Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by damonberryman »

As the team has become more "successful", expectations have naturally risen. But expectations, especially from the MSM (which fuels those of the fans), are rarely met in professional sports. There are just too many random factors that will influence the "success" of a team. We are so lucky as fans to have this team to cheer for. Let's enjoy it while we can and resist judging "success" or "failure" in such extreme terms.[/quote]
Enter :roll:
I got to agree here. I was watching the Leaf show in Van and thinking how solid Canucks look but also how much timing and luck it takes to win it all. If this and if that had of happened we would coulda shoulda shit. IF we stay healthy we got as much of a shot as anyone in the NHL and more than most. I still intend to enjoy the ride becasue I have never had a team to cheer for in Van that is this consistent and good over such a long time. It came together for the Bruins last year. Our wheels fell off due to coulda woulda shoulda shit. Still enjoy having a winning team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:I don't agree much with Tony Skeletor Gallagher but I agree with his concerns regarding the Sedins play over the last while. If these two are starting their downward trending now, we are in trouble.
LOL Sedins with 11 points in the 4 periods since Dude posted this. :D

Henrik and Daniel 4th and 7th in NHL scoring....

Moral of story: Don't ever listen to Gollumgher!

I still hear 'Sweet Georgia Brown' when they're on the ice...
____
Try to focus on someday.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

I think it was Ben Kuzma on the team 1040 who said it best. He said he was talking to the Toronto media in town and they couldnt believe how much negativity there was surrounding a team going as well as the Canucks are. He said the local media really seems to track down negative stats or possible stories and run with them.

Of course if a member of the media from another city says anything even remotely negative its the same media that rallies behind the team and defends them.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I don't agree much with Tony Skeletor Gallagher but I agree with his concerns regarding the Sedins play over the last while. If these two are starting their downward trending now, we are in trouble.
LOL Sedins with 11 points in the 4 periods since Dude posted this. :D

Henrik and Daniel 4th and 7th in NHL scoring....

Moral of story: Don't ever listen to Gollumgher!

I still hear 'Sweet Georgia Brown' when they're on the ice...
Yeah they're sweet no doubt. But what the Gallagher thought, as stupid as it was, it did make me think about our limited window. Long term versus short term thinking and what happens when the day does come how are the Canucks prepared for life after the Sedins. They're here for how much longer at the level we currently see.

Right now we have

Hodgson
Jensen
Tanev
Schroeder
Schneider ?
All genuine prospects but no star quality...as we see it today, then

Connauton
Rodin
Polasek
Lack
Corrado
McNally
Price

Makes me stop and think
cheers
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

When would a player 'downtrending' ever be a good thing?

I await your "maybe the NHL has figured them out" spiel.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fucking hilarious listenting to B-Mac and asshat on the drive home today giggling and laughing while they each entertained the listening audience with their Paul Morris imitations. Someone has to nip these retards in the bud.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fucking hilarious listenting to B-Mac and asshat on the drive home today giggling and laughing while they each entertained the listening audience with their Paul Morris imitations. Someone has to nip these retards in the bud.
You got that right. They spend quite a lot of their time entertaining each other ......can't understand why their customers continue with their services. B-Mac is trying hard to lessen his lectures on baseball but hey the pre season has only just started.

I'm guessing they're there because there is no other all day sports radio to steal theiur customers
cheers
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Didn't hear them on the day mentioned (March 1st), however, have heard them do this same routine before.

I wonder if they understand the difference between people laughing with them, versus at them.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Fucking hilarious listenting to B-Mac and asshat on the drive home today giggling and laughing while they each entertained the listening audience with their Paul Morris imitations. Someone has to nip these retards in the bud.
Fred wrote: You got that right. They spend quite a lot of their time entertaining each other ......can't understand why their customers continue with their services. B-Mac is trying hard to lessen his lectures on baseball but hey the pre season has only just started.

I'm guessing they're there because there is no other all day sports radio to steal theiur customers
Do you really expect/want anything more from these two?

Apparently the ratings for this time slot since BMac took Pratt's spot have been as good as they have ever been.

Let's get one thing very clear - neither of these guys are very intelligent hockey minds...nor are they well researched on their topics. I hold certain posters opinions on this board MUCH higher than I do BMac and/or Taylor (and/or any other regular host on 1040 for that matter).

With that said, I actually prefer that they f*ck around for 90% of the show instead of attempting to talk intelligently about hockey, which for me is simply not palatable.

