GDT - Feb 7, 2012 at Nashville 5PM SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

GDT - Feb 7, 2012 at Nashville 5PM SNET-P

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

CANUCKS (32-15-5) at PREDATORS (32-17-4)

TV: SNET-P (HD), FS-TN

Last 10: Vancouver 6-2-2; Nashville 8-2-0.

Season Series: This is the third of four meetings between these Western Conference rivals, who have split the first two matchups -- which were both in Vancouver. In the first encounter on Oct. 20, Daniel and Henrik Sedin combined for five points as the Canucks used a four-goal first period to chase Pekka Rinne and skate to a 5-1 blowout victory. Vancouver again scored five times in the second meeting on Dec. 1, but wound up on the losing side of a wild 6-5 game. Both starting goaltenders -- Cory Schneider for the Canucks and Rinne for the Predators -- were pulled as Schneider allowed three goals in the first period on just five shots and Rinne surrendered five tallies on 18 shots, including four goals in a span of 7:19 early in the second period. However, Anders Lindback stopped all 19 shots he faced in a perfect relief outing for the Preds, who put three pucks past Roberto Luongo to rally from a 5-3 deficit and notch a one-goal win.

Big Story: Two of the top five teams in the NHL square off with the hottest goalie in the League seeking redemption. Rinne has a chance to cure his ills against the Western Conference champions after they chased him twice earlier in the season. The 29-year-old Finn has won a franchise-record 11 straight decisions and 20 of his last 22. In the 11 consecutive victories, Rinne has posted a spectacular 1.55 goals-against average and has given up more than two goals only once. However, Rinne is just 2-6-0 with a 2.82 GAA in his last nine starts against Vancouver, including last season's second-round playoff defeat.

Anchored by their netminder's outstanding play, the Predators have won 14 of 17 to climb into the fourth spot in the West and into second place in the Central division behind the League-leading Detroit Red Wings. Meanwhile, the Canucks have won four of their previous five and have points in their last six. They are the second seed in the West and maintain a sizeable 11-point advantage over Minnesota for the top spot in the Northwest Division.

Team Scope:

Canucks: With a 3-2 shootout win at Colorado on Saturday, the Canucks have now gone past regulation in four straight games and in seven of their past nine. They were merely seconds away from a regulation loss though, until Kevin Bieksa's heroics at both ends of the ice. With 48 seconds remaining and the Canucks trailing 2-1, Bieksa made a diving save to prevent the Avalanche from scoring an empty-net goal and sealing the win. Then with 34.1 seconds left, he whistled a wrist shot over the right shoulder of a screened J.S. Giguere to tie the game. After a scoreless overtime, Mason Raymond scored the only goal of the tiebreaker to give Vancouver its third straight road victory and halt Colorado’s 10-game winning streak in shootouts dating back to last season. Luongo -- who denied all three shootout attempts -- made 44 saves and has faced at least 41 shots in three of his last five starts, going 3-0-2 with a 2.26 goals-against average in that span.

"Getting a win, that is the sole goal at the end of the night," said Ryan Kesler, who scored his 16th goal of the season early in the opening period. "Just find a way to win. Play your best game every night, and we haven’t been doing that. You can tell that by the shot totals and the chances against, but we keep finding ways to win. We have to simplify our game a little bit. Chip it in, work down low. We have to generate more offense, but the positive is that we keep getting points."

Predators: In a critical matchup Saturday between St. Louis and Nashville, Rinne out-dueled another hot goaltender in Jaroslav Halak to lift the Preds to a 3-1 win -- putting them one point ahead of the Blues in the fiercely competitive Central division. Rinne made 42 saves, improving his record to 4-0 against St. Louis this season and building Nashville's record to a remarkable 12-2-2 against divisional foes.

"The division is so hard, and we have to take all the points we can right now," said Martin Erat, who notched a goal and two assists. "It's a battle to the end because in the end, we always have to play against St. Louis, Detroit, and Chicago."

Midway through the final period, Rinne made an incredible save on defenseman Kris Russell to preserve a 2-1 lead at the time. After scrambling to the ice to stop an initial attempt by Russell, Rinne stretched far to his left to make a terrific pad save on a second shot by Russell just a few seconds later.

"There's not too many goaltenders in this League who would make that save," coach Barry Trotz said. "That's why I keep saying, 'He's the best one.'"

Who's Hot: Kesler has scored a goal in three straight contests and in four of his last five for the Canucks. … Mike Fisher, who tallied the game-winner against the Blues, has six goals in his last five games and also has points in six of his last seven. The Preds are 18-2-1 when Fisher records a point and 10-0-1 when he scores a goal.

