From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Post by BladesofSteel »

BCExpat wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:A great trade thread started over at Calpuke. Most of the inbreds have sent the season slagging their players now go see what value they feel some are worth. A 1st and a prospect for Rene the renegade! But it looks like they are throwing in the towel, albeit late, but begrudgingly most seemed to have come to terms with the fact that their team sucks.
In all honesty, every Flames fan I know has come to that conclusion a long time ago. Everyone I talk to gave up on this group, a couple of years ago. Oh sure, it was nice to see them put up a bit of a run last season, but that didn't mean they were good. They are a mess right now, to say the least. Most of us Flames fans know this, and have come to terms with it. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. This is going to take years to straighten out, and that's assuming that management makes the right moves from here on in. It's a tall order, but that's were they sit. It's sad to say, but a lock out at this point, doesn't look all that bad.
What's your gut on the whole Iginla situation Expat? Do you really believe he'll finish his career there? Or at least complete his current contract with his Flames? Or do you feel there is a chance Feaster could try and move him at some point? I know Jerome is going to say all the right things, as he's one of the classiest guys the organization has ever had, but you have to think there's a part of him that doesn't want to miss out on a chance to contend while he's still near the top of his game.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well, I'm no expat but I remember last season a friend of mine, who golfs with Iggy from time to time, was speaking to him about this. Iggy said he wanted to finish his career with the Flames but if they asked him to move his NMC he would, for a team of his choice and a contender. Last season he felt that contender was the NYR. So he was willing to go to NY last year if asked but he wasn't asked. He himself said he would never asked to be traded to a contender just for a shot at the cup but he would consider a move if asked and if it helped the Flames moving forward.
The only HW the Canucks need
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

I guess if the right offer came along, Feaster would ask Iggy to waive his NMC. I could also see Iggy ending his career in Calgary. He was recently quoted as saying that he would like to play until he is 40. No one except Feaster and a few management staff in Calgary, really know what might happen. At this point, it could go either way.

Somehow I just have a gut feeling that he isn't going to garner the return required to trade him. It's more than just trading Iggy - it's a PR problem with fans. You have fans that are in both camps - trade him or keep him. If the Flames don't get a substantial return for him - it's not going to bode well with the fans (in both camps). It'll come down to a contender, who has a lot of cap space, and a deep prospect pool, who is willing to part with some substantial assets, to get Iggy. Somehow, I just don't see that happening. But, what do I know. 8-)
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
tantalum
CC Veteran

Post by tantalum »

To be honest I don't think it will be that easy to trade Iginla this year for a good return. He's not a pending UFA. He's a guy with another year on his contract at a big $7 mil cap hit. He's hard to deal to a team without the Flames taking back a bad contract. And bad contracts is part of the reason they are in the mess they are in.

Next season is when you can get a large return for him.

Of the two stars Kiprusoff is the one you can move. His cap hit is large but not unreasonable and that last year is salary wise is cheap. As well, his NMC clause ends at the end of this season. It's an easier thing to ask Kiprusoff if he wants to move before the summer.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

tantalum wrote:To be honest I don't think it will be that easy to trade Iginla this year for a good return. He's not a pending UFA. He's a guy with another year on his contract at a big $7 mil cap hit. He's hard to deal to a team without the Flames taking back a bad contract. And bad contracts is part of the reason they are in the mess they are in.

Next season is when you can get a large return for him.

Of the two stars Kiprusoff is the one you can move. His cap hit is large but not unreasonable and that last year is salary wise is cheap. As well, his NMC clause ends at the end of this season. It's an easier thing to ask Kiprusoff if he wants to move before the summer.
One thing that will screw up a trading a guy like Kipper at the trade deadline, is if the Flames are in contention for a playoff spot. I can see Feaster staying pat again this season, if they are in that position. After the long road trip, they now have a lot of home games, and can make another run for a playoff spot - thus delaying the inevitable for the time being. It's too bad if they miss another trade deadline opportunity, but will have lots of room to maneuver in the summer.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
tantalum
CC Veteran

Post by tantalum »

I assume Flames fans will be wanting to run Giordano out of town after last night. After all he got caught diving and all Bountiful has talked about for a year is how the Flames would never ever stoop to diving or embellishing and that they wouldn't want any player on the team that did so. I haven't watched many Flames games this year but that was the second diving penalty I've seen called on them.

