Tanev recalled

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Tanev recalled

Post by Fred »

Hadn't seen this posted any where else

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385450
cheers
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Tanev recalled

Post by 2Fingers »

Good then maybe we wont see Rome out there anymore, Alberts is an OK depth D man but not 82 games.

Once Salo is back I would like to see the pairing of Tanev and Ballard again.

Now we need Bieksa to wake up and Edler to play like he can, at the end of the day I do believe a lot of the current issues are more driven by the schedule. So many games within a month and that includes the Christmas break.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote:Good then maybe we wont see Rome out there anymore, Alberts is an OK depth D man but not 82 games.

Once Salo is back I would like to see the pairing of Tanev and Ballard again.

Now we need Bieksa to wake up and Edler to play like he can, at the end of the day I do believe a lot of the current issues are more driven by the schedule. So many games within a month and that includes the Christmas break.
Wishingful thinking! Rome will always have a spot. I bet Ballard or Alberts (most likely) would be the first to sit in the press box. Seriously, I hope MG could find a new home for Ballard soon. It would be a good thing for Ballard, Aqualini, the Canucks, and the fans.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It is kinda weird that they are now carrying 8 d-men. If Tanev plays well how can they send him back when Sami's ready to roll ? Something is up, maybe they can find a taker for Ballard or AA. Obviously Rome isn't going anywhere.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:It is kinda weird that they are now carrying 8 d-men. If Tanev plays well how can they send him back when Sami's ready to roll ? Something is up, maybe they can find a taker for Ballard or AA. Obviously Rome isn't going anywhere.
Or Salo could be out for a while... Even with Ballard traded, I would assume that MG would another defenseman in return. In that case, they will still carry 9 defenseman when Salo returns. :?:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:It is kinda weird that they are now carrying 8 d-men. If Tanev plays well how can they send him back when Sami's ready to roll ? Something is up, maybe they can find a taker for Ballard or AA. Obviously Rome isn't going anywhere.

That's the obvious thought, certainly the first one to pass through my mind ( no comments please )

The thing that worries me is all the big cup contenders have a big chunks of Cap space available to them...Boston, Chicago, Detroit while we have basically very little
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:

That's the obvious thought, certainly the first one to pass through my mind ( no comments please )

The thing that worries me is all the big cup contenders have a big chunks of Cap space available to them...Boston, Chicago, Detroit while we have basically very little
That doesn't worry me too much right now Fred. MG can always make some cap room and the Italians have shown they aren't afraid to dine on a contract or two if he can't find takers for guys like Alberts or Ballard.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: That doesn't worry me too much right now Fred. MG can always make some cap room and the Italians have shown they aren't afraid to dine on a contract or two if he can't find takers for guys like Alberts or Ballard.
Unless another contender makes huge additions, I wouldn't be too concerned about the deadline acquisitions of other teams.

This current Canucks squad is a stage where they control their own fate. When they're clicking, no team can beat them, and that's not a homer exaggeration.

It comes down to the Canucks being relatively healthy and performing at their best.

I would be more concerned about this team avoiding serious injuries, and Gillis adding another role player or two by the deadline, than the cap space of other teams.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I get the feeling ( totally irrational ) that Detroit and Chicago feel they're going for it big time especally Detroit and who knows maybe Boston will add players. The problem is there's a limit to the number of players that various GM's are willing to move...so it becomes a bit of a competition for those players. But Tanev return I agree makes you think there's a rabbit away some place :D
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:

The team lives and dies by the Sedins and Kesler. None of whom have been playing great lately.
Either way this team is going nowhere unless they shore up that back end. Salo is one hit from little AV playing 20 mintues a night. No thanks.

The depth moves up front and/or a deal involving Raymond for some chutzpah are secondary compared to the sideshow that will occur when Salo gets injured and if another guy in the top 4 gets hurt. There is no Ehrhoff this time around.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Mondi wrote:I think Gillis had merely seen enough of a deplorable display on the back end --> Rome, Ballard, Alberts, Sulzer.

People tend underrate Salo when he's in the lineup, but vastly overrate him when he's out. He's an important piece but he's not the guy that is going to win or lose the Cup for Vancouver.
Pretty much agree.

Salo is pretty good when he's in the line-up though. He's certainly not a number 1 defenceman, but he's a solid top 3 guy when he's healthy.

The right-handed Tanev is the natural choice to play alongside Edler, and that's the long-term plan anyways.

Tanev was outstanding in the pre-season, but had had a poor first few games and found himself back in Manitoba due to the numbers game.

Hopefully he has his confidence and poise back, and if he does, he should instantly stabilize the blue-line even if he doesn't stand out considerably.

The main issue is that right-side along Edler. If they have someone ready to slide-in to that spot, the defence would be much stronger.
Mondi wrote: Boy oh', boy a 2-2-1 stretch and we've got fans looking to trade Kesler, media claiming the team is tuning out Vigneault and other media practically putting Salo up for the Norris. A five game "slump" is no cause for concern. These are the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season. With that said, Tanev should help.
We saw this last season, the Canucks were so good, many seemed to have no choice but to constantly praise them, and at any sign of weakness, they'd magnify it to compensate.

The main reason for the team's struggles has been the tough schedule and the emotional deflation from the Boston game, with it being the middle of the season with the playoffs still months away. The all-star break will do them good, and I expect them to reel off another strong run shortly after the break is over.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Agree with a lot of what you said Mondi. When I said pedalling away Raymond I should have mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing us a get a decent hard nosed 3rd line guy for him.

Definitely I wouldn't have a problem trading the 1st pick and or a good young forward for a top 4 D man .
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mondi wrote: Boy oh', boy a 2-2-1 stretch and we've got fans looking to trade Kesler, media claiming the team is tuning out Vigneault and other media practically putting Salo up for the Norris. A five game "slump" is no cause for concern. These are the ebbs and flows of an 82 game season.
Welcome to January.

--
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Obviously Rome isn't going anywhere.
Which is just a great tragedy. He's been our worst player since his return from injury he showed up in a Canucks jersey a few years ago.

Ignoring the fact that he's Vigneault's boy, he's probably immovable because nobody would take him.

He was on the ice for 3 of the Duck's goals the other night, and 2 of those he was directly responsible for. He was then on the ice for both of LA's goals. Since the beginning of December he is a minus player, he often manages to break even in game we win, but that means he's either a non-factor or he's on for goals against and lucky enough to be out there when we score. When he plays a simple game and is limited to 15 minutes of TOI it is bearable, but when he is getting 17+ minutes, and trying to deke opponents and skate the puck out of the zone he hurts the team.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

or Tanev got called up because Sulzer was BRUTAL last game, and we have a favorable schedule where Tanev can get in 3 or 4 (5 or 6??) practices and a couple games in 2 weeks..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.