GDT: Feb. 26... Canucks at Stars. (12pm PDT... SNET-Pacific

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

CC Veteran

GDT: Feb. 26... Canucks at Stars. (12pm PDT... SNET-Pacific

Post by Sticky »

FROM CANUCKS.COM...

CANUCKS (40-16-6) at STARS (32-26-4)

TV: SNET-Pacific (HD), FS-Southwest

Last 10: Vancouver 8-1-1; Dallas 5-3-2.

Season Series: These teams have yet to square off this season and, subsequently, will meet four times over the next five weeks, beginning with Sunday's game in Dallas. Vancouver swept the season series in 2010-11 -- outscoring the Stars 20-5 in the four contests -- and has claimed the last six meetings overall.

Big Story: Sunday's matinee at the American Airlines Center is a potential preview of a first-round playoff matchup. Both teams were victorious on Friday, propelling the Canucks to the top spot of the NHL standings with 86 points and sending Dallas into the eighth and final postseason spot in the Western Conference with 68 points. Both clubs are playing very well, as Vancouver is 12-1-3 in its last 16, while the Stars are aiming for their first four-game winning streak in nearly four months.  

Team Scope:

Canucks: The Canucks certainly needed a day off after exhausting back-to-back wins in the midst of their six-game road trip, on which they are currently 3-1-0. On Thursday, the Canucks ended Detroit's NHL-record 23-game home win streak with a 4-3 shootout victory, then edged the streaking Devils 2-1 on Friday, despite being outshot 31-16. Roberto Luongo was in goal for the monumental win against the Red Wings, while Cory Schneider stole the show in New Jersey. Schneider has won a career-high seven consecutive starts, including six on the road, as he stopped 10 shots in the final period to secure Vancouver's League-leading 22nd road victory.

"That's the reason you have two goalies and two goalies you can trust," said Schneider, who is 14-5-0 with a 2.19 goals-against average on the season. "For me, I know the rest of team is tired, but I'm fresh. I might have that extra jump in a game like this for our guys so it's a situation I take a lot of pride in and want to be the difference-maker."

Perhaps the excitement from ending a historic streak in Hockeytown erased any fatigue for the Canucks, as they still managed to take a 2-0 lead by the early stages of the second period on goals by Aaron Rome and Mason Raymond.

"We got in late last night [at 3 a.m. ET from Detroit] and played another great game," said Raymond, who tallied his seventh of the season and his first in 11 games. "It's great to see [Schneider] play well and get the win that moves us up at the top of the standings -- that's a place that feels pretty good."

Stars: Following two outstanding wins at Montreal and Chicago, the Stars returned to the Lone-Star State on Friday and began a three-game homestand with a 4-1 victory over Minnesota, becoming just the 10th NHL franchise to record 1,500 regular-season wins. Loui Eriksson notched his 20th goal of the season (which was the game-winner), Tom Wandell scored twice and Kari Lehtonen stopped 28 shots for the Stars, who are 4-1-1 in their last six outings.

"We've been talking about that for a month now, wanting to get some wins put together and now we're finally doing it," said Lehtonen, who has allowed just one goal in 60 shots in winning his last two starts. "It’s just an interesting time of the year, with every game so important and we're having fun, so hopefully, we can keep it going."

In the process of beating the Wild for the 16th straight time at home, the Stars also ended an 11-game losing streak in the second half of back-to-back games. Dallas had been 0-9-2 before Friday's win, becoming the last NHL team to record a victory in that situation.

Who's Hot: Henrik and Daniel Sedin were held off the scoresheet last game, but they each have eight points in their last five games. … Mike Ribeiro has two goals and six assists during a six-game point streak for Dallas.

Injury Report: TSN's Bob McKenzie reports that the Canucks have put defenseman Keith Ballard (concussion) on long-term injured reserve, which saves them $4.2 million against the salary cap and therefore frees up space to perhaps make a big acquisition at the trade deadline. Besides Ballard, forward Andrew Ebbett (collarbone surgery) remains sidelined. … Stars forward Jamie Benn hasn't played since Feb. 16 because of a lacerated left leg and is unlikely to play Sunday. Rookie defenseman Philip Larsen took a slap shot to the face early in the third period of Friday’s win and did not return. He suffered a cut on his head, but is probable to play against Vancouver. Forwards Jake Dowell (broken finger) and Brenden Morrow (neck/back) are on IR. 

Stat Pack: The Canucks, who have tallied an NHL-best 67 first-period goals, are 34-6-1 when scoring first this season. … According to the Stars' official web site, they are 5-0-1 against Canadian teams this season.

Puck Drop: The Stars (19-0-1) and Canucks (26-0-0) both have not lost a game in regulation this season when leading after two periods.

My psychic sense tells me that the Canucks come out slow in this one, get down a goal by the end of two, then charge back
back to tie it late in the game. OT solves nothing, and the Canucks win a shoot out.

It's déjà vu all over again.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Feb. 26... Canucks at Stars. (12pm PDT... SNET-Paci

Post by Jovorock »

I think this will be a good one. I hope ex Rocket Jaime Benn has a good game, but not too good!

4-2 Canucks.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Jovorock wrote:I think this will be a good one. I hope ex Rocket Jaime Benn has a good game, but not too good!

