GDT - Feb 13, 2012 Coyotes at Vancouver 7PM S-net Pacific

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Feb 13, 2012 Coyotes at Vancouver 7PM S-net Pacifi

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RD I have to hand it to you, I kept looking in here to read what you have to say! At least you keep everyone interested and you stand by your opinions even when you have a little egg on your face.
If you need air...call it in
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Damn David Booth and his hands of stone. That shootout goal of his was sick though!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:Yes, we expect Booth to get lucky like that every night. I think he was as surprised as I was that he scored that shootout goal, sort of like "how did that happen?" Hey, we get lucky every once in a blue moon.
Lucky?? That was a pretty good move there, RD. On the other hand, I guess Raymond has not been lucky in a while, eh?
RoyalDude wrote: Don't get all hard for Booth now people, he will never find that tool box that has eluded him his whole hockey life to store those tools in. He's still a dumb blonde with low hockey intellect and terrible puck handling ability in tight spaces and the king at turning over puck possession to the other team, terrible defensively and the worst passer on the planet.
I get it. That is the reason why you hate Booth.
RoyalDude wrote: That goal he scored in Calgary was actually a fanned shot that luckily found its way to the net. He's been lucky the last two games, again lose the hard on people, he's a bum at those dollars. Hell, even Jeff Tambellini looked great at times, just like Bill Muckalt, Steve Kariya and the Ryan Shannons of the world. This is the group I lump Booth in, that sort of "shit, if they could only play like that all the time".
Do me a favor, RD, just give your head a shake! :lol:
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Uncle dans leg wrote:RD I have to hand it to you, I kept looking in here to read what you have to say! At least you keep everyone interested and you stand by your opinions even when you have a little egg on your face.
Lol...

Some more egg for the Dude.

-On Hodgson... "I really have my doubts that he will mount to much, at best a 3rd liner."

-"Never mind Tyler Myers, now I'm starting to wish we drafted Jake Gardiner instead of CoHo."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Let's not get too carried away with Booths goal last night, it was a lucky bounce of Larson and then he went around Larson who is a bit of a light weight in his own end. He wouldn't make that move in the play-offs. But he did show a lot of skill in the SO and I thought apart from every thing else played a good game, but the goal 50% luck

I was pleased with the fore check we got tonight, some heavy hits
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Fred wrote:Let's not get too carried away with Booths goal last night, it was a lucky bounce of Larson and then he went around Larson who is a bit of a light weight in his own end. He wouldn't make that move in the play-offs. But he did show a lot of skill in the SO and I thought apart from every thing else played a good game, but the goal 50% luck
Booth went around Yandle in the offensive zone to score, not Ekman-Larsson.

The lucky bounce is irrelevant, it's Booth's ability and willingness to cut to the net, and despite what some geniuses like to say, Booth actually has decent hands, as evinced by his back-hand-forehand move and tucking the puck in far side....not to mention his shootout move.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Fred wrote:Let's not get too carried away with Booths goal last night, it was a lucky bounce of Larson and then he went around Larson who is a bit of a light weight in his own end. He wouldn't make that move in the play-offs. But he did show a lot of skill in the SO and I thought apart from every thing else played a good game, but the goal 50% luck

I was pleased with the fore check we got tonight, some heavy hits
Fred, it was the NHL All-Star, Keith Yandle. The luck has to do with how Booth got the puck in the first place but nothing to do with how he finished the play. Ask yourself a question, would Raymond do the same thing that Booth did last night to score a goal?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BladesofSteel wrote:Raymond Sucks.
:drink:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RD wants a guy who is fast, can stick handle his way through anything at top speed, can stick handle at a stand still to give himself room, can hit like a freight train, can pick corners with a lightning quick release, can pass the puck with the best and doesn't bust the bank....he wants Alex Ovechkin for a $3 mil a year salary.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:RD wants a guy who is fast, can stick handle his way through anything at top speed, can stick handle at a stand still to give himself room, can hit like a freight train, can pick corners with a lightning quick release, can pass the puck with the best and doesn't bust the bank....he wants Alex Ovechkin for a $3 mil a year salary.
As for the defense, RD wants a guy who is big, strong, smart, can fight the toughest guy in the league, can shoot the puck hard and accurate and does not bust the bank... RD wants Weber for less than $3 mil a year. :lol:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I can and wont speak for RD...however what he brings to us provokes thought ..Does it not??? provokes deep thought and in a lot of cases he has points..good points.. he has been wrong he has been right...we are better for having his comments..

weber for 3mill...lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

A very close checking game by both teams. The Canucks top 4 were very tight in their own end and did a good job keeping the Yote's to the outside and then eliminating rebounds and tying up sticks. Brain farts by them were generally safe ones with pucks going to he outside and not up the middle.

