“The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: “The Most Hated Team in Hockey” Circle the wagons.

Post by LotusBlossom »

Meh, they can hate all they want. I've traveled enough all around North America and parts of the world to know that we have an amazingly beautiful city.

The 'smugness' some talk about is true, but at the same time, it's because a lot of Vancouverites are proud of their city.

Besides with the recent stunts on the ice the Bruins are now getting called for (gee where was that last year) and stunt Timmy Thomas pulled with refusing to the see the President, they can take a part of the badge.

When Vancouver was losing, no one gave a fuck about hating or loving the Canucks. I think most times, I'd rather have some news on our team than not hear about them like the old days.

But that's just me.

Embrace the hate.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

The city of Vancouver's appeal is largely due to the accident of location. Unfortunately, this is undermined by the local sanctimonious loudmouths.

I doubt that most people in major NHL cities give much consideration to the city Vancouver at all - it just isn't that significant. They do however, notice the loudmouths. The Canucks are a focal point.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

LotusBlossom wrote:Meh, they can hate all they want. I've traveled enough all around North America and parts of the world to know that we have an amazingly beautiful city.

The 'smugness' some talk about is true, but at the same time, it's because a lot of Vancouverites are proud of their city.

Besides with the recent stunts on the ice the Bruins are now getting called for (gee where was that last year) and stunt Timmy Thomas pulled with refusing to the see the President, they can take a part of the badge.

When Vancouver was losing, no one gave a fuck about hating or loving the Canucks. I think most times, I'd rather have some news on our team than not hear about them like the old days.

But that's just me.

Embrace the hate.
I like this. When I am in Memory Lane about Van it is always the sensory aspects I recall. the smell of pulpmills on False creek and down at the bottom of Granville on the Fraser. I mix that in with rain, Cedar, wind off the Pacific, canneries, Steveston was brutal back in the day when the wind was wrong, Chinatown and tidal flats. The City for me was never about the people. It was always sensory and always sensual. For any person who is tactile and lives through their senses Vancouver is a picnic. Other big cities are bland compared to ours in sensory input. The closest I have found is NYC. A Stanley CUp would be nice and I will take it. However, there are places in Canada and the US where sports prizes are what they are known for.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

damonberryman wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:Meh, they can hate all they want. I've traveled enough all around North America and parts of the world to know that we have an amazingly beautiful city.

But that's just me.

Embrace the hate.
I like this. When I am in Memory Lane about Van it is always the sensory aspects I recall. the smell of pulpmills on False creek and down at the bottom of Granville on the Fraser. I mix that in with rain, Cedar, wind off the Pacific, canneries, Steveston was brutal back in the day when the wind was wrong, Chinatown and tidal flats. The City for me was never about the people. It was always sensory and always sensual. For any person who is tactile and lives through their senses Vancouver is a picnic. Other big cities are bland compared to ours in sensory input. The closest I have found is NYC. A Stanley CUp would be nice and I will take it. However, there are places in Canada and the US where sports prizes are what they are known for.

Every major city has sensory input. I want a cup. That's about all the sensory input I need in Vancouver right now.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Like LB I've travelled extensively around the world and NA as well. The only place that comes close IMO is Cape Town with it's table top mountain looming over the city and right on the Ocean, unfortunately crime has really flourished there in recent years. I think some who maybe spend all their time in Vcr get to take it for granted. There's few places as beautiful as Vcr in early May, spring sunshine and the snow still on the mountains
cheers
Mark2
AHL Prospect

Post by Mark2 »

Hitchcock definitely got it right: "If they want to be liked, they should start losing. Then people will love them." Or something to that effect. When was the last time people hated the Islanders or the Blue Jackets? People are always going to dislike good teams. I don't particularly like Boston or Chicago, mostly because they are good teams and have gotten the better side of the Canucks in the playoffs the last few years. Also, I don't think many people hate the Canucks because they get to live in Vancouver. There are other nice cities with NHL franchises that people don't hate on.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

cjc wrote:
damonberryman wrote:

But that's just me.

