Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by wienerdog »

I kinda like the spirit of this idea, but:

Call me crazy, but I just don't see Gillis ever approaching Quinn to do something like this.

They are both too big an ego, and it's hard to imagine MG handing the reigns of the public image of the organization to anyone - let alone a BMOC like Pat Quinn.

Besides, aside from the possible disadvantage that it might put us at with the League / refs, I don't think Gillis cares.

Maybe if the fans start climbing the walls, he'll do something about it, but right now, I think they are fine with the notoriety.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:B-Mac on 1040 was driving me insane for the drive-home tonight. Can't stand the guy. He's a legend in his own weird fucking mind.

Change the station?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

wienerdog wrote:I kinda like the spirit of this idea, but:

Call me crazy, but I just don't see Gillis ever approaching Quinn to do something like this.

They are both too big an ego, and it's hard to imagine MG handing the reigns of the public image of the organization to anyone - let alone a BMOC like Pat Quinn.

Besides, aside from the possible disadvantage that it might put us at with the League / refs, I don't think Gillis cares.

Maybe if the fans start climbing the walls, he'll do something about it, but right now, I think they are fine with the notoriety.

I think you're right he's (MG)a singular minded person. He has his line of reasoning set and won't be distracted...right or wrong.....probably his achillies heel
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

wienerdog wrote:I kinda like the spirit of this idea, but:

The spirit of the idea is all I was going for. :thumbs:

It'll never happen. Pretty sure Gillis and Quinn still resent each other from when Gillis was an agent. As a matter of fact, speaking of Bure, pretty sure Gillis was his agent and threatening to sue Canucks over non-payment of the signing bonus (Bure dropped Salcer for Gillis) on that huge contract back in the day. It was payable immediately but for some reason Canucks had to be hounded to cough it up.... about 3 months later I believe.

I could be wrong but I don't think Quinn and Gillis respect each other to this day.
Last edited by Strangelove on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote: "I don't get why he's so mad at ME for??"

Bure said later that the rumour sprang from Canuck's front office (I'm convinced twas George McPhee).

Between the two of them (Quinn & McPhee) they managed to completely alienate poor Pavel.

What I never understood about that whole story is that Pavel apparently held it against the Canucks for not defending him quickly or emphatically enough in that situation.

I'm not sure how you defend him any more aggressively then threatening to shit kick the guy who reported the story.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: What I never understood about that whole story is that Pavel apparently held it against the Canucks for not defending him quickly or emphatically enough in that situation.

I'm not sure how you defend him any more aggressively then threatening to shit kick the guy who reported the story.
Well the thing is the rumour sprang from Canucks management. There was alotta bad blood because Canucks were trying to lowball him and were badmouthing him in negotiations. He originally wanted a contract similar to that of Fedorov and Mogilny. Canucks brass were hesitant. If McPhee/Quinn had a problem with that they should've done a sign-and-trade rather than shit all over him. When Quinn tried to quash the false rumour there was already too much bad blood...

Canuck management try to quash a rumour that Canuck management created??

Bure had good reason to be pissed imo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Cornuck wrote:
cjc wrote:Most of the sports talk shows seem to be driven by twitter and message board rules. "Mass" media now is truly that, driven by the masses.
Good time to be in journalism when all you have to do is cruise the blogs with your morning coffee and grab some ideas.

As for the mass media being driven by the masses? Maybe in sports, but I think that for everything else we're told what to think, and the blogs and message boards offer different views. (ie: the run up to the Iran Iraq war.

The content available at blogging sites such as CanucksArmy are so far ahead of the traditional print media that it's kind of shocking that the province still carries so much staff.

If I ran that paper I would pretty much clean out everyone but Botch (who actually does a prety solid job) and then then sift through the multitude of bogs and buy the articles I liked for the main paper.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:

This part never made much sense.

Why go after Cherry if he is simply reporting the rumor you are trying to spread?

I know the management and ownership were a bit of a cluster back then, but I never really believed this part of the Bure story.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Why go after Cherry if he is simply reporting the rumor you are trying to spread?

I know the management and ownership were a bit of a cluster back then, but I never really believed this part of the Bure story.
Bure always vehemently denied the accusations and it appeared Pat Quinn did too. The problem was partially that Bure thought management didn't do enough to clear his name.