Luongo was excellent last night, again. He challenged at very good times and was never out of position on a shot. The one that beat him was a fluke and as much the fault of the forwards and defenseman in front of him as it was him not tracking the play perfectly in that split second. It is what it is and we got the deuce in the shootout. As much as I'd love the SO for Lou there, I will be happy with giving Phoenix a point to stay ahead of Calgary and make the Flames' lives that much more difficult.

Booth was our best forward last night. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to pick apart a guy for their own petty reasons. He battled hard, he went to the corners, the boards, and the net. He even broke up a few plays along the wall in the defensive end. His passing is still not what we would hope for in a 2nd line player, but he does play his role of a net crashing power-forward quite well. His move around Yandle? Well that was awesome, he went in fast, didn't slow down, and finished hard to the net with a power move that sealed the defenseman inside and protected the puck. Lucky bounce? Maybe, but every player that goes to the net like that is often the recipient of a lucky bounce due in as much part to effort and skill as to luck. Great game and great shootout goal.

Kesler was probably next on the list for forwards and helped seal the deal in the shootout. Not much more to say there as he is generally one of our best guys up front.

Bieksa had some snarl back last night, particularly at the end of OT. Anyone lip reading out there? I sure caught the words "next game" and "promise" in his exchange with Hanzal.

Bitz and Duco had pretty poor games so far as penalties and puck control went, but they definitely add some much needed sandpaper to this lineup. Bitz seems to be coming down off of his debut high, but still is a nasty customer who is going to help in the playoffs when attitudes need to be adjusted. Average game for both of them.

Alberts was fairly invisible out there, especially when compared to how noticable he was the previous game against Calgary. Not a bad thing, he didn't make many mistakes, and I have actually liked what he has brought to the team lately. It seems that he is playing within his limitations and keeping it simple. He doesn't try to carry the puck when she shouldn't, he makes the easy pass, the safe play, stays home when he should, and is physical along the boards and in front of the net. Not turning heads, but not making mistakes. Solid game for a number 5/6 blueliner. Can't say the same for his partner.....

Rome was abysmal. His first shift of the game? Terrible. The first time he touches the puck he makes a pass across the middle of the high slot in the Vancouver end.....turnover. The same shift he gets the puck behind Luongo and elects to carry it up this time, result? He holds on and tries to make a no-look pass at the blueline but is checked by the oncoming Coyote forechecker.....turnover at the blueline with no help behind him. Good thing the puck was bouncing and skittered away to the boards and Alberts and a forward recovered back to our end quickly. Even with that Vigneault still gives Little AV more TOI than his partner Alberts. Unreal. Taven is/would be such an upgrade over this neanderthal who things the name on his back is spelled O-R-R.

Raymond didn't do much last night. His perimeter game is getting old fast. When on a line with Hodgson and Hansen he needs to go to the net from the wing quickly off the rush. Until he starts using his speed away from the puck to burn coverage he is only going to be useful as a back-checking winger who gets middle-of-the-road PK time.

I'm not even sure the Sedins played last night. If not for all the pre-game talk about Hank's iron man streak I'm pretty sure I would have thought they were a pair of healthy scratches. I really hope they are simply picking their battles and going hard only when needed. I'll touch on that again in a bit.....

Overall the team played a responsible game and, for the most part, eliminated mistakes that would have let the Coyotes jump up on the attack and transition quickly. The few times they gaffed, they recovered and held Phoenix at bay. A team like ours should be eating a team like Phoenix for lunch, but to be fair, it seems that whenever Labarbera gets the nod against the Canucks he turns in an all-star performance. I'm guessing he's still sore about not being offered a backup job here when he badly wanted to play in Vancouver. The team does seem to have turned a corner defensively and showed responsible and good positional coverage. That being said, what happened to our third period dominance? It seems to have evaporated, but I'm not so sure.

