GDT 2/23 - Canucks @ Wings - 4:30 - SNet - NHLN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: GDT 2/23 - Canucks @ Wings - 4:30 - SNet - NHLN

Post by Lancer »

Thank FUCK!!!

Kes gets another point at the Joe.

It's not over yet... :D
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

We're getting better at the SO... right?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Cornuck wrote:We're getting better at the SO... right?
Yuuuuuup
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Now we can stop hearing about the damned streak.

Missed the 1st, but a good game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Lui with another terrific game, then goes 3 for 3 in the SO whilst stopping Bertuzzi...again. :o

Burr with the clincher.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Too bad Booth couldn't have scored for the hometown crowd.

Why nobody tips Howard to Burrows' signature move. He pulls it out just about every time and just about every time, he scores on it. You think people will learn. Hope they never do. ;)

Nice to see the guys pull it out in the end and yeah, now the eastern media can stop their Red Wing phallic suction contest about the home winning streak.

On to Jersey, boys! Try not to get rolled strolling around the arena.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote:Now we can stop hearing about the damned streak.

Missed the 1st, but a good game.
Umm..sort of I guess.have not lost in regulation in.....add number.....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I thought we owned the first two periods but then got running around in the third. Salo looks hurt. Watch him closely. He is having a hard time turning a certain way and his stop to start is rather slow. Looks like the lower body injury thingy called groin.

I did not think we would pull it out after we let them go ahead again 20 seconds after we tied it. Gutsy performance and a great SO win. I could have done without the arrogant whoop whoops at the end though, it was only a regular season game. I get that these guys are human and have human emotions and the big games they get up for and celebrate but a little too theatrical at the end.

Rome Tanev together suck. We need Ballard back or a deadline day pick up. Hodgson needs more ice time. Perhaps tomorrow on the back to back the lines will balance out more. Looked like AV was riding two lines most of the night then switched Kesler and Hodgson for some reason. I'd put Higgins back on the second line and drop Raymond down. He plays well with Hodgson. Higgins compliments Booth and Kesler while Raymond is more of the same.

A good win even if it was in OT. We gain a point on Detroit with a game in hand so here is hoping we can steal one in NJ.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

That was as entertaining a game as the matchup against the Bruin's last month. From the drop of the puck the Canucks wanted that one more, and I think Luongo's reaction after the shootout said it all. That was the best two teams in hockey right now going head-to-head, and they didn't disappoint.

The Sedins were awesome. They controlled the play and the Red Wing's chased them almost all night, if not for a couple of bounces and a couple of good saves by Howard the Sedins walk away with 4 points. Burrows was great, and he just doesn't get enough credit for his own game, most people point to the Sedin's making Burrows the player he is now, but the Sedins weren't chasing and winning scoring titles until they got Alex Burrows on their RW.

Hodgson had one of his better games in a while. He broke up the play a few times in the Vancouver end, made some good reads and plays along the defensive boards, and then was just brilliant in the offensive zone with the puck. His goal was amazing, a lucky bounce, and I'm pretty sure he was trying to hit either Raymond or Booth, but the way he controlled the puck under pressure and then got that pass off was just smart hockey. A bit later he threaded a pass through a seam back to the point that resulted in a great look for the point man on the far side of the zone, I'm not sure how many times I have seen that lane open up (usually more than that) for a pass but the forward with the puck doesn't use it and instead ties the puck back up with a dump to the corner.

Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Lap, Hansen, and Booth were all great work horses out there. The Canuck's forecheck was awesome tonight. Malhotra won some key draws and Weise played his role well.

On the blueline Edler was our best defenseman. He was physical and responsible with the puck.

Hamhuis, Salo, and Tanev had good games but didn't really standout. Although, Tanev was full marks and the more noticable of the three with some good play under pressure against a very talented Red Wing's team. If he wasn't a rookie call-up his game would have been above average, but in light of his situation it was very good.

That was the best second period I have seen the Canucks play in a long time.

Now for the bad.....

Bieksa was horrid tonight. Bone-headed plays with the puck that resulted in several odd man rushes, one that ended up in the back of our net. He made some bad passes and bad reads. Probably the worst game I've seen from him in a while, and to be fair, it was because he was trying to do to much. We know he can elevate his play for the big games, but usually that means we see smarter reads away from the puck on offense, and some great, physical, snarly, work in the defensive zone. Tonight he just wanted to help his team a bit too badly.

