Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by clem »

Hopefully, the character in our room will provide Kassian with the right influence.

We don't need to develop a Dustin Penner.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

May this trade speak to the organization's faith in Schroeder? I heard Gillis a month ago say he's improved to the point where he might get a sniff at some point this year and he may have just opened the door slightly at least for a small look..hmm?

As for Kassian, I like what we're trying to do here but I can't help but be reminded of trade deadline of 96 when Pittsburgh felt they had enough expendable skilled players to sacrifice a promising young one for their most pressing need of a big nasty winger. The good news is Kassian already outscored Stojanov's NHL career total...phew!
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Gotta say I'm shocked that CoHo was dealt period, but even more shocked that it didn't result in bona-fide NHL'ers coming our way.

Meh, I'm reserving comment until I get a chance to watch the newcomers. IMO, Cody wasn't going to be the be-all-end-all player to a deep run this year anyway, and I'm psyched to see what the Nucks development engine can do with a beast like Kassian.

And one last observation: Gragnani shoots LEFT. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I do know that BUF got a beauty, and I wish CoHo well on our expansion cousins. God knows those fuckers need help over there.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I'm shocked and not happy at all to see Cody leaving. He's already proven himself a capable NHL'r and has scored some incredibly timely goals. He has great one ice vision and surprised me this year with his lethal shot. I really think he's a surefire top 6 centre and will likely develop into a first line centre. Just my thoughts.

My hunch is that he is the best player in this deal in which case I am not happy with the deal. I never like to surrender the best player for depth. At the same time however I am not familiar at all with the Buffalo players so I suppose only time will tell how this trade pans out. It's incredibly bold of Gillis to trade his key prospect so he must really see something in these players.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i'll let you know how i feel about this trade on June 16th...
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfuU_bay0kE Sestito vs Kassian

Takes a punch and delivers one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5OiM2k ... re=related Sestito vs Lucic
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

If Pierre Maguire, one of the biggest Hodgson fans alive, likes the trade, then I'm good with it.

I think people are seriously over-estimating how Hodgson will fare on a far, far worse team. He's a 25-goal player here, but what is he on the Sabres? Not playing behind Ross trophy/Hart trophy/Selke winners? Not taking away from his upside, but he isn't there yet, and going to a team like Buffalo will set his development back.

So what are the bottom 6 now? Sedin-Sedin-Burrows, Booth-Kesler-Higgins, Raymond-Pahlsson-Kassian/Lappy, Hansen-Malhotra-Kassian/Lappy?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Kassian go down for a few weeks once Bitz is healthy.

WRT the 2nd PP unit, remember last year (when it was the best in the league) Manny was the 2nd PP center. Since the 1st unit isn't exactly firing on all cylinders I wouldn't be surprised to see Kesler move back, possibly replaced by Kassian?

That's a damn-formidable 4th line now, I gotta think Kesler's PK time is going down drastically with Pahlsson, and I'm very curious about the impact on his game.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

btw Bitz was sent down.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

So, does anyone think that Gillis would have drafted Kyle Beach instead of Hodgson in a 2008 redraft?

Considering Beach's serious shoulder injury this season, and that Kassian is a year younger, clearly Kassian >> Beach at this point, anyway.

Just curious if anyone else thinks that Gillis may have re-thought the 2008 drfat.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I gotta think Kesler's PK time is going down drastically with Pahlsson, and I'm very curious about the impact on his game.
Excellent point if AV can keep Kesler fresher during the play-offs it would be a big plus...and less chance to get injured
Just curious if anyone else thinks that Gillis may have re-thought the 2008 drfat.
Could be IMO MG has realized you can't rely on the rule book in the play-offs...the officials throw the book away. Hense many of his draft picks are trending towards bigger players
Last edited by Fred on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:
I gotta think Kesler's PK time is going down drastically with Pahlsson, and I'm very curious about the impact on his game.
Excellent point if AV can keep Kesler fresher during the play-offs it would be a big plus...and less chance to get injured
Also, Kesler will not have to block shots during the PK.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

ESQ wrote:If Pierre Maguire, one of the biggest Hodgson fans alive, likes the trade, then I'm good with it.
I think people are seriously over-estimating how Hodgson will fare on a far, far worse team. He's a 25-goal player here, but what is he on the Sabres? Not playing behind Ross trophy/Hart trophy/Selke winners? Not taking away from his upside, but he isn't there yet, and going to a team like Buffalo will set his development back.

The difference is instead of playing behind top six forwards here, he could be playing with top six forwards there (no offense to Hansen and Higgins). Some skilled linemates plus increased responsibility and icetime can't hurt at all.

The thing I will miss the most is Cody's ability and potential on the PP. He was already very good with the 40 seconds he got and aside from the decent numbers he put up, it was the poise, puck control, shot and vision I really notice..all what make for an excellent PP forward. While Booth, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, etc. are all decent in their own right, they lack the overall package Cody has. He was only going to get better and I fear there's now going to be a massive void on the 2nd unit. Not to mention the fact he seems to get up for and chip in big goals in big games.

So while it's great we may have strengthened some areas in preparation for the playoffs, we also weakened some pretty key areas as well.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I just don't know what to think right now. My thoughts are jumbled. Going from really questioning this move, to seeing where Gillis is coming from.

1. Gillis has proven himself to be one of the smartest and well prepared GM in the league. I have no clue what Kassian is about and where his potential lies, so I have to defer to success and assume he knows what he's doing. He also knows in what context Hodgson has been successful this year. He has played very selected minutes against bottom 6 forwards and 5/6 d-men. The games in which he played top 6 minutes, Hodgson had his worst games. As a top 6 forward, Hodgson and Kassian are equally unproven.

2. I felt the team's undoing vs Boston in the finals was not toughness, but injuries, travel and a red hot opponent in net. I then thought, after the January Boston game, Vancouver proved they were tough enough when the injuries weren't an issue. Gillis essentially said the same things all year. I don't know what to think now that he is admitting to needing bigger bodies. Does he think Kassian brings a bigger body to lessen the wear and tear, or is he really looking for toughness.

3. What's up with the "no comment" when Gillis was asked if Hodgson asked for trade. Hodgson did sound very surprised. By why no just say 'No' when asked? There seems to be something there.

4. Can Kassian play now and in the playoffs?

5. The wildcard, what can Gragnani do.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
ESQ wrote:If Pierre Maguire, one of the biggest Hodgson fans alive, likes the trade, then I'm good with it.

The difference is instead of playing behind top six forwards here, he could be playing with top six forwards there (no offense to Hansen and Higgins). Some skilled linemates plus increased responsibility and icetime can't hurt at all.

The thing I will miss the most is Cody's ability and potential on the PP. He was already very good with the 40 seconds he got and aside from the decent numbers he put up, it was the poise, puck control, shot and vision I really notice..all what make for an excellent PP forward. While Booth, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond, etc. are all decent in their own right, they lack the overall package Cody has. He was only going to get better and I fear there's now going to be a massive void on the 2nd unit. Not to mention the fact he seems to get up for and chip in big goals in big games.

So while it's great we may have strengthened some areas in preparation for the playoffs, we also weakened some pretty key areas as well.
Well, if the "slow regression" thread is true, powerplays will have less impact in these playoffs and your abilities to do the stuff the referees are no longer calling will be more important. That's where I assume Kassian is currently more valuable than Hodgson. That might be where Pahlsson becomes more valuable as well.