Take the show for what it is: a couple of sports dudes more-or-less shootin' the shit. If you listen to the show looking for intelligent, thought provoking, and factually correct hockey talk you are looking in the wrong place.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

FRom Canuck Army, I came acros this after my own post
CHEERS to Vancouver broadcaster Dave Pratt for returning to the airwaves in short order. News broke last night that Pratt will join CKNW, likely starting Monday, joining the morning team as sports host to start. The speculation is that Pratt will host an afternoon drive-time sports talk show once Neil Macrae leaves CKNW. Macrae has already indicated that he plans to retire once his contract expires. Now, I gave Pratt a TON a grief during his last few months at Team1040, because he diverted so badly from sports on a daily basis that the show became unbearable. Fast forward to today and witness the complete debacle that we now hear with BMac and Taylor. The old-fart nostalgic gigglefest makes for terrible radio but their ratings remains high because they have NO competition. Well, well, well. How many of YOU folks will listen to Dave Pratt over the unbearable and incessant impressions of Paul Morris? Count me in. Knowing what I know now, when Pratt goes on his tangential ramblings on the Mayor and bike lanes and Phoenix and Bettman, I'll take that HANDS DOWN over two old men giggling about bullshit nonsense for 4 hours.
cheers
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Fred wrote:FRom Canuck Army, I came acros this after my own post
CHEERS to Vancouver broadcaster Dave Pratt for returning to the airwaves in short order. News broke last night that Pratt will join CKNW, likely starting Monday, joining the morning team as sports host to start. The speculation is that Pratt will host an afternoon drive-time sports talk show once Neil Macrae leaves CKNW. Macrae has already indicated that he plans to retire once his contract expires. Now, I gave Pratt a TON a grief during his last few months at Team1040, because he diverted so badly from sports on a daily basis that the show became unbearable. Fast forward to today and witness the complete debacle that we now hear with BMac and Taylor. The old-fart nostalgic gigglefest makes for terrible radio but their ratings remains high because they have NO competition. Well, well, well. How many of YOU folks will listen to Dave Pratt over the unbearable and incessant impressions of Paul Morris? Count me in. Knowing what I know now, when Pratt goes on his tangential ramblings on the Mayor and bike lanes and Phoenix and Bettman, I'll take that HANDS DOWN over two old men giggling about bullshit nonsense for 4 hours.
Being from the Okanagan I dont get to listen to much of the Vancouver sports media broadcasts. I did however listen to Bill Goodes interview this morning with Pratt.
What I found interesting was the first caller bringing up Pratts plagiarism controversy of a few years ago. The caller obviously lied to the producer about what subject he was going to bring up and Goode called him on it saying all the caller had to do was tell the truth and he still would of got on the air.

I say The plagiarism topic is old news .Leave it alone already. Pratt should bring some welcome competition to Team 1040 and as time goes on maybe finally replace Dan Russell .
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

okcanuck wrote:
Fred wrote:FRom Canuck Army, I came acros this after my own post
Being from the Okanagan I dont get to listen to much of the Vancouver sports media broadcasts. I did however listen to Bill Goodes interview this morning with Pratt.
What I found interesting was the first caller bringing up Pratts plagiarism controversy of a few years ago. The caller obviously lied to the producer about what subject he was going to bring up and Goode called him on it saying all the caller had to do was tell the truth and he still would of got on the air.

I say The plagiarism topic is old news .Leave it alone already. Pratt should bring some welcome competition to Team 1040 and as time goes on maybe finally replace Dan Russell .
The Plagiarism Issue is to David Pratt what the Moore Incident is to Todd Bertuzzi. It won't go away. And nor should it.

Like it or not, it's a defining moment in a career. You can't cross that line in the profession that Pratt is in and not expect it to dog you for the rest of your days. It's a cardinal rule (with the public, at least, maybe not behind closed doors of journalists - another story) that has permanent repurcussions if violated. Period.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

KeyserSoze wrote:
With that said, I actually prefer that they f*ck around for 90% of the show instead of attempting to talk intelligently about hockey, which for me is simply not palatable.

Take the show for what it is: a couple of sports dudes more-or-less shootin' the shit. If you listen to the show looking for intelligent, thought provoking, and factually correct hockey talk you are looking in the wrong place.
If they were mildly amusing it would ok, but they aren't.

I am not looking for serious, intelligent conversation from anyone in this town that makes his living on the airwaves talking sports.

If you fashion yourself as a comedian, at least be funny. I do like TDM on their show however.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I say The plagiarism topic is old news .Leave it alone already. Pratt should bring some welcome competition to Team 1040 and as time goes on maybe finally replace Dan Russell .[/quote]

The Plagiarism Issue is to David Pratt what the Moore Incident is to Todd Bertuzzi. It won't go away. And nor should it.

Like it or not, it's a defining moment in a career. You can't cross that line in the profession that Pratt is in and not expect it to dog you for the rest of your days. It's a cardinal rule (with the public, at least, maybe not behind closed doors of journalists - another story) that has permanent repurcussions if violated. Period.[/quote

i,ve never read the said article so I cant really comment on it ,but I do know whoever that first caller was this morning is a complete hypocrite having lied to the producer.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

This sums up B-Mac and Co
The old-fart nostalgic gigglefest makes for terrible radio but their ratings remains high because they have NO competition.
They were at it again today, I mean they giggle like 5 year olds. Who in the Hell is their boss ?
cheers