Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Somebody get the Raymond traders a subscription of Xanax that will take them through to the end of the season. It must be a terrifically terrible day for them.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:But hey opinions are like *assholes*. Speaking of that: You ARE in love with Cody.
har har... :roll:

I would term it as "Agápe" than "Éros" if you want to make man-love insinuations. I just don't bend that way... ;)
Strangelove wrote:I just finished reading miles of postings by hundreds of Sabre fans

... and I'd say 95% of em figure Kassian is a can't-miss NHL powerforward in the making.
Buffalo fans may be saying that in order to make the ass pain of this trade more palatable (sorry, couldn't help myself), or they could have thought the same of Steve Bernier.
Last edited by Lancer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RoyalDude wrote:Somebody get the Raymond traders a subscription of Xanax that will take them through to the end of the season. It must be a terrifically terrible day for them.
I for one am happy Raymond is still a canuck given no upgrade for his position in the lineup could be found for reaosnable price (rumour is he was offered for Ott but Dallas didn't want him). I don't think many thought Hodgson would be moved, but then again I don't think many would have predicted Ashton and Kassian getting moved on deadline day! THe canucks shuffled some things around and got themselves some better balance going into the playoffs. At least I think so. Who knows with all the rumours out of the way and a couple of goal Raymond might just get back to that 25G 50pt form.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Thanks for the insight HW. Too bad things worked out as they did. Any word why Gillis went after Kassian, beyond Eric Crawford and Dave Gagner's endorsement of the kid?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lancer wrote:Thanks for the insight HW. Too bad things worked out as they did. Any word why Gillis went after Kassian, beyond Eric Crawford and Dave Gagner's endorsement of the kid?

No. And it wasn't just Kassian we got. Sulzer was the cap and contract dump to make the numbers work so it was basically a 2 for 1 deal. We still want to get Ballard back into the line up before the playoffs if we can and if he can.
The only HW the Canucks need
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: If he can be a 20 goal 40 point guy with his size and toughness, he's a huge asset and perhaps even more valuable then the 60+ point guy Cody Hodgson will most likely turn into.
Why Potski it does my heart good to hear you talk that way! ;)
I've always been high on big, physical, guys who can actually play.

I just don't want garbage players on the roster strictly to fight.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

tantalum wrote: Who knows with all the rumours out of the way and a couple of goal Raymond might just get back to that 25G 50pt form.
Hey yeeeah! Then we could trade him straight up for Ott. :thumbs:

*puts Xanax back on the shelf*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: I've always been high on big, physical, guys who are actually play.

I just don't want garbage players on the roster strictly to fight.
Well you're a lot like me then! :thumbs:

Although I don't mind a goon inserted into the lineup occasionally during the regular season

.... if & when it works.

(I'm old-fashioned). ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

I actually love what Kassian can be and what he's billed to develop into. And I actually would trade Cody straight up for that given the team's most pressing needs. My only problem is we don't know if he will get there, whereas Cody has already broken through to a degree and we know what we have in him at worse.

Yes, big mean scoring power forwards are extremely rare..but they are also very hit or miss and usually take much longer to pan out than naturally gifted forwards like Cody. The good news, and this is huge for me, is that while Zack is a year younger and a year behind in development than Cody, he's already passed the AHL test in a big way..AND already has some valuable NHL experience under his belt having played 27 games. You could argue he's ahead now of where Cody was last year.

I preached patience throughout Cody's development and it had finally started to pay off. I preach the same now with Zack. I still fear...but I'm excited.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

thanks for the insight HW.

I am sure that Kassian is one big hit away from becoming a canuck fan favorite, but I still think that some here are selling Coho short on his skill set and hockey smarts.... but hey, thats why GMMG gets paid the big bucks. to make thse decisions.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

[quote="Lancer]Check the Memorial Cup stats. I see a lot of Hall, Nemisz, Loktionov, Ellis, Cundari, Cam Fowler and Eric Wellwood amongst the top scorers from Windsor, but no Kassian. Seems he was more a passenger than a driver of that bus.[/quote]
I did as you said, and checked theMemorial Cup stats from 2010.
First, Loktionov was in the 2009 Memorial Cup.
Second, Kassian had 2g 3a 5pts, which places him higher than Nemisz (1g 4a), Ellis (0g 5a). He was one assist shy of a 3-way tie with Wellwood, Fowler and Dale Mitchell for 3rd most points on the team. As it stands, Kassian is 7th on the 2010 Memorial Cup winning team for points.
Kassian was tied for 8th-most goals in the tournament.

Maybe a bit early to write Kassian off...?
Madcombinepilot wrote:I still think that some here are selling Coho short on his skill set and hockey smarts....
I would consider myself on of these, because I'm trying to rationalize a deal that sees the Canucks lose one of the best prospects they've had in 10 years. I love Cody, and thought he could be a great player for the Canucks, but I'm happy with the trade and the holes that MG has filled in the Canucks prospect depth.

I actually like Dude's rumour of a "handshake" deal for Schnieder - looking at the likely trade partners for Schneider, they all have a top-quality center prospect that is moveable, and with Cody gone such a deal makes sense. Trading Schneider for Connelly now makes sense.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

meh. whne you have a guy like schnieder, you dont need a handshake deal. there are about 26 teams in the league that would grab him in a heartbeat.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

You like the Dude's rumour do you? How exciting that must be for you.

Twat.

If it weren't for HW this place would be a toilet.

I'll read from now on.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Thanks HW.

What I don't like about how the Canucks handled CH and KB4 is that they seem to be having issues between the coach and the players and in both cases the players lost. This can be expected from a GM like MG as he seems to be a guy who goes to bat for his guys and AV seems to be his guy.

All this talk about what CH did not do or could not skate yet he played only 71 NHL games. In 63 games this season he has 33 points and is on pace for 43 points which is more than Kesler/Sedin did in their first season. What more did they want from this kid? He could not skate is a comment I hear a lot, interesting as in the games I watched he did not seem to be that out played or out skated. He worked hard to come back and be good in his own end, his +8 puts him 8th on the team.

AV is an old style coach who has proven to like certain types of players and screws with the minds of the players he does not like and IMHO and when he acts like this it hurts the team more than helps. Look no further than last season in the playoffs, a KB4 who was not mind fucked by AV would have helped more than Alberts or even Rome. Kesler had an injury and no last year CH would not have helped but this year if Kesler went down CH would be a hell of a lot better than the scraps we picked up today.

In a few years maybe Kassian may be what we need but he will not help the team this playoffs more than CH. I would not mind this trade in the off season I just think it is a stupid trade now to do, none of the players we picked up today has any offensive potential like CH and come playoffs if Kesler or Sedin gets injured there is no one who can fill that spot.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Pretty shocking to see Silent G moved but I think HW's narrative of a lack of versatility doing him in makes a lot of sense - almost like he was a (very) rich man's Kyle Wellwood.

Meanwhile, in return we've got a poor man's Milan Lucic and a destitute man's Christian Ehrhoff by the sounds of it. Obviously both players are young enough to improve upon that, and it's good for the Canucks to have increased the number of young, improving players on their roster going forward.

I'll reserve judgement on the deal until I can see the new Canucks play, adjust and develop but I think Gillis made the best of a bad situation (that is, pulling the trigger on a deal where you are losing the best player).

In the short term I am very curious to see whether Kassian can play above a fourth line roll (assuming the "third" line is the one with the tough matchups) and what Gragnani has to offer. By the way it looks like despite shooting left Gragnani has played much of his even strength ice time on the side side of a pairing with either Christian Ehrhoff or Jordan Leopold.