Injury Report: Vancouver forward Chris Higgins (flu) has missed the last two games and is questionable to play Tuesday. Forwards Andrew Ebbett (collarbone surgery) and Aaron Volpatti (shoulder surgery) remain out for Vancouver. … Nashville is completely healthy.

Stat Pack: According to the Predators' official web site, Rinne's 11-game winning streak matches the longest single-season winning streak by an NHL goaltender over the last 13 years. Since the 1998-99 season, only four other goalies have recorded 11 straight wins in a single season: Patrick Roy (1998-99), Martin Brodeur (twice: 2000-01 and 2005-06), Martin Biron (2005-06) and Marc-Andre Fleury (2010-11).

Puck Drop: Tuesday's matchup features the top two power-play units in the League, with the tiniest of margins separating them. Vancouver leads the NHL with a conversion rate of 22.3 percent, while the Preds are right behind them at 22.2 percent.

Nashville is on fire! Better hope the defensive zone flubbing that has plagued the team the past few weeks has been addressed or the Preds will light us up. Surprised their power play percentage is .10 behind us for second place in the NHL.
All in all we're in for a very tough test tonight.
If you need air...call it in
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Feb 7, 2012 at Nashville 5PM SNET-P

Post by dhabums »

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

So Bitz is having a pretty good night.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Bitz....the power forward. Where the hell did that come from????

Nashville must HATE the Canucks! We make their all world goalie look pretty damn ordinary. We're like the 2009 hawks and they're the Canuck equivalent. Hope to see you in the playoffs!!!!
If you need air...call it in
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Cant go by just one period, but wouldn't it be
cool if Bitz keeps playing like this with Sedins? I would dare that little puke Bolland to try anything with Bitz out there.

That also frees up Burrows with Kesler . I love it.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Next goal Is a big one.......how cool is that for bitz..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Next goal Is huge......burrows -2
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

okcanuck wrote: I would dare that little puke Bolland to try anything with Bitz out there.

No shit our problems are solved.

Byron Bitz is already making me forget Cam Neely and forgiving Fat Quinn for drafting Shawn Antoski instead of Keith Tkachuk all in the same breath. Fuck life is good.

I doubt very many guys would try anthing with Bitz out there. :look:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The above post by blob taken with a rock quarry of salt..lofl
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Out of curiocity...what Is our penalty to powerplay numbers last few games...say 4 games.
No wonder the pp is struggling..we are never on it ffs
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
okcanuck wrote: I would dare that little puke Bolland to try anything with Bitz out there.

No shit our problems are solved.

Byron Bitz is already making me forget Cam Neely and forgiving Fat Quinn for drafting Shawn Antoski instead of Keith Tkachuk all in the same breath. Fuck life is good.

I doubt very many guys would try anthing with Bitz out there. :look:

I don't get it....

I figured you would love to add a tough bottom6 type that seems able to play.

Won a fight, made some hits, got some points, whats the problem?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

How bad does that look on Malhotra when he is beaten to a puck in our end by Wilson after having almost a full zone headstart. Then he falls in the corner and the puck ends up on a Predator's stick who is all alone and in a great shooting position. I don't care about his faceoff percentage, we could deal with winning a few less draws if it meant an upgrade in all around play.+

PP's 4-1 in favor of Nashville. In the 3rd period alone I've seen an easy 5 calls that could have been made against Nashville, and of those 3 of them should have been called. Officiating has been horrible. Is it because we went 1-for-1 to start that they figured the Preds needed the help? Absolute garbage.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

So far, the Preds are showing that they're a pretty good team. The first period was an anomaly, the bounces started working for them instead of against them the last two periods.

OT's gonna be interesting =)

I'm a huge fan of Salo but they pan-ed the camera on him after that defensive sprint; man, was he gassed. The paleness of his face reminded me of the game that he came back for right after the one where he took a slapshot right into the groin. He's a wise experience old man, but... the old man part just might be starting to catch up.

Wondering how much the line juggling is a sign of an impending trade?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

porp wrote:So far, the Preds are showing that they're a pretty good team. The first period was an anomaly, the bounces started working for them instead of against them the last two periods.

OT's gonna be interesting =)

I'm a huge fan of Salo but they pan-ed the camera on him after that defensive sprint; man, was he gassed. The paleness of his face reminded me of the game that he came back for right after the one where he took a slapshot right into the groin. He's a wise experience old man, but... the old man part just might be starting to catch up.

Wondering how much the line juggling is a sign of an impending trade?
Dude, Salo is white as a ghost even after a week at the beach. He might have been gassed, but that's not why he looked pale. If anything, when a guy is gassed his face is going to have MORE colour in it. :roll:
Last edited by Meds on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Bieksa and his brain farts are strong again this season - wow what is up with this guy.