Rome was worse. The Wing's second and third goals were partially the result of him being out of position and not staying home defensively. Quincey's goal saw Tanev taking his man in front of Luongo while Rome was off in the corner and coming back to the front of the net way too late. The third goal was much the same, when a scrum ensues like that one, you would expect that your two defensemen are the guys in front of the goalie battling and trying to tie up the attackers, instead Rome was still 15-20 feet away from the net when that puck crossed the line. I'm not even sure why Vigneault puts him out there for the shift immediately after we tie the game and steal some momentum. I realize that he is a #6 guy on any other team, and shouldn't be more than #7 on ours, but having him out there with Tanev is just bad news. You can't have your worst defenseman out there with a young, relatively inexperienced, guy like Tanev. The stats show him an even 0, and credit Bieksa and Hamhuis as being on the ice when Abdelkader scored, but I know I saw Rome cruising through the crease after that goal. With only 15 minutes of ice-time, Rome manages to be on the ice for two goals. Sums it up.

I saved the best for last.....

Burrows. I know I mentioned him before, but what a game. Great on the PK, great work on the forecheck, great puck control tonight working with his linemates to keep the Wing's chasing. But above all, he is Vancouver's Mr. Clutch. He always scores that big goal. Tonight it was in the shootout, and if it wasn't enough that he scored the goal that killed the Red Wing's home-ice winning streak, I absolutely loved that the puck stuck behind the crossbar and didn't drop to the ice. There was just a poetic finality to it. Go-to move, over the glove, "Hey Detroit, your streak is over.....just look at the back of your net, the puck is still there." Then he caps it with the "stick break" over the knee. Beautiful.

Note on the Red Wing's streak: I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take anything away from Detroit's home-ice performance, but is it really fair to call that an NHL record when there have been a few games that have been won in a shootout? Afterall, before the inception of that ridiculous gimmick, any team that was tied after OT was credited with a tie and a winning streak was broken.....
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

I can understand what you're saying about SO wins but that is the current NHL and a streak is a streak. As a Vancouver fan, I know what it means to struggle with SOs so it's no less a feat. Prior to this game, wasn't Howard 5-0 in SOs? I think I heard that in the broadcast. Quite an amazing stat. although, with the quality of the Red Wings shooters, maybe it's understandable.

Good gutsy win. I hope the Sedins can bring that kind of success into the playoffs.

Sounded like lots of Vancouver fans at the game tonight. Where did they come from? Windsor?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^Obviously, who else is Windsor gonna cheer for. :P

Great post Mëds.

Lemme just add, I thought Luongo was great again tonight. His play since November has been well documented, but I thought I'd just dole out some props for his significantly increased play in the SO this season. In past, he rarely showed any real confidence in the 'circus time'. But it seems there are two key issues he's worked on this season that have cursed him in past:
1) the shoot out and
2) his propensity for the short side softies.

It just goes to show that if you continue to work on the finer points of your game, it doesn't matter what age you are, there's always room for improvement.

This I find very encouraging.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Nice one Mëds.

I was busy working and wasn't able to pay full attention to the game.

I'm starting to feel pretty good about Luo. I think Ginger's fundamentals are better but Luo's our man. 100%. No more belly flopping, his lateral movement is getting better and he's tracking the puck very well. Plus, due to all the practice, his shootout skills have vastly improved. Roly must have done some serious work with him.

Mason Raymond has vastly improved his game. He is the Canucks best puck possession player as he can outskate the majority of opposing defensemen and he handles the puck quite well at high speed. I'm torn about whether we should retain him or not. The Canuck game is puck possession and Mason Raymond is that. However, the playoffs is ultimately a battle of attrition and Mason Raymond is NOT that.

David Booth is going to play a very big role in our playoff run. The guy is an absolutely force out there and gives opponents fits along the boards. Sooner or later, he's going to put in all of those breakaways.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Mëds wrote:That was as entertaining a game as the matchup against the Bruin's last month. From the drop of the puck the Canucks wanted that one more, and I think Luongo's reaction after the shootout said it all. That was the best two teams in hockey right now going head-to-head, and they didn't disappoint.

The Sedins were awesome. They controlled the play and the Red Wing's chased them almost all night, if not for a couple of bounces and a couple of good saves by Howard the Sedins walk away with 4 points. Burrows was great, and he just doesn't get enough credit for his own game, most people point to the Sedin's making Burrows the player he is now, but the Sedins weren't chasing and winning scoring titles until they got Alex Burrows on their RW.

Hodgson had one of his better games in a while. He broke up the play a few times in the Vancouver end, made some good reads and plays along the defensive boards, and then was just brilliant in the offensive zone with the puck. His goal was amazing, a lucky bounce, and I'm pretty sure he was trying to hit either Raymond or Booth, but the way he controlled the puck under pressure and then got that pass off was just smart hockey. A bit later he threaded a pass through a seam back to the point that resulted in a great look for the point man on the far side of the zone, I'm not sure how many times I have seen that lane open up (usually more than that) for a pass but the forward with the puck doesn't use it and instead ties the puck back up with a dump to the corner.

Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Lap, Hansen, and Booth were all great work horses out there. The Canuck's forecheck was awesome tonight. Malhotra won some key draws and Weise played his role well.

On the blueline Edler was our best defenseman. He was physical and responsible with the puck.

Hamhuis, Salo, and Tanev had good games but didn't really standout. Although, Tanev was full marks and the more noticable of the three with some good play under pressure against a very talented Red Wing's team. If he wasn't a rookie call-up his game would have been above average, but in light of his situation it was very good.

That was the best second period I have seen the Canucks play in a long time.

Now for the bad.....

Bieksa was horrid tonight. Bone-headed plays with the puck that resulted in several odd man rushes, one that ended up in the back of our net. He made some bad passes and bad reads. Probably the worst game I've seen from him in a while, and to be fair, it was because he was trying to do to much. We know he can elevate his play for the big games, but usually that means we see smarter reads away from the puck on offense, and some great, physical, snarly, work in the defensive zone. Tonight he just wanted to help his team a bit too badly.

Rome was worse. The Wing's second and third goals were partially the result of him being out of position and not staying home defensively. Quincey's goal saw Tanev taking his man in front of Luongo while Rome was off in the corner and coming back to the front of the net way too late. The third goal was much the same, when a scrum ensues like that one, you would expect that your two defensemen are the guys in front of the goalie battling and trying to tie up the attackers, instead Rome was still 15-20 feet away from the net when that puck crossed the line. I'm not even sure why Vigneault puts him out there for the shift immediately after we tie the game and steal some momentum. I realize that he is a #6 guy on any other team, and shouldn't be more than #7 on ours, but having him out there with Tanev is just bad news. You can't have your worst defenseman out there with a young, relatively inexperienced, guy like Tanev. The stats show him an even 0, and credit Bieksa and Hamhuis as being on the ice when Abdelkader scored, but I know I saw Rome cruising through the crease after that goal. With only 15 minutes of ice-time, Rome manages to be on the ice for two goals. Sums it up.

I saved the best for last.....

Burrows. I know I mentioned him before, but what a game. Great on the PK, great work on the forecheck, great puck control tonight working with his linemates to keep the Wing's chasing. But above all, he is Vancouver's Mr. Clutch. He always scores that big goal. Tonight it was in the shootout, and if it wasn't enough that he scored the goal that killed the Red Wing's home-ice winning streak, I absolutely loved that the puck stuck behind the crossbar and didn't drop to the ice. There was just a poetic finality to it. Go-to move, over the glove, "Hey Detroit, your streak is over.....just look at the back of your net, the puck is still there." Then he caps it with the "stick break" over the knee. Beautiful.

Note on the Red Wing's streak: I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take anything away from Detroit's home-ice performance, but is it really fair to call that an NHL record when there have been a few games that have been won in a shootout? Afterall, before the inception of that ridiculous gimmick, any team that was tied after OT was credited with a tie and a winning streak was broken.....
Nice post. Agreed all the way through....
I thought Raymond was noticeable enough to fit into the overall game notes tonight as well.

Worst player on the ice tonight. Bieksa and Rome were indeed scary at times... But I felt embarrassment for Raymond tonight. He looks like a softer, less effective version of Kyle Wellwood of late.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I was going to mention both Raymond and Luongo, but didn't. I forgot about Louie, who was absolutely Howard's equal tonight, and Raymond, while skating hard and bringing speed, is not bringing anything else. He is back to poor shot selection and playing soft, the only reason he is noticed at all is because he races up the ice and passes 4 other players chasing the puck. I don't feel like elaborating on his play or picking him apart, I harped enough on Rome. Gotta give the other guys a break. :P
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:Rome Tanev together suck. We need Ballard back or a deadline day pick up.
After Ballard's been bashed so much here it seems strange to be wishing him back. :mrgreen:

Just goes to show that solid defencemen don't come cheap or easy.

It would have been nice to get Gill ot maybe Kubina but I guess GMMG thought the price (2nd + 4th or 2nd + prospect) was too high
Hockey Widow wrote: I thought we owned the first two periods but then got running around in the third. Salo looks hurt. Watch him closely. He is having a hard time turning a certain way and his stop to start is rather slow. Looks like the lower body injury thingy called groin.
Now that the playoffs are pretty much guaranteed, I wonder if AV will rest Salo for some games and give Alberts & Sulzer some practice before the playoffs. Could be scary. :?