Embrace the hate.
I like this. When I am in Memory Lane about Van it is always the sensory aspects I recall. the smell of pulpmills on False creek and down at the bottom of Granville on the Fraser. I mix that in with rain, Cedar, wind off the Pacific, canneries, Steveston was brutal back in the day when the wind was wrong, Chinatown and tidal flats. The City for me was never about the people. It was always sensory and always sensual. For any person who is tactile and lives through their senses Vancouver is a picnic. Other big cities are bland compared to ours in sensory input. The closest I have found is NYC. A Stanley CUp would be nice and I will take it. However, there are places in Canada and the US where sports prizes are what they are known for.[/quote
Every major city has sensory input. I want a cup. That's about all the sensory input I need in Vancouver right now.
I get the part aboout the cup but as for teh sensory bit, have you gotten out much?
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

damonberryman wrote:
cjc wrote:
damonberryman wrote: I like this. When I am in Memory Lane about Van it is always the sensory aspects I recall. the smell of pulpmills on False creek and down at the bottom of Granville on the Fraser. I mix that in with rain, Cedar, wind off the Pacific, canneries, Steveston was brutal back in the day when the wind was wrong, Chinatown and tidal flats. The City for me was never about the people. It was always sensory and always sensual. For any person who is tactile and lives through their senses Vancouver is a picnic. Other big cities are bland compared to ours in sensory input. The closest I have found is NYC. A Stanley CUp would be nice and I will take it. However, there are places in Canada and the US where sports prizes are what they are known for.
I get the part aboout the cup but as for teh sensory bit, have you gotten out much?[/
That, coming from someone who likes the smell of pulp mills.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

He says he recalls them..not nesessarily likes them. I grew up in campbell river a mill town and recall the smell also. but my main smell after being away for a time Is the ocean...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

The pulp mill smell was referenced in responce to how "Vancouverites are proud of their city".

A sentimental walk (or smell) down memory lane.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

clem wrote:The pulp mill smell was referenced in responce to how "Vancouverites are proud of their city".

A sentimental walk (or smell) down memory lane.
Unlike a lot of transplanted Easterners when I grew up we worked in the MIlls if you were lucky or a green chain. I like it because it reminds me of another place and time before Van filled up with people from Toronto, not that I dislike TO. Nice town but no sensory at all unless it is visual. There are many different kinds of people and you may not be the same as me or some others. Makes the world go around. NOt sure what point you are trying to make with remark. No matter.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

I like this. When I am in Memory Lane about Van it is always the sensory aspects I recall. the smell of pulpmills on False creek and down at the bottom of Granville on the Fraser. I mix that in with rain, Cedar, wind off the Pacific, canneries, Steveston was brutal back in the day when the wind was wrong, Chinatown and tidal flats. The City for me was never about the people. It was always sensory and always sensual. For any person who is tactile and lives through their senses Vancouver is a picnic. Other big cities are bland compared to ours in sensory input. The closest I have found is NYC. A Stanley CUp would be nice and I will take it. However, there are places in Canada and the US where sports prizes are what they are known for.[/quote
Every major city has sensory input. I want a cup. That's about all the sensory input I need in Vancouver right now.[/quote][/quote]
I get the part aboout the cup but as for teh sensory bit, have you gotten out much?[/quote]

Hah, that's actually quite funny. Other big cities are bland compared to Vancouver? Yeah, I've gotten out. That's why thinking Vancouver has more sensory input is laughable. An attitude like that is part of the Vancouver arrogance people don't like.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Most overrated team according to 2012 NHLPA/CBC Sports Players Poll = Canucks

“No doubt buoyed by their timid Stanley Cup Final performance against Boston, the lack of testicular fortitude from their star starting goaltender and the usual Sedin jealousy/Burrows loathing that permeates these polls.”
Ummm there are many sources of hate for the Canucks it would seem, not the least of which would be "journalists" (lol who the hell is Greg Wyshynski ??) spreading bullshit stories like Lou lacking testicular fortitude. :hmmm:

BTW can someone tell me what Cherry & Maclean were saying about Burrows post-game??

I heard they talked about him yet again.

Speaking of Burrows & hatred, pre-game:

"Ever since I came in the league, the leaves have always been the team I hated as a kid," Burrows said. "For some reason, it feels good to play here. It's a great building and the fans are great. There's a lot of guys and a lot of fans in Vancouver that don't like [the leaves], and that makes this extra special."

Oh my gosh I love Burrows. :lol:

Two goals against those dirty Leaves again last night, 13 points in 9 career games vs Leaves. :D

How about that EH RONNY??
____
Try to focus on someday.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Most overrated team according to 2012 NHLPA/CBC Sports Players Poll = Canucks

“No doubt buoyed by their timid Stanley Cup Final performance against Boston, the lack of testicular fortitude from their star starting goaltender and the usual Sedin jealousy/Burrows loathing that permeates these polls.”
Yep.

Overrated all-right. Presidents' Trophy victory by a 10 point margin, followed by numerous individual achievements and trophies, followed by a game away from winning the cup and having one of the most dominating seasons in NHL history. A team operating at 45% health, loses in 7 games to a team operating at 85% health.

PS - Speaking of overrated, how many points are the Canucks on pace for this year as of this writing? :?: :!: :hmmm: