Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Wow, I went away for the afternoon and come back to this. Holly sh%t batman!!

So this is what I have been told. No. Cody did not ask for a trade. His discontent stems from last years playoffs when he was a healthy scratch for game 7 even though AV dressed several players who were nursing injuries. But that type of compete was to be expected and no one was really upset with him being upset as he kept it in the dressing room.

Fast forward, he is having good year but every mistake is magnified. His ice time gets reduced, he is asked to play wing and not too successfully. Every time he gets adjusted with line mates a change happens. The poor me syndrome gets a little louder. But still no real distraction just a few vets telling him he has to earn his stripes, Stamkos he ain't.

Fast forward, and the team is looking for balance in the lines. As a last resort they try Cody as the "second" line centre between Booth and Raymond. He doesn't produce to the point that the Canucks feel they need to allow them to drop Kesler to the third line role. Maholtra can no longer fill that role and they prefer Lappy on the 4th line. So a decision needs to be made. Are they comfortable in having Cody as their third line centre going into the playoffs and if not will they have sufficient secondary scoring from the second line to allow them to keep Kesler on the third line? AV is also not pleased with the development of his defensive game nor with his ability to keep up with his line mates.

Back up to some history. AV felt from the time he meet Cody that he was a prima donna and was not impressed with his foot speed. This we know. We also know his heart was questioned with the mis-diagnosis of his injury and the relationship has never seemed to heal. Fast forward again, Cody knows he isn't going to be top six and he knows he isn't bring to the bottom six what the Canucks want and need. He is now a little of an outsider and feeling under utilized. No angry words no demands to be traded but palatable unhappiness. MG likes Cody and supports him for as long as he can.

Fast forward to today. He can't get the deal done he wants and Cody is the one piece most teams ask for. The decision is made that it is in the best interests of both parties to move on. MG wants to allow Cody an opportunity to get top six minutes and realizes that if he is going to trade him he needs more than a player like Ott coming back.

The bottom line is that Cody was not happy with his role on the Canucks and the Canucks were not happy with his inability to be moved throughout the line up as need be. He is and always will be a potential 2nd line centre.

Canucks grab Palhsson and the writing is on the wall. It was one of the first things I thought about when that trade was announced. Where will Cody play? He hasn't been a good winger for us and he isn't 4th line material.

The combined trades today were made for winning now but with an eye to the future. Who has more versatility today and can be used in the bottom 9, at centre or on wing? And I think, just my take on some of the words I am hearing, is that the lack of versatility and speed was Cody's undoing on the Canucks in the end.

The trade caught a few people off guard but from what I hear mom and dad are thrilled he will be in Buffalo as it is the next best thing to being a Leaf. I think though that the writing has been on the wall since last season. It has been discussed on these message boards. Where does he fit?

I don't know too much about what we got in return and I wish Cody well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Sad to see CoHo go but Zack Kassian is exactly what this team needs for it's identity. We were soarly lacking in that big, tough, can scrap and can play type of winger and to get those types of players you either have to draft them or pay a pretty high price for them in a trade. He's younger than CoHo and I think in the long run he will end up being more valuable to this team. We had depth at centre, Kesler and Hank ain't going anywhere soon, plus I honestly believe that CoHo wanted out but that we may never know.

Also, I honestly think that Gillis has a handshake deal with a team out there regarding Schneider but wants to keep him for the playoff run and won't officially do the deal until the draft. I've heard this from a few people and I believe that what we will be getting back for Schneider is a known top young centre. Would not be surprised to see a Brayden Schenn come this way for Schneider. The Flyers are done with Bryz, frustrated with their struggles with finding a good young goalie and have depth at centre. That being said, I think Ryan Johansen of the BJ's could be in the mix as well, or Connolly and extras from Tampa. Either way, the hole that the loss of Cody created down the middle in our youth department I think will be quickly corrected via trade with Schneider and I think the player will be better. I still question Hodgsons lack of leg strength.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Somebody get the Raymond traders a subscription of Xanax that will take them through to the end of the season. It must be a terrifically terrible day for them.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Strangelove wrote:But hey opinions are like *assholes*. Speaking of that: You ARE in love with Cody.

har har... :roll:

I would term it as "Agápe" than "Éros" if you want to make man-love insinuations. I just don't bend that way... ;)

Strangelove wrote:I just finished reading miles of postings by hundreds of Sabre fans

... and I'd say 95% of em figure Kassian is a can't-miss NHL powerforward in the making.

Buffalo fans may be saying that in order to make the ass pain of this trade more palatable (sorry, couldn't help myself), or they could have thought the same of Steve Bernier.
Last edited by Lancer on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby tantalum » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Somebody get the Raymond traders a subscription of Xanax that will take them through to the end of the season. It must be a terrifically terrible day for them.

