Canucks get Zack Kassian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Canucks get Zack Kassian

Post by Arachnid »

tantalum wrote:It's a moving around of assets. I guess they decided that Hodgson wasn't going to move to wing or force Kesler to the wing. The team is missing young wingers, especially ones with size and Kassian has big time size. He's NHL ready but RAW yet. However, he is a young guy that is likely not far behind Wiese or Bitz right now and has a far higher ceiling.

Gragnani is a 25 year old D-man that can likely play in that 6-8 slot and improve to a 4/5 guy.

It makes sense from the canucks perspective but damn it could blow up in Gillis' face in a hurry.
Our time is now (especially in light of the Bruins and Preds moves) not in 5 years time...and besides, we can get Nash for Schnieds July 1st 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Apparently Gragnani played for AV in the QMJHL
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

But we don't get much in the way of a return that helps right now. If Kassian isn't ready for Buffalo he sure as fuck isn't ready for the Canucks. And a bottom 6 D? Really?

Gillis gave Cody a chance to play somewhere he'll be valued and took a shit in Vigneault's hat while he was at it.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I'm not shocked by the idea of this trade. The idea makes sense.

I AM shocked that the deal happened now and not during the summer or something.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'm shocked.

This is one of those "bold moves" that could look ugly in a real hurry if Kassian doesn't pan out. Hodgson is a bona-fide NHLer and looks to be a lock to be at least a solid all around second liner.

I guess the argument is we do not have much size on the wings, and Kassian will bring that. Hodgson is a soft player, who isn't likely to bump Kesler as the second line centre and would have to move to wing. He has looked bad on the wing as he is too soft along the boards.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BOLD MOVE INDEED

Topper will be happy!!

Black Ace you beat me by 2 minutes because I waited to see who we gave up!

love Hodgson, LOVE Kassian.

Nice to see Gillis adding the physicality this season some of us were calling for.

KASSIAN, Booth, Bitz, Weise!

Didn't get our beast defenseman, but oh well....
Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Old Stick wrote:This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

But we don't get much in the way of a return that helps right now. If Kassian isn't ready for Buffalo he sure as fuck isn't ready for the Canucks. And a bottom 6 D? Really?

Gillis gave Cody a chance to play somewhere he'll be valued and took a shit in Vigneault's hat while he was at it.
How so? He just gave him a top 6 and maybe a top 4 D man FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani is the wild card...he develops in the next few years with Tanev and Edler and we won't miss Sammy when he says adieu....
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm a bit confused about the timing of this trade.

ASON TEAM GP G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG S S%

Zack Kassian

2011-2012 SABRES 27 3 4 7 -1 20 0 0 0 36 8.3

Coho

2011-2012 CANUCKS 63 16 17 33 8 8 5 0 2 103 15.5

Why are we trading for Kassian right now and not in the summer?
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Strangelove wrote:
I'll let you break the Andrew Gordan for Sebastion Erixon trade.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:I'm shocked.

This is one of those "bold moves" that could look ugly in a real hurry if Kassian doesn't pan out. Hodgson is a bona-fide NHLer and looks to be a lock to be at least a solid all around second liner.

I guess the argument is we do not have much size on the wings, and Kassian will bring that. Hodgson is a soft player, who isn't likely to bump Kesler as the second line centre and would have to move to wing. He has looked bad on the wing as he is too soft along the boards.
Again, it's not about Kassian/Hodgson straight up....if it were, we lost already...no argument....Gragnani is and will be a good young NHL defence man...do you know how hard that is to say? Then say this...no more Rome'n in the the wrong corner...no more Albert'a bound'n to the penalty box.....
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote: Why are we trading for Kassian right now and not in the summer?
Maybe because the scouting staff has been watching him play rather than reading NHL.com stats pages?

==

Anyone wanting the real breakdown of this trade should go to Calpuke.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Arachnid wrote:
Old Stick wrote:This is great for Cody. He'll get way more ice time in Buffalo and probably won't have to deal with a coach that doesn't have much respect for him.

How so? He just gave him a top 6 and maybe a top 4 D man FrancoFuckingPhone Gragnani is the wild card...he develops in the next few years with Tanev and Edler and we won't miss Sammy when he says adieu....

Clearly Gillis thinks Kassian will help now. Might be a better fit here with lots of veterans to help out in the bottom 6. I dont think he is a top6 guy but if you put him with Booth and Kesler who knows. If his skating is good enough he could provide something that line hasnt had but I would think he is bottom 6 to start.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

black ace wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
I'll let you break the Andrew Gordan for Sebastion Erixon trade.
:cry:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I agree - what a bad timing for this trade.

Also it will be interesting to see how this pans out in a few years.

I think the immediate results are a downgrading from the team as we see today.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Gragnani 7 points in 7 playoff games...highest +/- (10) on the Sabres (not an easy feat this year)...he is here to stay, cheaper and to help us in the post season, Kassian was brought in to bitchslap Chara around 8-)