Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by tantalum »

Lack of toughness may not have been the cause of the game 7 loss I agree. However, no question the canucks skilled forwards take a lot of abuse during and after play. Some more physical components might be able to head that off a bit. As well the canucks do have smaller wingers and adding some size on the wings will help them against those hard forechecking teams.

However, in the end having big, skilled players that can protect the puck and go to the net is certainly better than not having them. The additions Gillis has made haven't been knuckle draggers. They are guys like Booth, Bitz and now Kassian (and even Pinnizotto etc) are all guys that provide that go to the net but you do not sacrifice overall skill.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

UWS, what are your thoughts about the way Hodgson was used here?

I just can't help the feeling that the Canucks thought they would have to go out of their way to hide Hodgson, particularly on the road.. I know the Canucks did very poorly on the road in the playoffs last year where they couldn't get their matchups..

I guess if you believe Silent G was going to raise his game in the playoffs then any criticisms based on what's happened in the regular season are undermined, but I don't know if that's a great bet (even though he has intangibles galore by virtually all accounts).
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

tantalum wrote:However, in the end having big, skilled players that can protect the puck and go to the net is certainly better than not having them. The additions Gillis has made haven't been knuckle draggers.
I agree with this -- GMMG is not interested in one-dimensional players. And I think swapping Sammuelsson for Booth is a very significant improvement in this lineup vs. last year (especially with Sammy out in the playoffs....). Booth presents a totally different threat, and that was the significant deal this year.

Kassian might end up better than Booth, insofar as most peg him as meaner and having better puck control (Booth's worst skill). But there is *so* much uncertainty.
Hono_rary Canadian
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well the thing is..he was a slower 3rd line centre on this team, but he could score and was smart with the puck.5 years down the road maybe he would have captains our team..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

At the same time, this trade has the real potential to be a colossal failure and a serious black mark on Gillis and the Canucks. There is no guarantee that this Kassian kid is going to be what you are all anticipating him to be, I see that it's already starting, like every new player we get - the overly high expectations. I keep hearing, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic. Hey people, Zack Kassian could very well end up being a Isbister, Bernier, Pyatt dud. A big bodied peice of uselessness. Also, why is everyone talking like this guy is a FIGHTING MACHINE power forward like Milan Lucic. I see nowhere in his hockey history that says that other than his reputation to throw a dirty hit. Is everyone confusing him with the Kassian in Minnesota?

This trade is a huge gamble for Gillis, I respect him for that, but this trade could very well be a total failure. Cody Hodgson is a little bit more of a guaranteed kid with loads of potential, it's not out of the realm that CoHo could be the star player that it looked like he was becoming and that Zack Kassian could mount to nothing more than a Steve Bernier type, or Isbister or Pyatt all big bodied power forward players who were once high draft picks that looked like studs in the junior years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

What has the world come to when I agree with RD? :?:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:At the same time, this trade has the real potential to be a colossal failure and a serious black mark on Gillis and the Canucks. There is no guarantee that this Kassian kid is going to be what you are all anticipating him to be, I see that it's already starting, like every new player we get - the overly high expectations. I keep hearing, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic. Hey people, Zack Kassian could very well end up being a Isbister, Bernier, Pyatt dud. A big bodied peice of uselessness. Also, why is everyone talking like this guy is a FIGHTING MACHINE power forward like Milan Lucic. I see nowhere in his hockey history that says that other than his reputation to throw a dirty hit. Is everyone confusing him with the Kassian in Minnesota?

This trade is a huge gamble for Gillis, I respect him for that, but this trade could very well be a total failure. Cody Hodgson is a little bit more of a guaranteed kid with loads of potential, it's not out of the realm that CoHo could be the star player that it looked like he was becoming and that Zack Kassian could mount to nothing more than a Steve Bernier type, or Isbister or Pyatt all big bodied power forward players who were once high draft picks that looked like studs in the junior years.
why is everyone fixated on Kassian? Kassian envy?! 8-) We got a pretty good young D prospect in return and if he winds up being in our top 4 then I would be pretty happy with the trade in the years to come. CoHo was not giving us much more in terms of the defensive side of the game and we already have 6 guys that can score in different ways, what we got are not rentals either. In the off season/at the draft Cory goes and we get a big scoring winger back.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Old Stick wrote: If it weren't for HW this place would be a toilet.
said the corn riddled coiler sticking out of the bowl.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Old Stick wrote: If it weren't for HW this place would be a toilet.
said the corn riddled coiler sticking out of the bowl.
U funny blob..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:At the same time, this trade has the real potential to be a colossal failure and a serious black mark on Gillis and the Canucks. There is no guarantee that this Kassian kid is going to be what you are all anticipating him to be, I see that it's already starting, like every new player we get - the overly high expectations. I keep hearing, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic, Milan Lucic. Hey people, Zack Kassian could very well end up being a Isbister, Bernier, Pyatt dud. A big bodied peice of uselessness. Also, why is everyone talking like this guy is a FIGHTING MACHINE power forward like Milan Lucic. I see nowhere in his hockey history that says that other than his reputation to throw a dirty hit. Is everyone confusing him with the Kassian in Minnesota?
:lol:

It's you against the world RD, just like usual - the lone beacon of reason and insight in the dark wilderness that is CanucksCorner.com.