Last year and the one previous, this team owned the third period and no team wanted to face the Canucks in the final frame without at least a 2 goal cushion, and often that wasn't even enough. This year however we have seen something different. I'm noticing a trend in our games of late that gives me pause, but so far not the kind that causes concern. If we are tied or down a goal, our third period starts off much the same as the second period ended, there is no panic and no huge push to attack. Simply pick our battles, limit the other team's chances, and keep it contained. If this is acheived the push doesn't start until the last half of the period at which point the opponent is usually under seige and chasing the Canucks around their own end. If the Canucks tie it up quickly they take their foot off and seem content to hope for a mistake and capitalize or get to OT, earn the single, and then try and steal the extra point. I see two benefits to this, one it gets them in an OT, sudden death mindset and hones that do-or-die clutch and poise which is crucial for playoff hockey, but in the regular season no spirit breaking because we are 3rd overall and still getting the single point. The other benefit is when the game goes to the shootout. Believe it or not, Luongo is actually winning shootouts of late. He is working on that part of his game and has been good. He's improved his overall career record and is only 3 games away from being an even .500. All this does is build confidence in a department in which the guy has had none since the inception of this gimmick after the lockout. He is actually stealing wins for his team, and in the games we have lost in the shootout he has been full marks for the single point the team has earned as the Canucks have had no business being in a tie game at that point. I don't actually think the strategy is to get into the shootout, but I do think the strategy is to play it safe and conservative, and only press when it is necessary. I don't think there is another team in the league that has played the kind of hockey that the Canucks have this year and still be within easy striking distance of the President's Trophy. Again, this is partly wishful thinking, but it's how I'm looking at it right now with my Orca-coloured shades.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote: Bieksa had some snarl back last night, particularly at the end of OT. Anyone lip reading out there? I sure caught the words "next game" and "promise" in his exchange with Hanzal.
I believe that it was Klesla. He was lucky to be saved by the linesman.
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Mëds wrote:A very close checking game by both teams. The Canucks top 4 were very tight in their own end and did a good job keeping the Yote's to the outside and then eliminating rebounds and tying up sticks. Brain farts by them were generally safe ones with pucks going to he outside and not up the middle.

Luongo was excellent last night, again. He challenged at very good times and was never out of position on a shot. The one that beat him was a fluke and as much the fault of the forwards and defenseman in front of him as it was him not tracking the play perfectly in that split second. It is what it is and we got the deuce in the shootout. As much as I'd love the SO for Lou there, I will be happy with giving Phoenix a point to stay ahead of Calgary and make the Flames' lives that much more difficult.

Booth was our best forward last night. Anyone who says otherwise is just trying to pick apart a guy for their own petty reasons. He battled hard, he went to the corners, the boards, and the net. He even broke up a few plays along the wall in the defensive end. His passing is still not what we would hope for in a 2nd line player, but he does play his role of a net crashing power-forward quite well. His move around Yandle? Well that was awesome, he went in fast, didn't slow down, and finished hard to the net with a power move that sealed the defenseman inside and protected the puck. Lucky bounce? Maybe, but every player that goes to the net like that is often the recipient of a lucky bounce due in as much part to effort and skill as to luck. Great game and great shootout goal.

Kesler was probably next on the list for forwards and helped seal the deal in the shootout. Not much more to say there as he is generally one of our best guys up front.

Bieksa had some snarl back last night, particularly at the end of OT. Anyone lip reading out there? I sure caught the words "next game" and "promise" in his exchange with Hanzal.

Bitz and Duco had pretty poor games so far as penalties and puck control went, but they definitely add some much needed sandpaper to this lineup. Bitz seems to be coming down off of his debut high, but still is a nasty customer who is going to help in the playoffs when attitudes need to be adjusted. Average game for both of them.