I for one am happy Raymond is still a canuck given no upgrade for his position in the lineup could be found for reaosnable price (rumour is he was offered for Ott but Dallas didn't want him). I don't think many thought Hodgson would be moved, but then again I don't think many would have predicted Ashton and Kassian getting moved on deadline day! THe canucks shuffled some things around and got themselves some better balance going into the playoffs. At least I think so. Who knows with all the rumours out of the way and a couple of goal Raymond might just get back to that 25G 50pt form.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Lancer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the insight HW. Too bad things worked out as they did. Any word why Gillis went after Kassian, beyond Eric Crawford and Dave Gagner's endorsement of the kid?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Lancer wrote:Thanks for the insight HW. Too bad things worked out as they did. Any word why Gillis went after Kassian, beyond Eric Crawford and Dave Gagner's endorsement of the kid?

No. And it wasn't just Kassian we got. Sulzer was the cap and contract dump to make the numbers work so it was basically a 2 for 1 deal. We still want to get Ballard back into the line up before the playoffs if we can and if he can.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Potatoe1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:If he can be a 20 goal 40 point guy with his size and toughness, he's a huge asset and perhaps even more valuable then the 60+ point guy Cody Hodgson will most likely turn into.

Why Potski it does my heart good to hear you talk that way! ;)

I've always been high on big, physical, guys who can actually play.

I just don't want garbage players on the roster strictly to fight.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm

tantalum wrote:Who knows with all the rumours out of the way and a couple of goal Raymond might just get back to that 25G 50pt form.

Hey yeeeah! Then we could trade him straight up for Ott. :thumbs:

*puts Xanax back on the shelf*
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:I've always been high on big, physical, guys who are actually play.

I just don't want garbage players on the roster strictly to fight.

Well you're a lot like me then! :thumbs:

Although I don't mind a goon inserted into the lineup occasionally during the regular season

.... if & when it works.

(I'm old-fashioned). ;)
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I actually love what Kassian can be and what he's billed to develop into. And I actually would trade Cody straight up for that given the team's most pressing needs. My only problem is we don't know if he will get there, whereas Cody has already broken through to a degree and we know what we have in him at worse.

Yes, big mean scoring power forwards are extremely rare..but they are also very hit or miss and usually take much longer to pan out than naturally gifted forwards like Cody. The good news, and this is huge for me, is that while Zack is a year younger and a year behind in development than Cody, he's already passed the AHL test in a big way..AND already has some valuable NHL experience under his belt having played 27 games. You could argue he's ahead now of where Cody was last year.

I preached patience throughout Cody's development and it had finally started to pay off. I preach the same now with Zack. I still fear...but I'm excited.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran

Postby Madcombinepilot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

thanks for the insight HW.

I am sure that Kassian is one big hit away from becoming a canuck fan favorite, but I still think that some here are selling Coho short on his skill set and hockey smarts.... but hey, thats why GMMG gets paid the big bucks. to make thse decisions.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby ESQ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Lancer]Check the Memorial Cup stats. I see a lot of Hall, Nemisz, Loktionov, Ellis, Cundari, Cam Fowler and Eric Wellwood amongst the top scorers from Windsor, but no Kassian. Seems he was more a passenger than a driver of that bus.[/quote]
I did as you said, and checked theMemorial Cup stats from 2010.
First, Loktionov was in the 2009 Memorial Cup.
Second, Kassian had 2g 3a 5pts, which places him higher than Nemisz (1g 4a), Ellis (0g 5a). He was one assist shy of a 3-way tie with Wellwood, Fowler and Dale Mitchell for 3rd most points on the team. As it stands, Kassian is 7th on the 2010 Memorial Cup winning team for points.
Kassian was tied for 8th-most goals in the tournament.

Maybe a bit early to write Kassian off...?

[quote="Madcombinepilot wrote:
I still think that some here are selling Coho short on his skill set and hockey smarts....

I would consider myself on of these, because I'm trying to rationalize a deal that sees the Canucks lose one of the best prospects they've had in 10 years. I love Cody, and thought he could be a great player for the Canucks, but I'm happy with the trade and the holes that MG has filled in the Canucks prospect depth.

I actually like Dude's rumour of a "handshake" deal for Schnieder - looking at the likely trade partners for Schneider, they all have a top-quality center prospect that is moveable, and with Cody gone such a deal makes sense. Trading Schneider for Connelly now makes sense.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Madcombinepilot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:57 pm

meh. whne you have a guy like schnieder, you dont need a handshake deal. there are about 26 teams in the league that would grab him in a heartbeat.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with untill you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Postby Old Stick » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm

You like the Dude's rumour do you? How exciting that must be for you.

Twat.

If it weren't for HW this place would be a toilet.

I'll read from now on.
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat