Tim Thomas

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Hoss
CC Rookie

Tim Thomas

Post by Hoss »

To busy jocking Glenn Beck's nuts to suck it up?

Think what you want about Obama, the man isn't Adolf Hitler for chrissakes. Glenn Beck on the other hand is a dangerously deluded cultist who twists history like any good revisionist bunghole.

Ken Campbell, resident clown at the Hockey News, of course supports this BS.

What do you guys think?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Tim Thomas

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hoss wrote:To busy jocking Glenn Beck's nuts to suck it up?

Think what you want about Obama, the man isn't Adolf Hitler for chrissakes. Glenn Beck on the other hand is a dangerously deluded cultist who twists history like any good revisionist bunghole.

What do you guys think?
I could honestly care less. I think he screwed his team over by taking the spotlight away from them and shining it on himself and his stand against what, government?

Then again... it is his right to be an idiot.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Who cares.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

What do you guys think?
Dude, your country is go'n down... :?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:

What do you guys think?
Dude, your country is go'n down... :?
"From the coalitions we've built to secure nuclear materials, to the missions we've led against hunger and disease; from the blows we've dealt to our enemies; to the enduring power of our moral example, America is back.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn't know what they're talking about. That's not the message we get from leaders around the world, all of whom are eager to work with us. That's not how people feel from Tokyo to Berlin; from Cape Town to Rio; where opinions of America are higher than they've been in years. Yes, the world is changing; no, we can't control every event. But America remains the one indispensable nation in world affairs – and as long as I'm President, I intend to keep it that way."
President Obama, Jan 24th, 2012
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Tim Thomas’s decision to skip a visit to the White House this week with the rest of the Stanley Cup-champion Boston Bruins may be the first step in the goaltender and the team parting ways, the Boston Globe reports.

Thomas, one of two Americans on the Bruins’ team that won the National Hockey League championship last season, declined the invitation to meet President Barack Obama on Jan. 23, saying in a statement that he believes “the federal government has grown out of control.”

Thomas, a two-time Vezina Trophy winner as the league’s best goaltender, said he made the decision as an individual and didn’t mention the Bruins or his teammates in his statement.

Bruins President Cam Neely said the organization was “disappointed” in Thomas, who was a member of the U.S. hockey team at the 2010 Winter Olympics. General Manager Peter Chiarelli said Thomas wouldn’t be disciplined for his actions.

Thomas, 37, has one year left on his four-year, $20 million contract with the Bruins after this season. A no-movement clause in his deal expires at the conclusion of the 2011-12 campaign, and the Globe said the White House snub may lead to the Bruins parting ways with Thomas, without citing the source of its information.

Thomas, who has spent all eight of his NHL seasons in Boston, is the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the postseason’s Most Valuable Player and has a 20-9 record with a 2.12 goals-against average this season. Tuukka Rusk, a 24-year- old from Finland, is the Bruins’ backup goaltender and is 11-5 with a 1.82 GAA after starting yesterday’s loss to the Washington Capitals.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-2 ... ports.html
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

The Bruins will definitely be parting ways with Thomas. He's at the end of his career anyway and they have competent goaltending without him. He has embarrassed their organization at one of the traditional and high profile events for champioinship sports teams.

Not sure what the players think. He's the only American on the team and they probably could care less about U.S. politics but he should have been front and centre as their American team mate and the winner of the Conn Smythe. It must have been uncomfortable for them and detracts from what should have been another highlight of their careers. Selfish of Thomas.

As for the U.S. going down? Well, when they lose the veneer of tolerance that they've tried so hard to build since the 60's, it's not looking good. The ugly red state-blue state split just hasn't gone away.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hoss wrote: To busy jocking Glenn Beck's nuts to suck it up?

Think what you want about Obama, the man isn't Adolf Hitler for chrissakes.
What do Thomas, Beck, Obama, and Hitler all have in common?

answer: All have slid from famous to infamous.

Welcome to the club Timmah! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hoss wrote: Think what you want about Obama, the man isn't Adolf Hitler for chrissakes.

Even if he was Hitler, great US athletes like Jesse Owens showed up when sent as part of a TEAM.

==

I'm glad TT did this, any negative light on the Bruins is good light. Even their own media is starting in on him.

Edit: Has Jack Edwards chimed in on this yet, love to hear his spin.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I am not sure if America is going up, down or sideways. I have lived here in NY for years and the American people are as close to being Canadian as possible. The ways they are not however, is profound and underlines the difference in the two nations. One of those differences is this Tea Party thing. It is hard for me to imagine Canadians getting that worked up about the definition of being conservative. Also, how American is it that they named the movement after the act of traitors?That traitorous bit gets overlooked due to winning that conflict but there is nothing else to call it when Englishmen revolt against their lawful ruler and of course it was over money. That is as American as it gets. Tim Thomas upset a lot of fans when he made it about him and in the end that is what he did despite people like Campbell at Hockey News who applaud him for it. What he missed and what the whole movement missed is it was not a political event. It was a tradition and still is. Does anyone out there really believe it was not about politics on Timmy's part? Does anyone think he would not have gone if a nice white Bush was in office? Timmy is from of teh bigger redneck spots on the planet also known as Flint, Michigan, the same state who graces us with Ted (kill them all and let God sort it out) Nugent who can play a guitar but whose brain is not good for much else. I believe TT did this partly out of politics and partly out of racism, the hidden American disease. Don't get me wrong. I think we all have it but down here they like to pretend the Huxtables are the majority of people of colour and the ones who are still poor are there due to wanting it that way. I have a lot of affection for Americans but I have been here 20 years and still have a Green Card. I suppose that is my self-defeating political statement.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

damonberryman wrote:I am not sure if America is going up, down or sideways. I have lived here in NY for years and the American people are as close to being Canadian as possible. The ways they are not however, is profound and underlines the difference in the two nations. One of those differences is this Tea Party thing. It is hard for me to imagine Canadians getting that worked up about the definition of being conservative. Also, how American is it that they named the movement after the act of traitors?That traitorous bit gets overlooked due to winning that conflict but there is nothing else to call it when Englishmen revolt against their lawful ruler and of course it was over money. That is as American as it gets. Tim Thomas upset a lot of fans when he made it about him and in the end that is what he did despite people like Campbell at Hockey News who applaud him for it. What he missed and what the whole movement missed is it was not a political event. It was a tradition and still is. Does anyone out there really believe it was not about politics on Timmy's part? Does anyone think he would not have gone if a nice white Bush was in office? Timmy is from of teh bigger redneck spots on the planet also known as Flint, Michigan, the same state who graces us with Ted (kill them all and let God sort it out) Nugent who can play a guitar but whose brain is not good for much else. I believe TT did this partly out of politics and partly out of racism, the hidden American disease. Don't get me wrong. I think we all have it but down here they like to pretend the Huxtables are the majority of people of colour and the ones who are still poor are there due to wanting it that way. I have a lot of affection for Americans but I have been here 20 years and still have a Green Card. I suppose that is my self-defeating political statement.
Likey 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

The pressure is now on Thomas. He needs to play lights out for the rest of the season or this will be "the" reason why the B's struggled in the last half of the season.

I dont care about his political beliefs, but his move was more of one that is un-team like.

Anyone see Cory's comments?

Suck it up Tommy!

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/vancouvers- ... house.html
"I have no problem with his personal beliefs, but [Thomas] can suck it up for an hour, say, 'hi,' and be with the team, and avoid all of this," Schneider told The Province.

Schneider -- a Marblehead, Mass., native and Boston College alum that has made 16 starts this season -- said he thinks Thomas should be more appreciative of the opportunities he's been given by playing in the United States.

"Respect the [presidency]," Schneider said. "He plays for Team USA and he has no problem making millions of dollars in the USA, but he can't go say 'hi' to the President? You get a lot of benefits living in the U.S. and he should have a little bit of respect for that.

"It's just the timing," he added. "It's poor timing. It's about putting your own agenda aside to do something with the team whether you like the guy or not."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good for corey, a qualified statement.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Soooo mister "Government is out of control and must be stopped" apparently hasn't actually voted since 2004. If true, his little act wasn't even genuine. People who actually care about such things vote.
Thomas didn't vote again until 2004—because of the NHL lockout, he was again playing in Europe, this time in Helsinki. And that's the last vote on record for Timothy James Thomas, Jr.

Other Tim Thomases have voted in Michigan since then, but not him. And there's no record of him registering in Massachusetts, where he makes his home now (he's lived in Lynnfield, Danvers, and Middleton), or in Rhode Island, where he lived before setting up shop in Massachusetts.

So, what have we learned? Someone—a landed white male, to boot—is acting "in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government." Huh. Weird how that works.

http://deadspin.com/5880693/tim-thomas- ... since-2004
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

It's getting better....better all the time...laugh out do as a say not as I do loud..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….