10:03 CGY Mark Giordano : Diving - 2 min
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So Calgary is now on a roll. 7wins, 3 losses and 2 OTL since getting their lunch handed to them Jan 7th by Boston (9-0).
They've made some moves sending Bourque packing for Cammy, moved a few vets for youngsters and it seems to be working well. This Saturday the Canucks are heading into the Saddledome to play and if they don't have their work boots on I fear the lunch bucket Flames might be sneaking another one off of us. They work hard, support the puck well and clear rebounds away from Kipper quickly.
So, any thoughts on our new/old ancient division rival? Anyone think I'm over estimating the Flames? I'm stuck here in Flame country so I'm unfortunately forced into semi-following the progress of the team but I will say this about them...they work their asses off.
If you need air...call it in
wienerdog
AHL Prospect

Post by wienerdog »

Watched a bit of the Flames / Sharks game yesterday. Although SJ played a poor 1st period, the Flames looked full of hustle and tenacity. They are trying to elbow grease their way out of the hole.

I always dread über-hard-working teams.
mathonwy
CC Veteran

Post by mathonwy »

You gotta read this. It's fucking hilarious.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard- ... /131/42418
Knucklehead
AHL Prospect

Post by Knucklehead »

That was fucking beautiful, brought a tear to my eye.
coco_canuck
CC Rookie

Post by coco_canuck »

I love how Jay Feaster woke up from last season's turkey coma and warned of changes at the deadline if his team doesn't play with more desperation.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/02/24/fl ... ow-threats

It's like he's finally seeing what everyone else in the hockey world has been watching for the last couple of years. His team is aging, slow, lack-talent and have mediocre conditioning.

I don't watch as many Flames games as I used to because they're games are brutal to watch, but the times I've watched them this year, I've noticed how they tire late in games and how their effort level decreases when they play multiple games in a short amount of time, especially on the road.

A burn it to the ground re-build may not be a wise choice, but neither is adding salary and sending out prospects/picks for high priced players whose games are in decline.

As the article says, it's probably Feaster just lighting a fire under his boys for the stretch run, but he sounds like a GM who is coming to the realization that this team needs major work, not just an addition or swap here or there.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

coco_canuck wrote:I love how Jay Feaster woke up from last season's turkey coma and warned of changes at the deadline if his team doesn't play with more desperation.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/02/24/fl ... ow-threats

It's like he's finally seeing what everyone else in the hockey world has been watching for the last couple of years. His team is aging, slow, lack-talent and have mediocre conditioning.

I don't watch as many Flames games as I used to because they're games are brutal to watch, but the times I've watched them this year, I've noticed how they tire late in games and how their effort level decreases when they play multiple games in a short amount of time, especially on the road.

A burn it to the ground re-build may not be a wise choice, but neither is adding salary and sending out prospects/picks for high priced players whose games are in decline.

As the article says, it's probably Feaster just lighting a fire under his boys for the stretch run, but he sounds like a GM who is coming to the realization that this team needs major work, not just an addition or swap here or there.

I don't think its just that he only now woke up. I don't think he had the green light last year to clean house. I think he does this year. If he can get a king's ransom for any of his players he should do it but otherwise sit tight until the summer when better hockey moves can be made. He would get a lot more for an Iginla type in July when teams have roster space than he will right now. Same goes with J'Bow. Not that I think he needs or wants to trade those guys but if he is going for picks and prospect and a new culture the summer is the time to do it.

Although I'd take Jackman off their hands if it helps.
The only HW the Canucks need
coco_canuck
CC Rookie

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: I don't think its just that he only now woke up. I don't think he had the green light last year to clean house. I think he does this year. If he can get a king's ransom for any of his players he should do it but otherwise sit tight until the summer when better hockey moves can be made. He would get a lot more for an Iginla type in July when teams have roster space than he will right now. Same goes with J'Bow. Not that I think he needs or wants to trade those guys but if he is going for picks and prospect and a new culture the summer is the time to do it.
The Flames not giving their GM a green light to shape a struggling franchise right of the bat isn't a good situation.

If he really does have the green light this year, the course he takes by the next summer will be very telling of what he really thinks of the situation.

I'm not necessarily advocating a fire sale, but I'd be downright shocked if either Iginla or Kipper is moved. Adding Cammy makes no sense if you're not keeping your other top players, so it'll be interesting to see what Feaster does and how it all works out.

I get the sense the Flames think they just need a few pieces to supplement their top guys, and I don't think a few additions will help them much.
Vpete
CC Veteran

Post by Vpete »

This just appeared on Twitter from Flames official account

@NHLFLames $10 Million over two years for Hemsly is the funniest thing I've heard in a long, long time. I hope it happens. #whatajoke

Then this:

@NHLFlames: We apologize for a tweet that was sent out from our account inadvertently. We are looking into the matter.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
tantalum
CC Veteran

Post by tantalum »

All class that Flames organization. All class.