GDT: Feb 21 - Canucks @ Predators (17:00 PST on SNET-P)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

GDT: Feb 21 - Canucks @ Predators (17:00 PST on SNET-P)

Post by Meds »

Someone had to start this one...

I won't be surprised to see the Canucks take this one at half-speed tonight. Biding their time and keeping it a tight, close-checking game until the final half of the third period. Chances are good they are going to be trying to save something in the tank for Detroit on Thursday.

Sedin's are rolling right now and this team often picks Nashville apart, don't ask me how, but the very group that has shown a proclivity for making backups and bottom thirty goaltenders look all-world has found a way to chase one of the best goaltenders in the league in their last few meetings.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Feb 21 - Canucks @ Predators (17:00 PST on SNET-P)

Post by mathonwy »

Kesler really likes to play against the Preds. He's killing them singlehandedly.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Canucks controlled majority of the period.

Rinne got lucky at times and just doesn't look comfortable.

Luo was solid as a rock. He's having a very good game.

Raymond's really improved his puck control. He reminds me of a thin Kyle Wellwood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I liked the intermission on the radio.....

"They might be able to get a couple pucks by Rinne if they keep at it."

I guess missed the last couple of games between these two teams.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

What 2nd period let down?

:?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Damn it... that would have been nice.

After two games of shitty goaltending, I'm not used to seeing Canucks getting stoned by a good goaltender.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rinne has been good, no doubt about it, but the Canucks have fanned on multiple attempts that were gimme's in front of the net. I'd really like to know how Luongo fails to read the exact same play that Rinne read ten minutes earlier. That SH goal by Nashville was stoppable, Rinne made a similar save on Burrows earlier, the difference was that Rinne came across the crease on his knee with his body upright. Lou lunged across doing the belly flop move while swinging wildly with his glove.....sure, it would have looked way flashier, but who cares, just stop the puck.

Just to be clear though, I do know that that goal is on Salo. I also know that this game is more on the team who haven't been able to finish a thing tonight.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bring on detroit..:.. :roll:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Wings , rangers & canucks all lose tonight.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Lou kept them in this one, and Rinne was obviously good and a bit fortunate.

Salo was chasing on all 3 goals, so not a great night for him.

I guess they had to lose in regulation eventually after dodging the bullet for so many games.

Preds will be a concern in the playoffs (for anyone, not just the Canucks).
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

One of their better games this year but they just had no punch on their offence. Raymond alone could have had a couple and Booth was close. The PP looked good as far as puck control went but didn't really generate any chances. Rinne was as solid as he had to be. Luongo kept us in it with some great saves but also let in a couple I am sure he would love back.

Too bad we lost because we could have tied Detroit but thems the breaks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

Okay...

so...

...this effort in Nashville tonight is a good sign, right?

Heading into Detroit the Canucks were breathing a sigh of relief that Datsuyk wasn't going to be available on Thursday and that got them thinking ahead of themselves. Right?

The Sedins, Burrows and Kesler were tired after those two exhausting games against those power house leaves and Oilers. Right?

I don't actually think there's a team in the league that can play with the Canucks, the healthy Canucks, on a game by game basis.

Seriously.

But these guys are fuckin' lazy and complacent.

If this doesn't get turned around soon, by which I don't mean next month, a solid opponent will take them out of the playoffs in the first round.

You read it here first.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Old Stick wrote:Okay...

so...

...this effort in Nashville tonight is a good sign, right?

Heading into Detroit the Canucks were breathing a sigh of relief that Datsuyk wasn't going to be available on Thursday and that got them thinking ahead of themselves. Right?

The Sedins, Burrows and Kesler were tired after those two exhausting games against those power house leaves and Oilers. Right?

I don't actually think there's a team in the league that can play with the Canucks, the healthy Canucks, on a game by game basis.

Seriously.

But these guys are fuckin' lazy and complacent.

If this doesn't get turned around soon, by which I don't mean next month, a solid opponent will take them out of the playoffs in the first round.

You read it here first.
I am not sure what you have been watching lately. If the Canucks were lazy in this game, they must be sleeping in the last few weeks. With a bit of luck, they could be easily up 2-0 in the first period. The game would have been so different if they were up 2-0 eh? You can't win them all and the Preds are no slouch.
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

It's cumulative Jovocop.

They play like somnambulists for several weeks even though they win most of the time, then along come a couple of senior AHL squads and they wake up and look like world beaters then they fall back into their comatose state as soon as a team capable of playing them hard shows up.

Which is the reverse of what we got used to over the past several years. They'd play good teams hard, win or lose, then fall apart against the also rans.

You think they've got a switch? I don't. I think they're in grave danger of falling into a pattern they won't be able to break out of when they need to in just over a month.

And with a bit of luck I could be 6 foot 3.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Old Stick wrote:It's cumulative Jovocop.

They play like somnambulists for several weeks even though they win most of the time, then along come a couple of senior AHL squads and they wake up and look like world beaters then they fall back into their comatose state as soon as a team capable of playing them hard shows up.

Which is the reverse of what we got used to over the past several years. They'd play good teams hard, win or lose, then fall apart against the also rans.

You think they've got a switch? I don't. I think they're in grave danger of falling into a pattern they won't be able to break out of when they need to in just over a month.

And with a bit of luck I could be 6 foot 3.
Like I said, they cannot win them all. They outchanced the Preds in the first period but could not score. If the Canucks scored first, the Preds would have to open up the game. Unfortunately, the Preds scored first and they just tightened up their defense. To me, the games against the leaves and the Oilers mean nothing because they are bottom feeders. I like the efforts they displayed last night. In a seven game series, I am sure they could "expose" Rinne and their defense; however, it would be a tight series because of the Preds' playing style.