GDT- Feb 4, 2012 at Colorado Avalanche

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT- Feb 4, 2012 at Colorado Avalanche

Post by rockalt »

Somehow I didn't notice how lopsided the shots were. 18-6! Unbelievably. Let's hope for a big bounce back in the second.

One thing that surprised me was how long it took for the Sedins to come onto the ice. Any idea how many minutes they logged in the first?
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Listercat wrote:
clem wrote:Raymond's defence and abiltiy to gain the offensive zone are good, but once there he is a perimeter jitterbug.

Higgins is a real spark plug for the second line. Lots of hussle, but all this illness must be deflating.

Who was in front tying up 2 defenders on Kesler's goal ???
He got pushed into an strange place. :P
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Listercat wrote:
clem wrote:Raymond's defence and abiltiy to gain the offensive zone are good, but once there he is a perimeter jitterbug.

Higgins is a real spark plug for the second line. Lots of hussle, but all this illness must be deflating.

Who was in front tying up 2 defenders on Kesler's goal ???
I like Raymond's hustle and his defensive game a lot but with his frame to be an effective player he needs to put up at least 15 goals per year. Sadly it really looks like his 25 goal season will remain a career high. He does all the little things right but he just doesn't seem to have the finish. I hope I'm wrong and he rounds into form but I just don't see him ever eclipsing 30 goals. I'd be happy if he consistently scored 20-25 but even that looks like a stretch these days.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

What a fucking cluster that was.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

rockalt wrote: I like Raymond's hustle and his defensive game a lot but with his frame to be an effective player he needs to put up at least 15 goals per year. Sadly it really looks like his 25 goal season will remain a career high. He does all the little things right but he just doesn't seem to have the finish. I hope I'm wrong and he rounds into form but I just don't see him ever eclipsing 30 goals. I'd be happy if he consistently scored 20-25 but even that looks like a stretch these days.
When Raymond first came back from injury he was going to the tough areas more. Since then, he seems to be drifting back to old habits.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

There's no magic pill to cure what ails the Canucks right now.

They need to keep working hard and keep communicating on the ice. Nobody's on the same page right now.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The neutral zone is like lava to the Canucks.

They just can't get through it.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

clem wrote: When Raymond first came back from injury he was going to the tough areas more. Since then, he seems to be drifting back to old habits.
Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised by his play at the start of the year. I would have expected the opposite (a slow start as he slowly gained confidence and adjusted to the pace of the game). Not that I'm upset with his game but he's pretty useless if he doesn't score.

Pretty listless tonight. *Sigh* To be expected I suppose but it would nice to see the team firing on all cylinders again.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I have to say it but I haven't seen the Sedins play like this since their early days. They just don't look interested period. Add to that their usual high risk plays in their own zone and they're almost at the time when let them sit for a shift of two. Right now Hodgson line looks like a better option ?
cheers
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Gotta give Raymond credit where due. He drew that penalty by going to the net.

However, games where the refs allow more physical contact - aren't good for Raymond.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Well 5th powerplay of the game coming up. Aside from the Hodgson post (which was more the result of Colorado's turnover than the Canucks controlling the play) the powerplay has been anemic today. Let's hope for quality scoring chances to gain some momentum at the very least! A goal as well would be nice of course!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

That no call on the Daiel Sedin being hooked, so blatant, would have been a throw all the sticks on the ice reaction by Punch McLean :twisted:
cheers
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Yeah that was bad especially considering it lead to a pretty good scoring chance (a freaking breakaway)! They also missed the high stick on Bieksa immediately following the last PP but honestly it doesn't look like either would matter much with how poor the team is playing today. They can't even gain the offensive zone without going offside. Brutal game.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Bieksa saves the day.

We don't deserve a point in this one either.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Booins lost so 2 would be good...deserved or not
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….