GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

Post by Island Nucklehead »

t_lind wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
t_lind wrote:Is Kesler even playing tonight?
Are the Sedins?
They are at least generating chances.

Kesler is not.
Their line isn't producing. The Kesler line is.

The Sedins will certainly work their way out of this funk. But they have not been playing well lately. The "problem" with the Sedins is that when two point/game players that have to play together go cold, your team suffers. A big reason we've seen 372 straight post-regulation games is their combined cold streaks.

We'll be fine, but they need to play better.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Come on OT, always nice to piss off Calpuke.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Goal.
Hansen has been picking it up this game. Still needs to be more physical, but getting better.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

FFS Raymond, stay on your goddamned feet.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

BladesofSteel wrote:FFS Raymond, stay on your goddamned feet.
Raymond, where offense goes to die...

Goddamn that guy is needy with the puck. When is AV going to give him the "use your linemates better" speech?
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

There's icing on this cake game. Two points and Higgins was solid.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Still nothing out of the Sedins, but the trio did generate 13 shots. They're close.

Yet another game sans power play... O for 32 seconds tonight.

Aves put up an impressive battle, but Vancouver manufactures another 2 points.

Raymond is just such an ineffective player in just about every capacity.

Oh, and has the goaltending not been outstanding these past 3 months?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

BladesofSteel wrote:Still nothing out of the Sedins, but the trio did generate 13 shots. They're close.

Yet another game sans power play... O for 32 seconds tonight.

Aves put up an impressive battle, but Vancouver manufactures another 2 points.

Raymond is just such an ineffective player in just about every capacity.

Oh, and has the goaltending not been outstanding these past 3 months?
The Canucks aren't doing much to deserve a PP.

Vancouver could (and did) glide through this one.

Raymond isnt going to be a 60-point guy. I do, however, think he's better than what he's shown this season. I'm not saying his injury is holding him back, but he's a typical "tweener" that doesn't seem to have the finish for a top-6 job, nor the moxie for the bottom-6 role. I think Gillis recognizes the speed and combinations Raymond can bring in a depth role. Having him on the third line is a bonus, and his salary certainly isn't hurting us. We don't have a bruiser or a physical player on the farm to take his roster spot. Pissing him away for nothing makes zero sense. At this point, he's our best option.

Goalies have been fantastic. Maybe the Canucks have decided to play mediocre hockey to get their goalies ready for the playoffs? :lol: No? Only reason we haven't been .500 over the past 7 weeks (like the Bruins) is our goaltending.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Canucks are just bored with regular season play. Not a good recipe heading into the last part of the season but I think they just put everything into winning the President's Trophy last season that this season they don't want to. The excitement is gone. I mean I think they know how nice it is and how important seeding can be but I think they are just more down to earth this season. Last season every game seemed huge to track down the Flyers for top spot and we also had to play for a lot longer to wrap up the Division. I think this year they are just more whatever about it. Maybe it is just finding that right gear and managing intensity levels. I suspect that as the season draws down and when we play opponents that matter we will ramp up the intensity.

As a fan I sense a big change in my attitude this year. In the past, some years more than others, it was always a hope we could win, or feeling if things went our way or we got a bounce or two we could win. This year I expect to win every game. I expect them to hold every lead they get. I don't feel the excitement that I did last season. I expect to in a month or two but right now its just like we are going through the motions. Last year was a thrill finishing first overall and getting to game 7 but this year it just doesn't have the same feel to it yet. I suspect the players to some extent feel that too.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

What a game to go to.

First game to go to this season and I go to this one. Wow.

So entertaining and I almost got into a fight with a old guy in my section. All in all, a good night.

So to the game,

The Rome and Alberts pairing FAILS MISERABLY. Wow. What a fucking gong show when those two guys are passing the puck between the two. Seriously. They had an incredibly bad shift in the first and two more before AV split them up. AV has much more patience than I do. Good thing I'm not the coach. :D

The refs really put away their whistles tonight and not in the Nucks favour. Burr got mugged and then held, Rome got punched in the back of his head and no calls. Absolutely brutal. And they got in the way of the Nucks as well. Twice I remember they screwing up the Nucks play. No good.

Aside from Rome and Alberts, everyone had a really good night. Higgins was his awesome chase-the-puck-down-like-a-rabid-dog self again. Hansen forecheck was really effective. Incredible faceoff and subsequent pass to Hansen by numero nine. Bieksa was really feeling it tonight and Edler was a fucking monster.

Edler had an awesome night. He was putting the body on every Av player he could see and did a very good job keeping the puck in. Both him and Salo very solid nights.

All in all, a very good game and we were full marks for this win. Varlamov didn't make it easy but we did it... and in regulation.

Loverly.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

From this game and several before I see some consistencies that highlight needs for this team to be effective in the playoffs.

Raymond and Rome both need to be replaced. Both highly ineffective and/or hurting the team (even when not scored on) with turnovers and stupid plays.

If GMMG can pull of a miracle and get us a guy like Aucoin and a two-way winger who isn't going to hangout on the boards as replacements for Rome and Raymond, then he needs to do it.

Goaltending in Vancouver is all world right now. Luongo is turning it on and buying his team a top seed finish, and we have seen for nearly two years now that Schneider is ready to step in when called upon and turn in game winning performances.

Top 4 defense is fine, we know they can all elevate their game come the playoffs. Ballard is a good fit in the 5th spot (better than anyone else in the NHL on a bottom pair) and if Gillis can get some insurance like Aucoin then we are looking very deep through 6 defensemen. Alberts and Tanev in the 7 and 8 spots is actually very nice to have, few teams could boast better than that in their press box.

Sedins will play their way out of this funk, but until they are willing to carry the puck to the net when they are in one-on-one and simplify things a bit they are going to be ineffective once the post-season rolls around. In all honesty, Burrows is carrying that line right now.

4th line is gritty enough, for now, but I wouldn't mind seeing a tougher look in games against teams like San Jose and Chicago before the end of the year.....just to see what it brings to the mix when teams that generally like to rough up our top players have to look over their own shoulders when they try it for a change.

Question for all.....

If we were to face Boston in the finals again, what would you rather see for the 4th line...

Malhotra-Lapierre-Bitz
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise
Weise-Lapierre-Bitz
Weise-Malhotra-Bitz
Duco-Lapiere-Bitz
Duco-Malhotra-Bitz
Duco-Malhotra-Weise
?

I'm telling you right now that should we end up facing the Bruins I want Manny out in favour of Lap at center, and Bitz in regardless. Weise and Duco are a toss-up right now. Malhotra is simply not going to be effective against a team like Boston in the post-season.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote:
If we were to face Boston in the finals again, what would you rather see for the 4th line...

Malhotra-Lapierre-Bitz
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise
Weise-Lapierre-Bitz
Weise-Malhotra-Bitz
Duco-Lapiere-Bitz
Duco-Malhotra-Bitz
Duco-Malhotra-Weise
?

I'm telling you right now that should we end up facing the Bruins I want Manny out in favour of Lap at center, and Bitz in regardless. Weise and Duco are a toss-up right now. Malhotra is simply not going to be effective against a team like Boston in the post-season.
If we are to face the Bruins in the finals, it will matter more how healthy our top-9 is vs. our bottom 3. However Bitz does look good.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks are just bored with regular season play. Not a good recipe heading into the last part of the season but I think they just put everything into winning the President's Trophy last season that this season they don't want to. The excitement is gone. I mean I think they know how nice it is and how important seeding can be but I think they are just more down to earth this season. Last season every game seemed huge to track down the Flyers for top spot and we also had to play for a lot longer to wrap up the Division. I think this year they are just more whatever about it. Maybe it is just finding that right gear and managing intensity levels. I suspect that as the season draws down and when we play opponents that matter we will ramp up the intensity.

As a fan I sense a big change in my attitude this year. In the past, some years more than others, it was always a hope we could win, or feeling if things went our way or we got a bounce or two we could win. This year I expect to win every game. I expect them to hold every lead they get. I don't feel the excitement that I did last season. I expect to in a month or two but right now its just like we are going through the motions. Last year was a thrill finishing first overall and getting to game 7 but this year it just doesn't have the same feel to it yet. I suspect the players to some extent feel that too.
This post by the Widow gets a big thumbs up from me. Well put. We are a better team than last year and if we played with the same urgency this year we would be at the top of the NHL and probably by a bit. I am relieved they are playing as if they are holding back. They clearly learned a lesson last time and it may prove to be the difference. Lou was talking after the game about how the other team is playing urgent and desperate I believe is the word used. We do not need to do that and if we skate into the playoffs healthy we will be a handful for anyone.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

IF....IF they play the Bruins PLEASE have Duco in to wipe Marchands sneer off his face. Neither big men and Marchand obviously would not dance with Weise...neither would Weise ask
cheers
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Fred wrote: IF they play the Bruins PLEASE have Duco in to wipe Marchands sneer off his face.
No need for Duco. Ballard could mop the ice with Marchand. He just needs the opportunity, without interference from Marchand's protector - Chara.