The NHL's New Logo

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should the NHL have a new logo?

Yes - the old black and orange crest sucks
12%
No - the traditional look is classic and should be retained
71%
I don't care
18%

Total votes: 17

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

The NHL's New Logo

Post by Cornuck »

There are reports that the NHL is considering to change from the orange and black logo they have used for decades.

Link

What do you think?

Should they keep the old one? Is it out of date or does it represent the proud history of the league?

Should they have a marketing company create a new one? Would it bring the league into the 21st century or make a mockery of all we hold sacred?

Personally, I'm afraid the Bettman the ass-clown will approve something that will appeal to 10 year old girls in Florida. From there, it will change every 3 years until in 2018 when the new commisionner (Brian Burke) changes it back the existing one.

Also, please feel free to post your own ideas on the board.
Last edited by Cornuck on Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
CTS
AHL Prospect

Post by CTS »

I don't mind the old one and see nothing wrong with it, but at the same time I really couldn't care less if they changed it.

I'm sure it'll be really slick, probably have teal in the colour scheme (is teal still cool?), and maybe a league wide mascot in the logo as well. Maybe they will make it blurry to try to convey to America that hockey is really fast and exciting. Etc.

*shrug*
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

lor
AHL Prospect

Post by lor »

LOL..............................butt you are probably not far off the truth.

I like the orange and black..................some traditions shouldn't be messed with.
It's not easy being me.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Colin Campbell: WAITASECOND, GARY!!! We have a major, major development here that could save the season!!!

Gary Bettman: What??? You've solved the labour dispute???

Colin Campbell: Yes. And all we have to agree to is to change the NHL logo to a picture of Bob Goodenow's butt . . .

Gary Bettman: Hmmn, I was somehow expecting the NHLPA would be asking for more?

Colin Campbell: Oh yeah. There was one little thing. Uh . . . something about you, the owners, the fans and every living person on the planet having to kiss the logo each and every morning.

Gary Bettman: (Whispering) Tell you what, advise Goodenow that it's a deal, but then secretly put MY BUTT on the logo and noone will ever be the wiser. I mean, a butt's a butt . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

I agree... the league shouldn't mess with the logo. It's not pretty, but it doesn't have to be.. people just have to identify it with the league (which people already do). Bettman et al probably just want something flashier (i.e. the NFL logo). But I don't think they should leave it alone and just concentrate on solving the current issues with the NHLPA.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Eh perhaps an updated version of the old one, would be interesting, but changing it completely is something I'd have to see the design before deciding.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I agree... the league shouldn't mess with the logo. It's not pretty, but it doesn't have to be.. people just have to identify it with the league (which people already do
I like the old logo personally ... but maybe thats the problem they are trying to address ... maybe they think people identify the old logowith a league that is unsuccessful in comparison with other major sports ... maybe they want to turn things around with a new marketing program ... ya know ... new image, new CBA deal, new tv contracts .... Success ....

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Grizzly wrote:maybe they want to turn things around with a new marketing program ... ya know ... new image, new CBA deal, new tv contracts .... Success ....
How about a few rule tweaks that open up the game - or better yet: CALL THE FRICKIN' OBSTRUCTION!!!

The rest of it won't matter if they don't improve the product. Anyone remember "New Coke"?
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

here is my version of what it will probably look like

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice work - it looks like you have Bettman behind bars!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

How about a few rule tweaks that open up the game - or better yet: CALL THE FRICKIN' OBSTRUCTION!!!
Yup .... but we have beaten that to death in previous discussions ....the NHL doesn't get it ... easier to take lines out, move them around or paint them bigger than actually retrain the referees to "make the call" consistently I guess eh?

Grizz
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Vegas_Nucks_Fan wrote: How about a few rule tweaks that open up the game - or better yet: CALL THE FRICKIN' OBSTRUCTION!!!
+++

Quoted for Truth & Clarity.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Leave it alone.

Change the slogans and commercials all you like but leave the crest alone.
It would be like changing the Cup.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Leave it alone.

Change the slogans and commercials all you like but leave the crest alone.
It would be like changing the Cup.

you didnt hear..........................................................