GDT- Feb 4, 2012 at Colorado Avalanche

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

GDT- Feb 4, 2012 at Colorado Avalanche

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

MODS please move to Game Day Forum...Sorry
Puck drops at 12-noon PST

CANUCKS (31-15-5) at AVALANCHE (26-25-2)

TV: SNET-Pacific (HD), ALTITUDE (HD)

LAST 10: Vancouver 6-2-2; Colorado 3-6-1

Season Series: It's the third of six regular-season meetings between these Northwest Division rivals. In the last one on Dec. 6, Daniel Sedin notched a hat trick as the Canucks rolled to a 6-0 win. Vancouver has outscored Colorado 9-0 in two head-to-head wins this season.

Big Story: The Avs welcome the division-leading Canucks to Pepsi Center trying to put the wheels back on the bus. Colorado mustered 37 shots against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday, but Niklas Backstrom registered a 1-0 shutout as the Avs suffered their fourth straight loss. The Canucks had their three-game win streak snapped by losing 4-3 in a shootout to the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday at Rogers Arena.

Team Scope:

Canucks: The Wings were on the top of their game in Vancouver, getting 43 shots on Roberto Luongo. But Luongo made 40 saves, and Ryan Kesler, Alexandre Burrows and Mason Raymond each answered Detroit goals to help Vancouver earn a point. But Detroit got the extra point when Pavel Datsyuk and Jiri Hudler scored in the shootout and Jimmy Howard stopped two shots -- dropping Vancouver to 3-5 in the tiebreaker.

"You have to take the positives out of it," Kesler said. "We obviously fought through a lot. We're down twice, three times in the game, and battled back every time and got a point out of it, which was important."

Avalanche: For the second time in a three-game stretch, the Avs failed to gain ground in a home game against the Wild, who occupy the final playoff spot in the West. Colorado opened up a four-game homestand by outshooting Minnesota 37-21, but was held without a goal on home ice for the third time this season.

The Avs bring a four-game losing streak into the game against the Canucks, with all four losses by one goal.

"It's real frustrating," rookie forward Gabriel Landeskog told the Denver Post. "We should have gotten a couple of goals on them [Thursday]. I know I had some chances in close. We have to just try to reload and get the next game."

Who's Hot: Kesler's goal extended his point streak to four games (three goals, one assist). … Colorado's Ryan O'Reilly has accumulated four goals and four assists over his last nine games.

Injury Report: Chris Higgins (illness) did not travel with the team and will miss Saturday's game at Colorado. Andrew Ebbett (collarbone surgery) and Aaron Volpatti (shoulder surgery) remain out for Vancouver. ... Matt Duchene (knee) is several weeks away from returning to the Avs' lineup.

Stat Pack: After leading the NHL by converting on 24.3 percent of their power-play chances last season, the Canucks lead the League again in that category (22.9) through 51 games this season.

Puck Drop: The Canucks begin a four-game trip looking for the kind of dominance they had for most of last season but have shown only in spurts in 2011-12.

"There's times during the season when you are not going to have everyone at 100 percent, and I think right now we are in a stretch where we're not executing," captain Henrik Sedin told the Vancouver Sun. "But we have a good group in here and we are going to be in a lot of games, we are going to battle back in a lot of games. But this is not the way we want to get our points."

I'm hoping for a half decent game but given how shitty the Av's are these days I'm not so confident the boys are all that motivated. Prove me wrong please....
It's hard to believe this is the same historical enemy that were the Canucks biggest rivals for the better part of 15 years or so. Now they're along the same lines as the Blue Jackets. Sucks to be them.
If you need air...call it in
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT- Feb 4, 2012 at Colorado Avalanche

Post by clem »

Nice intro / work, but..................................it would be better in the Game Day Forum.

Meanwhile, Bitz is reported as making it to the game (Murphy). I want to see how he will use his 6-5, 220, & inclination to be physical. Videos of his fighting skills aren't encouraging though.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Bitz is in and will wear #34 as per Murph
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote: It's hard to believe this is the same historical enemy that were the Canucks biggest rivals for the better part of 15 years or so. Now they're along the same lines as the Blue Jackets. Sucks to be them.

It does suck to be them, but it must suck worse to suffer with your team as they put together a system and a contending team and have to watch them as their bastard owner sells out to interests south of the border and then watch as that team puts together multiple championships. I am sure that sucks much worse.
As for the Colorado hockey fan, they got a team off the backs of Quebec City fans, they didn't have to suffer through a building process, life was pretty good in Denver, till now.....now the league gets to find out about the quality of hockey fans going forward. Will they stick around while the team has to work its way up from stink? we shall see... :drink: :drink:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

clem wrote:Nice intro / work, but..................................it would be better in the Game Day Forum.

Meanwhile, Bitz is reported as making it to the game (Murphy). I want to see how he will use his 6-5, 220, & inclination to be physical. Videos of his fighting skills aren't encouraging though.
As long as he has the speed/quickness to get in on the fore check and lay a few licks on their D. I believe he answers the bell if challenged, when you go into a fight it's a coin toss what might happen, break a knuckle on a helmet step on a stick. But yes it would be nice if his scrapping skills alone were enough to make the opposition think twice before starting any thing :twisted:
cheers
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Raymond's softness was evident on the first shift of the game. Two players looking for one puck & Raymond watches it leave with the other guy.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Kesler's game is heating up.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

First game I've been able to watch live in some time. Suddenly loving the Americans' affinity for weekend afternoon games!

Great shot by Kesler. Nice to see his game picking up of late but I can't wait 'til Higgins returns. I like his game a lot more than Raymond's, though admittedly I've been impressed by Raymond's backchecking.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Wow. Almost missed the game. Didn't know they were playing during the day!! :devil:
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Raymond's defence and abiltiy to gain the offensive zone are good, but once there he is a perimeter jitterbug.

Higgins is a real spark plug for the second line. Lots of hussle, but all this illness must be deflating.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Holy fuck is the ice ever bad.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Chalk up a win for Bitz. Had third line duty as well.

So far so good for Bitz.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Why are we not shooting the puck????
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Just hangin in there. I'd like to see a better physical push back in the second. They're kind of pushing us around a little more than I'd like.
There's a few assets in that line up that would really look good in Canucks blue & green though.
If you need air...call it in
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

clem wrote:Raymond's defence and abiltiy to gain the offensive zone are good, but once there he is a perimeter jitterbug.

Higgins is a real spark plug for the second line. Lots of hussle, but all this illness must be deflating.

Who was in front tying up 2 defenders on Kesler's goal ???
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "