.

Dude goes down quicker (and more often) than Jenna Jameson.
I think she can bend over backwards better than him though :eh:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hank wrote:Lol. Dude isn't entirely wrong about David "Blondie" Booth.
You putting your Bill Guerin hopefulness aside unlike the rest here and seeing the light on David Booth for who he really is and why the Panthers ousted him with a 3rd round pick sweetener for a pair of wonky geriatrics? He's got one tool David Booth, cheat at the blueline, Pavel Bure style, waiting for a breakout pass from the hard defensive work of his teamates and skate like the wind outside the D-man and drive to the net with the puck without having to look for teamates and stickhandle. That's about it in a nutshell.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:Well I liked both new guys ..they will be good for us. Rd is correct, for a kid kassian can read a play.
I was really pleased to see that Kassian possesses a head for the game, made some smart plays that you would never see from Booth. I guarantee you, in time, Kassian will pass Booth on the Winger depth chart cause of his smarts.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Kassian's speed exceeded my expectations. His puck handling / sense & board play appeared about on par with Bitz. We’ll see how it goes as the adrenalin wears off & he gets more comfortable with the guys.

Pahlsson showed flashes of a guy who is very solid on the puck, but it's too early to say how much of his 2007 game remains.

Looking forward to seeing MAG next time.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I know its first game and all..but like eddy said..."maybe a little sooner" ha-ha

I am no where near terrified, in fact with the extra room and less demands on 17 I think our scoring will Increase we wont miss the 8 goals cody would have got
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Thoughts on Kassian...

He looked good. The speed, hockey-sense, hands and forecheck was there. He made a few nice passes in the offensive zone, including a confident drop pass in tight and finding the open man on the point as the back checkers were converging on the puck and heading down-low. Other than a couple of chances he was involved in, one play in the 1st period really shook out for me. He was skating through the neutral zone when he was given a hard, possibly wobbly saucer pass and he skillfully nabbed it out of the air and brought it down on his tape onto the ice without any hesitation in his skating and barrelled into the offensive zone.

I liked that he didn't drop the gloves with Biznasty in the first period because Kassian isn't an enforcer and there is no need to get into useless fights with enforcers early in games when the fight has no precursor and is meaningless. His job is to be an offensive and physical force who stick up for his teammates and makes life tough for the opposition. He shouldn't be playing down to the behest of a player who skates less than 8 minutes a game. Kassian will get into plenty of fights, but he shouldn't waste his time with meaningless ones.