Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Strangelove »

Vpete wrote:HOLY FUCK!!!!
THE HOLIEST!! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

nyintensity wrote:You can't put too much weight on how Buffalo's AHL players do - they're perennially good. Kassian's had difficulties adjusting to the NHL game, but he does well on a 3rd or 4th line. He'll grow into a 2nd liner, but he's limited right now. A big reason he's had any ice time in the NHL is because of how hurt Buffalo has been this season (at one point we had 9 players out of or regular lineup).
I'm looking at the Portland Pirates stats from the last couple years, plus the Rochester Americans stats for this year, and it looks like both teams have AHL vets putting up the big numbers, but not a lot from prospects. A few notable prospects who had big numbers on the Buffalo farm team in recent years are Tyler Ennis, Nathan Gerbe, Luke Adam, Gragnani, and maybe Paul Byron? Except maybe Byron, I'd say the rest have had pretty successful transitions to the NHL.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

The thing that gets me is surely we could have got someone less risky for Coho? I thought we were looking for the here and now. Not the "possibly in the next few years." Is Gillis hoping Kassian can contribute right away? At his age and with his history on-ice and off-ice, I wonder how he'll pan out. I never thought Gillis was the type to rush young players. Maybe he'll task one of the veterans to take Kassian under his wing; like Snepsts and Linden.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

cjc wrote:The thing that gets me is surely we could have got someone less risky for Coho? I thought we were looking for the here and now. Not the "possibly in the next few years." Is Gillis hoping Kassian can contribute right away? At his age and with his history on-ice and off-ice, I wonder how he'll pan out. I never thought Gillis was the type to rush young players. Maybe he'll task one of the veterans to take Kassian under his wing; like Snepsts and Linden.

A big part of the here and now is Pahlsson. With his addition, Cody became more tradeable for those other parts, which are basically Kassian and MAG.

MG said today that once the decision was made to trade Cody he was not going to trade him for a 30 something player. It had to be for youth coming back. So you know the asking price for Ott was Cody and MG was not going to pull that trigger.

Like most people I think Cody will in all likelihood out score Kassian throughout their respective careers. We know what we gave up. But until we see Kassian and MAG in action over the next 20 playoff prepatory games we can't really judge.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote:
cjc wrote:The thing that gets me is surely we could have got someone less risky for Coho? I thought we were looking for the here and now. Not the "possibly in the next few years." Is Gillis hoping Kassian can contribute right away? At his age and with his history on-ice and off-ice, I wonder how he'll pan out. I never thought Gillis was the type to rush young players. Maybe he'll task one of the veterans to take Kassian under his wing; like Snepsts and Linden.

A big part of the here and now is Pahlsson. With his addition, Cody became more tradeable for those other parts, which are basically Kassian and MAG.

MG said today that once the decision was made to trade Cody he was not going to trade him for a 30 something player. It had to be for youth coming back. So you know the asking price for Ott was Cody and MG was not going to pull that trigger.

Like most people I think Cody will in all likelihood out score Kassian throughout their respective careers. We know what we gave up. But until we see Kassian and MAG in action over the next 20 playoff prepatory games we can't really judge.
I agree that Cody is a better prospect than Kassian, but Henrik and Kesler will be at the centre of our first two lines for years to come. Thus in Cody we had a great assett that we could not put to proper use. Kassian is a different chess piece altogether, and one that we were missing. I assume that Gillis decided that Kassian was more useful to the Canucks over the next three years than Cody would have been, and which player ends up being better after that remains to be seen.

Kassian addresses the need for bigger and grittier players that the fans have been howling about for years. He's young and can probably be nurtured into becoming a great role player on the team. At first I really questioned this trade, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I think Gillis has a pretty good idea of what he is doing. 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Kassian addresses the need for bigger and grittier players that the fans have been howling about for years. He's young and can probably be nurtured into becoming a great role player on the team. At first I really questioned this trade, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. I think Gillis has a pretty good idea of what he is doing. 8-)

Again agree with you and what others are saying about Kassian, the deal is not the main issue, it is the timing. This deal IMO does nothing to help the Canucks win the SC this year and that is all that matters.

This deal done in the off season would have been better.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

What about some moves other teams have made.

Detroit:
Additions Quincey
Subtractions: Commodore

Detroit gains a d that has played in their system before and can likely walk right into their lineup with little difficulty. He certainly played a good game vs the Canucks last week. The team didn't need much tweaking other than depth as far I can tell so they only got better with this trade.