Alberts was fairly invisible out there, especially when compared to how noticable he was the previous game against Calgary. Not a bad thing, he didn't make many mistakes, and I have actually liked what he has brought to the team lately. It seems that he is playing within his limitations and keeping it simple. He doesn't try to carry the puck when she shouldn't, he makes the easy pass, the safe play, stays home when he should, and is physical along the boards and in front of the net. Not turning heads, but not making mistakes. Solid game for a number 5/6 blueliner. Can't say the same for his partner.....

Rome was abysmal. His first shift of the game? Terrible. The first time he touches the puck he makes a pass across the middle of the high slot in the Vancouver end.....turnover. The same shift he gets the puck behind Luongo and elects to carry it up this time, result? He holds on and tries to make a no-look pass at the blueline but is checked by the oncoming Coyote forechecker.....turnover at the blueline with no help behind him. Good thing the puck was bouncing and skittered away to the boards and Alberts and a forward recovered back to our end quickly. Even with that Vigneault still gives Little AV more TOI than his partner Alberts. Unreal. Taven is/would be such an upgrade over this neanderthal who things the name on his back is spelled O-R-R.

Raymond didn't do much last night. His perimeter game is getting old fast. When on a line with Hodgson and Hansen he needs to go to the net from the wing quickly off the rush. Until he starts using his speed away from the puck to burn coverage he is only going to be useful as a back-checking winger who gets middle-of-the-road PK time.

I'm not even sure the Sedins played last night. If not for all the pre-game talk about Hank's iron man streak I'm pretty sure I would have thought they were a pair of healthy scratches. I really hope they are simply picking their battles and going hard only when needed. I'll touch on that again in a bit.....

Overall the team played a responsible game and, for the most part, eliminated mistakes that would have let the Coyotes jump up on the attack and transition quickly. The few times they gaffed, they recovered and held Phoenix at bay. A team like ours should be eating a team like Phoenix for lunch, but to be fair, it seems that whenever Labarbera gets the nod against the Canucks he turns in an all-star performance. I'm guessing he's still sore about not being offered a backup job here when he badly wanted to play in Vancouver. The team does seem to have turned a corner defensively and showed responsible and good positional coverage. That being said, what happened to our third period dominance? It seems to have evaporated, but I'm not so sure.

Last year and the one previous, this team owned the third period and no team wanted to face the Canucks in the final frame without at least a 2 goal cushion, and often that wasn't even enough. This year however we have seen something different. I'm noticing a trend in our games of late that gives me pause, but so far not the kind that causes concern. If we are tied or down a goal, our third period starts off much the same as the second period ended, there is no panic and no huge push to attack. Simply pick our battles, limit the other team's chances, and keep it contained. If this is acheived the push doesn't start until the last half of the period at which point the opponent is usually under seige and chasing the Canucks around their own end. If the Canucks tie it up quickly they take their foot off and seem content to hope for a mistake and capitalize or get to OT, earn the single, and then try and steal the extra point. I see two benefits to this, one it gets them in an OT, sudden death mindset and hones that do-or-die clutch and poise which is crucial for playoff hockey, but in the regular season no spirit breaking because we are 3rd overall and still getting the single point. The other benefit is when the game goes to the shootout. Believe it or not, Luongo is actually winning shootouts of late. He is working on that part of his game and has been good. He's improved his overall career record and is only 3 games away from being an even .500. All this does is build confidence in a department in which the guy has had none since the inception of this gimmick after the lockout. He is actually stealing wins for his team, and in the games we have lost in the shootout he has been full marks for the single point the team has earned as the Canucks have had no business being in a tie game at that point. I don't actually think the strategy is to get into the shootout, but I do think the strategy is to play it safe and conservative, and only press when it is necessary. I don't think there is another team in the league that has played the kind of hockey that the Canucks have this year and still be within easy striking distance of the President's Trophy. Again, this is partly wishful thinking, but it's how I'm looking at it right now with my Orca-coloured shades.
Very nice post game sum up Mëds. Very much agreed.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Overtime wrote:
Mëds wrote:A very close checking game by both teams. The Canucks top 4 were very tight in their own end and did a good job keeping the Yote's to the outside and then eliminating rebounds and tying up sticks. Brain farts by them were generally safe ones with pucks going to he outside and not up the middle.

Very nice post game sum up Mëds. Very much agreed.

I agree too.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”