GDT: Canucks vs Ducks (8pm - Saskie time!)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

GDT: Canucks vs Ducks (8pm - Saskie time!)

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Sports Network) - The Anaheim Ducks have looked like a much better team as of late. They'll need to keep playing at that level tonight as they take on one of the top teams in the NHL, the Vancouver Canucks.

Vancouver hasn't been making a habit of losing. The Canucks notched a 3-2 road win over the Blues in overtime on Thursday for their fourth victory in five games.

Alexandre Burrows scored twice in regulation and Daniel Sedin scored on the power play 46 seconds into overtime. He took a feed from twin brother Henrik against a shorthanded Blues unit that also had a defender without a stick and converted it into his 700th career point.

"It's not easy to get the job done on the road sometimes, but we seem to find ways to win," said goaltender Roberto Luongo following a 31-save performance in the finale of a four-game road trip.

Henrik Sedin had two assists and leads the NHL with both 41 helpers and 52 points.

The Canuck will welcome winger David Booth to the lineup after missing 18 games with a knee injury. With the addition of Booth, the Canucks have all top nine forwards healthy for the first time this season.

Vancouver will play each of its next six games at home and is 12-5-2 as the host this year. It currently trails the Rangers for the most points in the NHL by one and is a point up on the Blues and Blackhawks for the lead in the West.

The Canucks and Ducks are meeting for the first time this season in Vancouver after splitting a pair of contests in Anaheim. The Canucks are 5-2-1 in their last eight at home versus the Ducks.

The Anaheim Ducks have looked like a much better team as of late. They'll need to keep playing at that level tonight as they take on one of the top teams in the NHL, the Vancouver Canucks.

The Ducks are coming off a 5-0 win over the Oilers on Friday, with Jonas Hiller making 33 saves for his second shutout of the season and 13th of his career. Corey Perry paced the offense by scoring twice.

Bobby Ryan, Teemu Selanne and Jason Blake all had a goal and Ryan Getzlaf posted four helpers for the Ducks, who have won four of five and improved to 7-9-3 since head coach Bruce Boudreau took over in late November.

Anaheim, though, still ranks 14th out of 15 teams in the West with 35 points, one back of Edmonton.

"Right now we're just taking it game by game and that's all you can do," said Blake. "We can't get back into the hunt if we don't win hockey games, so that is what we have to focus on doing."
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Ducks (8pm - Saskie time!)

Post by Cornuck »

Good call on the Central time in the GDT, MCP - maybe we should make that the standard. :D

Looking for a good game tonight, they should be rested up enough to take the Ducks out. Should we start a pool to see which period(s) they take off, though? :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Dan-Hank-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Rome
Ballard-Sulzer

(per Murphy)
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

^^^Booths return could be just what Higgins and Raymond need to boost their play. Both have been struggling of late.

Ballard slots back in at Alberts' expense. I'd like to see Ballard play his more comfortable left side and have Sulzer man the right.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Duco returned to Chicago as per Wolves.

Gillis & co. in full Optimum-Cap-Management mode now.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

It might take a few games for Booth to find his legs again. I like the look of our third line. Still think our defense needs to be bolstered and hope Gillis is looking for some help there.

Is Tanev really below Sulzer on the depth chart?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

cjc wrote: Is Tanev really below Sulzer on the depth chart?
Nope, but he's not eligible for waivers unlike the current top 8.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Nope, but he's not eligible for waivers unlike the current top 8.
Tanev has a good future, no need to rush him. He seemingly is a victim to a numbers game, and that is fine. The Detroit Model, remember?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Ducks are doing so poorly this year.

They are MUCH better than what they have showed.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Farhan Lalji wrote:For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Ducks are doing so poorly this year.

They are MUCH better than what they have showed.

Totally agree on that.

Their record is shameful given their talent base.

That should be a perennial 100+ point club.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

To add what was said, he is better off playing real minutes in Chicago rather than being part of the 5/6/7 merry-go-round.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

A lot of the Ducks problems stem from Hiller clearly not being 100% recovered from the vertigo to start the year. IT's only recently he's showing signs of returning to his normal level. When you tack on a disinterested Getzlaf and struggling blueline you get the season they've had. Playoffs dreams are done but I expect they'll get themselves to 12th or so.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I listened to MG talk about Tanev and he's very high on the guy. But he insists that he plays in all situation and gets' big minutes in Chicago to develop his game to the full
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dhabums wrote:
To add what was said, he is better off playing real minutes in Chicago rather than being part of the 5/6/7 merry-go-round.

The biggest benefit to playing in Chicago is that he's getting first unit power play time.

The Canucks think Tanev could be a good power play guy as well as a puck mover at even strength but he's never really had the opportunity to develop as a point man.

He has 12 points in his last 20 or so games so he seems to be improving a lot offensively.

Kind of a win / win at this point, we get to keep an extra defenseman on the roster and Tanev gets to work on his game..
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:A lot of the Ducks problems stem from Hiller clearly not being 100% recovered from the vertigo to start the year.
They are pretty thin after you get past the big 4-5 names.