People say "Milan Lucic" along with terms like "poor man's" or "upside" - nobody thinks we have a guarantee of a player of that ilk, just a player who is promising and could develop along those lines. We all know that promising players fail to deliver on said promise all the time.

The simple fact is that we are all fairly casual fans and in order to relate a player's skill set or disposition the easiest way is to use the shorthand of comparing them to other notable players with whom other posters are going to have some familiarity. So maybe just get over it Dude, nobody is saying that Kassian is going to singlehandedly beat up half the roster of our playoff opponents, and most have no illusions about him playing in the top six any time soon.

That being said, I completely agree with this:
We just won't know what we've got out of this trade, and while we will be able to criticize it's timing as soon as the coming offseason it could be years before we see what kind of assets Kassian and Gragnani develop into for this team.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

One thing that I have not thought about a lot is the addition of Gragnani and only losing Sulzer. Gragnani is only 24 and looks to have a lot of potential to become an offensive defenceman.

This should give AV more options instead of playing Rome/Alberts every game.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote:One thing that I have not thought about a lot is the addition of Gragnani and only losing Sulzer. Gragnani is only 24 and looks to have a lot of potential to become an offensive defenceman.

This should give AV more options instead of playing Rome/Alberts every game.
And pahlsson...although not part of this trade.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Arachnid wrote:

why is everyone fixated on Kassian? Kassian envy?! 8-) We got a pretty good young D prospect in return and if he winds up being in our top 4 then I would be pretty happy with the trade in the years to come. CoHo was not giving us much more in terms of the defensive side of the game and we already have 6 guys that can score in different ways, what we got are not rentals either. In the off season/at the draft Cory goes and we get a big scoring winger back.
The key is that the Canucks got two young players (Kassian and Gragnani) for Hodgson. Sulzer was basically a throw-in to get rid of one contract for the Canucks. It might not be the best deal but it definitely addressed two needs for the Canucks, size up front and a potential top-four defenseman. Kassian is under contract for two more seasons and Gragnani is a RFA without much bargaining power. The worst case scenario is that Kassian will be a third and fourth line winger for the Canucks. In the best case scenario, Kassian could also play with the Sedins (remember Brookbank, he scored two goals in two games playing with the Sedins). Burrows might decide to be an UFA after next season. This deal could potential give MG another option.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I hate losing the kid but admire the guts MG shows with this trade. IF and that is a big IF Kassian turns out well we win. He is just 21 and is a big bodied work in progress. Coming to Van he is going to be around winners and most of all we did get tougher. MG always said he did not want a goon and this kid has potential to be much more. Like I said I hate losing the kid. Made me feel sick for a moment when I read about it but I have to ask myself one question. Did this trade combined with Pahlson make us more likely to win the Cup this year? The answer has to be yes for me. Pahlson frees up Kes a bit and provides a shut down center who hits. Come the p/o no one is going to push this team around and almost all of us have called for this. Sure it is a big price but so is the prize. If we win the Cup the trade is a winner. Come draft day we are going to get some talent back through trade so the scoring can be replaced. I still wonder if that Mcilrath kid was available for trade? Still, it gives us a better shot come the grind.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:Mëds - I agree that we needed to add toughness, I just don't see how a 21 yr old with 27 NHL games is the answer for this years playoffs?
Because in the role we are now asking him to play there isn't too much pressure on the kid. Why get an aging player that may be a rental?

Obviously the ideal scenario would be to get a proven winger with some toughness that can add another dimension to our team. There weren't many of those available, and evidently the price tag for a guy like Ott was just too high.

So Gillis took a bit of a gamble in picking up a younger player and giving up his third line centre but he's only going to be asked to play a bottom 6 role immediately, and he has numerous players to look up to in the hopes that he can eventually fill his potential.

Right now he adds significant grit to our wings, in the future he may be that power forward this team has been missing since Bertuzzi Moored Moore!

Gillis stated not that long ago that he wanted to change the dynamics of the line-up. He most definitely has done that.