4-2 Canucks.
Benn is out with a lacerated leg
cheers
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Will Ott take it easy on his potential teammates?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Had to steal this from Eddy on HFboards
AV: "Word has come down from above that under no circumstances is any one to hit or engage in a fight with Steve Ott... especially you Mason".
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uh... we should trade Ott for that Raymond kid...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

officials gave that 2 points to dallas..
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I know it doesn't really matter but this game just pissed me off tremendously. The Stars were dead and then were the recipients of a brutal icing call which resulted in the tying goal. They were full value in OT, don't get me wrong, but there never should have been one. Full marks to Ribeiro on the tying goal though. It was a fantastic tip.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bad icing call aside the Canucks let Dallas back in it. They had their chances on the PP and came up totally empty on their chances. Yes, it was a bad icing call but they still had the chance to win the face-off which they failed to do. Very good effort by Dallas to tie it up and they absolutely owned the OT. First time all year we have lost when leading after two so it was bound to happen sooner or later. 7 out of a possible 10 points so far not this trip, not too shabby.

Great out come for Calgary. They get to see Vancouver blow a two goal lead and lose, they must be really happy with that one :D Or maybe they think Vancouver tanked because they are afraid to face Calgary in the playoffs?

Off to Phoenix and hopefully we come out with a little more inspired effort and bury some chances.

Ott didn't show me much today as to why I'd want to give up too much for him but with the injury to Weiss and the on again off again status of Bitz...
The only HW the Canucks need
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the Dogsalmon wrote:officials gave that 2 points to dallas..

You wonder if they realize what an ass they make of themselves (linesmen) with those call. Just makes you shake your head. To be honest I've long wondered if there's a new understanding of the rule. Some times the puck goes right between a guy legs and they still call it icing other times players meander all over the ice and still it's called icing. I just don't understand it.

Weise injured ?? any thing broken
cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fred wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:officials gave that 2 points to dallas..

You wonder if they realize what an ass they make of themselves (linesmen) with those call. Just makes you shake your head. To be honest I've long wondered if there's a new understanding of the rule. Some times the puck goes right between a guy legs and they still call it icing other times players meander all over the ice and still it's called icing. I just don't understand it.

Weise injured ?? any thing broken

Took a puck off the hand/wrist, returned to the bench to finish the 2nd but did not return for the third. No word yet on his status.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Full marks to Dallas for that win.

They were pressing hard in the 3rd and rang one clean off the post.

Can't win em all. We did it to Detroit and Dallas did to us.

TBH, I don't give a fuck about Dallas. We got a point, we're now 2 ahead of Detroit and we're in position to win our 2nd President's Trophy in a row.

Raymond with a 2 goal game streak. Not bad. (albeit, both goals were whiffs by the goalie). Raymond works hard and it's nice to see him getting on the scoresheet.

Good win by the Stars but I really hoped the Nucks were going to hold on.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Took a puck off the hand/wrist, returned to the bench to finish the 2nd but did not return for the third. No word yet on his status.
Alain V said after xrays there was nothing broken ... but he couldn't hold his stick.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Canucks will be glad to have this trip over. Played a good road game for 2 periods and ran out of gas. Managed to get a point, again.
Canucks PP especially the first unit needs to start getting some shots to the net instead of killing the penalty by playing keep away!!!
Poor call on the icing that led to the tying goal but the refs let a lot go in this one.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

This one felt like a bit of a shaft... But it all evens out... Right?

Bright light for me was Kesler playing with a little more control... Maybe the beast is on his way back?

Have to admit... I kinda had iso-cam mentality for this one...
I watched Raymond very closely tonight... Because I've been generally very unimpressed with and critical of his play.
A few others on here have defended his play, causing me to question my criticism. The point that I really wanted to think about was raised by Larry G. In the NJ GDT...

"I'll again note one of the most progressive, smart and successful management teams in the league continue to use Raymond. That must say something about him. He's not doing much offensively, so they must love his defense enough to overlook the struggles on offence."

in today's game, 
-Raymond's line iced the puck three times (2 of them committed by Raymond)
- Raymond was on the ice for 4 defensive zone face offs... Only 1 of which was not the result of his line icing the puck
- he received :15 of pk time on the third shift of the Rome penalty, and no pk time on the Higgins penalty,
- only engaged in 3 puck battles all game, and did not win one until OT, during a very good shift(also the only time in the game that he went to the net)
-not on ice for d zone face off after Higgins penalty in favor of Kesler, Higgins, Hansen ... even though that line had only had :30 of rest after trying to kill the Higgins penalty. 
 - once at end of first, and then once again on his second shift in the second period, he is back on the bench for a defensive zone faceoff after a 0:10 shift and a 0:25 shift respectively.

Overall, Raymond's game tonight showed us one very nice defensive play in OT, and one good defensive effort on Fiddler with about 4:30 gone in third. Obviously, it's nice for him to get another goal, and although that one was a bit of a laugher, he was noticeably more active at both ends of the ice after that.
Maybe he just needs a little more confidence to hit his stride, but right now, it doesn't look to me like one of the "most progressive, smart and successful management teams in the league" is too confident in his defensive game (based on the amount of defensive zone starts and PK time they gave him.
They need him to be an offensive threat again, and I'm hoping like hell that we're seeing him starting to fire on all of his cylinders over the last couple of games.
I must admit that I recognized a great use for Raymond's speed that IS being utilized by AV, is changing on the fly... Around 2/3 of his shifts began that way.