Would the NFL ever work in Vancouver?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

1) In your opinion, would the NFL work in Vancouver? (as opposed to the NBA?)

2) Do you think the NFL can and should come to Vancouver? Is it financially feasible?

3) If an NFL Franchise in Vancouver enjoyed great success, would they have a chance at replacing the Canucks as the most popular team in town?

4) If an NFL Franchise in Vancouver won a Super Bowl before the Canucks won a Stanley Cup (knock on wood), would football replace hockey as the most popular sport in Vancouver? (not just for one year......but for a long long time......assuming that the Canucks do not win a cup in said time span).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Would the NFL ever work in Vancouver?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

No it wouldn't work Farhan.

Vancouver is pretty much a one trick pony in terms of sports teams. MLB wouldn't fly here either. All one has to do is listen to the mouth breathers that phone into the TEAM 1040. They don't know anything other than Canucks.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Would the NFL ever work in Vancouver?
let me ask you Farhan do you think the city of Vancouver, the province and the feds would hand over the title to a brand new stadium, guaranty 20 years of consecutive sellouts, cash payments in US funds for the franchise rights, and a significant tax holiday for the owner and and all NFL related business in the province?

Because that would be what it would take to get a franchise here.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

No, too gay :twisted:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: All one has to do is listen to the mouth breathers that phone into the TEAM 1040. They don't know anything other than Canucks.
:lol:
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

I'm not an NFL fan, prefer CFL but I think the NFL would do well here. The number of people who follow the NFL astounds me. With the profile of the teams that would come into town, BC Place would draw huge crowds. NBA is still more of an inner city U.S. thing so not really in tune with Vancouver (no matter what the hip hop wannabes think) NFL football might be the only sport that could be a close second to the Canucks in this town but I still don't think it would overtake hockey.
Farhan Lalji

THIRTEEEN (13) YEARS TO THE DATE

Post by Farhan Lalji »

It's The End of The World As You Know It.

Do You Understand?!?!
TheRealCheech
AHL Prospect

Post by TheRealCheech »

The biggest problem I see with the NFL coming anywhere to Canada is that any diehard fan has grown up cheering for their respective teams won't embrace a new NFL team so easily. Personally I've been a Steelers fan since I was a teenager and won't switch now even if a team were to come to Van. And what about all those "hometown" Shithawk fans cheering for Seattle? Maybe it is a good idea you could give them a real hometown to cheer for.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:No it wouldn't work Farhan.

Vancouver is pretty much a one trick pony in terms of sports teams. MLB wouldn't fly here either. All one has to do is listen to the mouth breathers that phone into the TEAM 1040. They don't know anything other than Canucks.
+1
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Did anyone catch the NFL's state of the league address on expansion? Seems the league that prints money has no plans to share the golden goose at all, period, end of discussion...but, if they were, they would likely expand by two franchises to keep things even.

One would definitely go to the largest market not to have a team in the US of A, Los Angeles, the other team would leave the USA with a free shot at experimenting with international opportunities. The NFL is big business here in London England. they have consistently sold out games here and with games only once a week here jet lag is not much of a factor. Mexico City is another huge market with a massive football heritage. Both of these cities are way more likely in line for the one foreseeable expansion team than either Toronto or Vancouver. it seems the only way a team comes north is if a Canadian with more money and clout than Goodell and the NFL lawyers decides to buy an existing team and move the franchise here a la nob Irsay and the Baltimore Colts.
Then its a question of do we want a team at the expense of a community somewhere else.
personally as a fan of a Canadian city that lost an NBA franchise like that, and watched as my cousins in Winnipeg and Quebec had their hearts cut out and even our neighbour to the south in Seattle who had children on the streets with their piggy banks.... i dont want any part of it ...
topcornermax
AHL Prospect

Post by topcornermax »

would love to see but dont think its going to ever happen