Trade Deadline Discussion

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Fred »

Schenn is OK but another over hyped TO player...remember Kaberle. I'll take Tanev over Schenn and at half the price :D
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Schneids + Ballard to the centre of the universe for Schenn + Monster.
What the fuck is it with the centre on the universe and handicapped parking?

Jason "I've always wanted to fight cancer" Blake is gone so they get

Phil "Busting his nut" Kessel

Johan "The heartless Monster" Gustavson

Let them keep their cripples.
:D

Don't forget

Colby Frequently Fractured Foot Armstrong

John-Michael-Two-Concussions-Since-April Liles

Joffrey Blood Infection Lupul

Tim Missed Two Hundred Eighty-nine Games Connolly

Matthew My Head Hurts Lombardi

Mike What HAVEN’T I Hurt Komisarek

Dion Shit For Brains Phaneuf

Toronto Special Needs. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You guys are morons for drooling over Schenn, he's been more of a disappointment than anything, he's like a Dana Murzyn type, just middling, meh, OK. Not good at anything, terrible scrapper, no offense and low hockey sense and an average puck mover. He is constantly in and out of the Maple Leaf line-up, nuff said.

On to Tim Gleason, I just became a huge fan of him after seeing his tilt he had with Englland of the Penguins last night, check out NHL Hockeyfights. Toe to toe great scrap with one of the leagues most feared fighters. Faired pretty good.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:On to Tim Gleason, I just became a huge fan of him after seeing his tilt he had with Englland of the Penguins last night, check out NHL Hockeyfights. Toe to toe great scrap with one of the leagues most feared fighters. Faired pretty good.
Soo 6'0 vs. 6'1 is only an issue for players you don't happen to know and like?
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Royal Dude said:
"You guys are morons for drooling over Schenn, he's been more of a disappointment than anything, he's like a Dana Murzyn type, just middling,"

hmmm Dana Murzyn still holds the record for the best all time +/- on the Canucks..Not great at any part of the game except being in position.. and good enough to move forwards off our goaltender and scrap if he had too.. And this was in the years when the Canucks were not at the top but struggling most years just to make the playoffs. I'd love to see a Dana Murzyn type dman on our team now.. closest we got to him his Hamhuis..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

damonberryman wrote: IF there was a way to get the cap bit to work, how about Kes and Ballard for Weber?
WOW that is a bold move.
Jovocop wrote:It was only few months ago when Kesler single handedly destroyed the Predators with Weber in the lineup. I am not sure Weber brings more than Kesler. I would rather have both than just one.
This is very true.

The problem with Kesler is that his style of play is going to wear his body down. I can't remember the last time he made it through a year without surgery. He usually has his surgery in the off-season, after a letdown in the playoffs. Is this bad luck or part of who he is as a hockey player?

This may very well prove to be the case with Hodgson, but I don't see that recklessness in his game that Kesler has. So if we get rid of our #2 center, I'm not sure Hodgson is going to meet or exceed what Kesler is doing.

Here's a question: does Boston win the Cup without trading away their best forward 3 years ago? The return not only made a big impact in their Cup run, but has emerged as a superstar on an ELC. Of course, the difference is Boston was a lot further away when they traded Kessel than the Canucks are now. I would say Boston could still have won the Cup, but they wouldn't be looking like repeat champions with Kessel.

Also, I have a hard time believing Nashville trades Weber without a solid roster player in return. There's too much that can be offered by other teams for us to get him for Raymond, Hodgson, prospects, and picks.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: As to what I am hearing? There are no serious talks regarding any blockbuster trades or big name players coming here. All MG is interested in doing is tweaking. He is sticking to his guns that the off season is the time for big deals and he has already made his "big" deal this season.
Thanks HW.

As for the Preds, I can see them move Suter if he's not re-signed by the deadline.

By all accounts, specifically from Friedman, Poile is not keen on losing another free-agent like he did Hamhuis without getting something valuable in return.

The Preds are deep on the back-end, but they need help up-front, and if they're to have any chance of re-signing Weber, or being a competitive team they have to get something for Suter if he's poised to walk away.

The only other option would be for Poile to make a shrewd move and add a scorer or two and make a run this playoffs, with the hope of going deep, in order to convince Suter and Weber to make long-term commitments. But that's a risky proposition, and at the current state of the team in regards to their two best players, I'm not sure that's a risk the usually measured Poile will make.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:You guys are morons for drooling over Schenn, he's been more of a disappointment than anything

Schenn is 21 and like all young defenseman he`s had his up`s and downs.

Kid has a ton of raw ability though.

Development rarely happens in a straight ine and I would be shocked if Schenn doesn't return to form in the very near future.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Apparently Gillis was scheduled to appear on the TEAM this morning. Did anyone hear the interview, and was there anything remotely intriguing with what he had to say?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

BladesofSteel wrote:Apparently Gillis was scheduled to appear on the TEAM this morning. Did anyone hear the interview, and was there anything remotely intriguing with what he had to say?
YES

NO

any way judge for your self

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/canucks-gm ... eam1040-2/

:D
cheers
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Murph just tweeted that Tanev has been re-called
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:You guys are morons for drooling over Schenn, he's been more of a disappointment than anything

Schenn is 21 and like all young defenseman he`s had his up`s and downs.

Kid has a ton of raw ability though.

Development rarely happens in a straight ine and I would be shocked if Schenn doesn't return to form in the very near future.

I had the pleasure of watching Luke Schenn during his Rockets junior career.

When the leaves drafted him everyone in Kelowna assumed that he would be back with the Rockets, after all how many 18 year old defencmen make the NHL? The fact that he made it with the leaves that year (top 4 D) was more a reflection on the shitty team the leaves were and still are.

No the leaves had to keep him even though they were going nowhere. They should have sent him back for one more year of juniors. They instead kept him and have beaten his confidence into the ground. He has tons of talent and is still only 21. Given the right kind of coaching he can again develop into a top 4 d man on pretty much any team in the NHL IMO.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

okcanuck wrote:
I had the pleasure of watching Luke Schenn during his Rockets junior career.

When the leaves drafted him everyone in Kelowna assumed that he would be back with the Rockets, after all how many 18 year old defencmen make the NHL? The fact that he made it with the leaves that year (top 4 D) was more a reflection on the shitty team the leaves were and still are.

No the leaves had to keep him even though they were going nowhere. They should have sent him back for one more year of juniors. They instead kept him and have beaten his confidence into the ground. He has tons of talent and is still only 21. Given the right kind of coaching he can again develop into a top 4 d man on pretty much any team in the NHL IMO.

That`s how I see it as well.

Schenn is a big, athletic kid, with a ton of character and hockey smarts. Not the most fleet footed guy but very skilled for the type of player he is, in fact his even strength point production is surprisingly good.

Comparisons to Dana Murzyn are kind of absurd, (although Dana never deserved the bad rap he got here)

I would take him in a second, and I would be pretty shocked if he didn't go on to a very long and successful career here.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Thanks, HW, for your insights into the Weber/Suter situation. This is such a difficult situation for the Preds. I don't think they have the payroll to keep both, plus Renne. Weber did make it clear (when he signed that 1 yr deal after arbitration) that he needed to see commitment to winning from ownership if he was going to sign long-term. Was this just a polite way of saying - "forget it!" ? I think so. Unless their payroll has at least another 8-10 mil added onto their existing 49 mil, their chance of "winning" remains unlikely. Up to now, ownership doesn't appear to have made that level of commitment. Obviously, their problem is that the team continues to lose money (or close to it), despite playoff appearances. :oops:

Can they re-sign Suter? I assume he is going to command close to 6 mil on the open market. If Nashville keeps to roughly the same payroll (approx. 50 mil), I can't see how that salary can work, especially if they have any chance of signing Weber (which I doubt). So, can you really see Poile letting Suter walk this summer with no return on that asset? Even if he wanted to, I can't imagine their ownership allowing it! :shock: Not after they allowed Hamhuis to walk last year. Sure, they could get a little something by trading his "rights" just before draft day. But nothing like they would get by a trade at the deadline!

And, then, there's Weber...So let's back off and look at the rest of that team. I think most people agree that their biggest need is more scoring forwards. At the moment, their highest paid forwards are Erat and Legwand at 4.5 mil. with Fisher at 4.2. With the exception of St Louis, the contending Western team with the next lowest salary cap is Detroit (can you believe it?). They have two forwards (Zetterberg and Datsyuk) earning north of 6 mil each. Amazing that the Preds are doing so well with their "no-name" offense, isn't it? But who believes that they will go deeply into the playoffs with that group of forwards? Plus, to add to their dilemma, both Kostytsin and Wilson will be due raises this summer. If they improved their forward offense, would they have a chance to re-sign Weber? I don't think so. But, if they lost both Weber and Suter, how would that go down in Nashville? :cry:

Unless some miracle happens with their accounting, they are not going to afford the likes of Getzlaf, Perry or Ryan. Let alone, Parise! So, they will be looking at those young, second tier forwards (ELC or RFA's) with developmental potential. We have a couple that would fit that bill - Coho, Raymond, for instance. I think they would also be in the hunt for another young up and coming D man (having lost Franson). If Weber is traded this summer, it will be for a "king's ransom" of a package! I imagine it would, at least, include one top young scoring forward; one NHL-ready young D, another prospect and a pick or two (1st round). Depending on the bidding war, it could go even higher! Would the Canucks be willing?

I imagine that the price for Suter, if he were available, at the deadline, would be quite a bit less, considering he could be just a rental (UFA this summer). What would you guess at? A young forward (not Coho) like Raymond and a pick? Or a D and a pick? As I may have mentioned before ( :wink: ), I think Suter would be almost as good an addition as Weber. He would also be a lot cheaper to get (at least short-term). His potential salary cap would probably be somewhat easier to manage (hello Gilman!). So, I say get her done, MG! 8-)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

what about a Nick Foligno from the sens?

any coments on how he might fit with this team?

I am thinking in the context of what he might bring to the bottom 6..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.