SJS:
Additions: Winnik, Galiardi
Subtractions: Mcginn/minor leaguers

San Jose gets more skill with this trade, both players are bigger than McGinn but are less physical. I'm not sad to see Mcginn go to what is currently a non playoff team as this guy loves to lay hits on Canucks. The sharks get a former 9th rounder in Winnik who has under 20 pts but is a fairly big guy, not sure how much he hits. Galiardi is more of the same, 40ish pt depth forward who is also minus for the season along with Winnik. Overall they lost some physicality and gained a touch of depth. No home runs here.

This team has had a horrible run of luck lately and I don't see this putting them over the top. Their plane broke down again this morning and are going through a free fall in the standings.

Chicago:
Addition: Oduya
subtraction: Scott

Chicago trades away a 2nd and a 3rd for a 5/6th 31 year old defenseman rental, I didn't know Stan Bowman apprenticed under Burke/Nonis.

Nashville
Additions: Gaustad, Kostitsyn, Gill
subtractions: Geoffrion, Slaney, Smithson
I'm not sure what Gaustad brings to the table, perhaps some Buffalo posters can fill us in if they are still out and about. Kostitsyn brings random effort and ability each night, perhaps the cave troll can motivate him to be more consistent. Also not sure if reuniting those brothers was a good or bad idea as apparently they just kept to themselves in Montreal. Overall they certainly improved their depth and scoring through committee and Gill takes a load off Weber or Suter on the PK which also lets them focus more on offense.

St Louis stands pat - They just passed Detroit in the standings and have a fairly good team as is.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote: Again agree with you and what others are saying about Kassian, the deal is not the main issue, it is the timing. This deal IMO does nothing to help the Canucks win the SC this year and that is all that matters.

This deal done in the off season would have been better.
Not to pick on you here Reef, but I do disagree that this doesn't help us for a Stanley Cup run this year.

We picked up depth on defense, and by the looks of things someone that can help anchor the point on the second PP. We also picked up some young size and grit for our bottom six and on the wings with one player.

Don't forget that Pahlsson adds something that has been missing from Hodgson in that he can kill penalties, and he is another player that can be relied upon to take key faceoffs. He took more than double that of any other player in Columbus and had a 51.1% win percentage.

This acquisition alone enables us to free up Kesler to play a more offensive role as opposed to that key shutdown centre he has been playing because we weren't confident in Cody's ability to play that role.

It also remained to be seen how well Cody would perform come playoff time when space is even more limited and the games are more physical. Although I was optimistic that with his hockey smarts he would figure things out, it may not have been this year though.

We are a deeper, more well rounded team heading into the playoffs right now. Now that isn't saying that the new guys will help significantly and they may not have the chemistry but they do help in a few areas that likely lead to our demise last year.

Size, grit and depth.
nyintensity
CC Veteran

Post by nyintensity »

Benjo wrote: I'm not sure what Gaustad brings to the table, perhaps some Buffalo posters can fill us in if they are still out and about.
Gaustad is a heart and soul kind of guy. He brings a 57% faceoff win rate (he takes faceoffs with both hands - he'll switch depending on opponent), is gutsy, works hard every shift, and was a major part of our penalty kill. Nashville picked up a very good player.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

nyintensity wrote:
Benjo wrote: I'm not sure what Gaustad brings to the table, perhaps some Buffalo posters can fill us in if they are still out and about.
Gaustad is a heart and soul kind of guy. He brings a 57% faceoff win rate (he takes faceoffs with both hands - he'll switch depending on opponent), is gutsy, works hard every shift, and was a major part of our penalty kill. Nashville picked up a very good player.
NAS is much improved, methinks. They are becoming a truly scary opponent now that they are pulling the plugs on their self-imposed cap.

Re: Gaustad: I would have preferred him over Pahlsson on our team, but I'm not upset w what we got - especially at the price we paid.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

wienerdog wrote:
Re: Gaustad: I would have preferred him over Pahlsson on our team, but I'm not upset w what we got - especially at the price we paid.
If we'd flipped another late 20'ish pick for a short term player Southern Canuck would have had heart failure.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

donlever wrote:
wienerdog wrote:
If we'd flipped another late 20'ish pick for a short term player Southern Canuck would have had heart failure.
He's been doing real well here Donny.

We'll win the cup, said player will get traded, we'll get some new young blood for Cory, NYI will still be NYI... let's never revisit the past again.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hank wrote: He's been doing real well here Donny.

We'll win the cup, said player will get traded, we'll get some new young blood for Cory, NYI will still be NYI... let's never revisit the past again.
Excellent then.

Done and done.

Cheers Hank!
DeLevering since 1999.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

donlever wrote:
Hank wrote: He's been doing real well here Donny.

Excellent then.

Done and done.

Cheers Hank!
Yup, he stopped mentioning the "B" word and the "G" word and a month later everyone liked him again.

Funny how that works :lol:
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

You guys are fucking jerks.

:)

I credit Potatoe who calmly pointed out the no-win situation.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!