I have no idea where the rumour started but from everything I've heard about Pat Quinn (a guy I worked with knew Murray Craven) he was very upfront with the players, a straight shooter and a players' coach. It seems unlikely he would have been into spreading stories in order to force a player to sign a contract.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

cjc wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Bure always vehemently denied the accusations and it appeared Pat Quinn did too. The problem was partially that Bure thought management didn't do enough to clear his name.

I have no idea where the rumour started but from everything I've heard about Pat Quinn (a guy I worked with knew Murray Craven) he was very upfront with the players, a straight shooter and a players' coach. It seems unlikely he would have been into spreading stories in order to force a player to sign a contract.
Guys, it really looks like McPhee planted the story when you look at all the facts.

Then Quinn ran around trying to put out the fire.

McPhee was known for being super-emotional, vindictive, and taking things personally... so I can see it.

Good article here:
http://www.puckwatch.com/2010/12/why-pa ... ouver.html

Coles notes:

1. Bure arrived in LA waiting to meet with the Canucks who left him sitting for weeks.

2. Bure was asked to pay $50,000 of his salary towards buying him out of his Russian contract

3. After winning the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year, the Canucks felt he needed to prove his value more before signing a new contract.

4. After agreeing to a contract of similar value to Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Mogilny, the Canucks pulled the rug out from under Bure by making the numbers in Canadian dollars instead of American dollars, a very uncommon practice.

5. Canucks refused to pay a signing bonus they owed him.

6. Broken promises about moving Pavel, and a handful of other instances destroying trust.

"But by far the most significant reason for wanting to leave came when, he said, somebody in Vancouver management made up a story that Bure threatened to withdraw his services during the '94 playoff run to the Cup final. While Bure would in no way even indicate whom he thought it might be, reason would indicate it was either then-acting assistant GM George McPhee or then-owner Arthur Griffiths. Quinn has indicated to some insiders he was led to believe Bure had threatened to withdraw his services by 'my guy' but now says privately and publicly it never happened."

“About two months later, when I was starting slowly, they (most likely McPhee) told me, `You were lucky to get 60 goals,' and that I would never do it again. They told me I'd be lucky to get 30 again. I told them, Forget about the contract, just trade me. You don't trust me, just trade me.”
"My guy" has got to be Assistant GM McPhee imo.

No matter how you slice it though, Pavel was not treated well by Canuck management.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
No matter how you slice it though, Pavel was not treated well by Canuck management.
I tell ya I would've wanted out of a chicken shit outfit like that too. Imagine treating your breadwinning superstar like a future ex-wife?
Suddenly I'm not so pissed at him for "dumping" us.
If you need air...call it in
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

If the media didn't take the angles that they have been taking on the Canucks, what the hell would we as fans gripe about?

:P

It's a town with a one trick pony in terms of sports. Despite having the Lions and the Caps here, only thing this city truly follows, casual or not, are the Canucks, so they give angles that we hope to read and stir opinions. Last I looked from my creative writing classes and my journalism classes, to invoke emotion, whether negative or positive is much better than to have someone read your stuff and go 'meh' if you are a journalist.

I actually really like reading and listening to Jason Botchford. I don't always agree with him, but I do respect that he gives his reasoning for his opinions and doesn't back down from them.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I got to agree with the comments about our media. The only one I like is Bullis and his blog and Botchford. The rest of them are shameful. I sat and watched Gallagher get set up on air by a Boston media type. He all but served his whiny ass up on a plate for Thornton to dis. I do not like the Boston media but I do not get the Cherrys and Macleans. Milbury is just a douche bag. I suspect our media has followed the Canucks long enough to have Post Canuck Trauma disorder which has criteria including:
1. Patient exhibits urge to self denigrate in private while agreeing with doom sayers in public.
2. Patient develops high pitched tone in voice accompanied by tremors and an urge to wipe off sweat where none exists
3. Patient was absolutely positive we would win in 94 and still wakes up screaming at Mike Richter
4. The afflicted is stimulated by pictures taken of the back of Mark Messier's head under a bright light
5. Patient has secretely vowed to never take a stand on Canucks for the rest of their career.
6. Since onset of illness patient finds sexual satisfaction in shaving their head while wearing a wig in public.
7. While bald under the private view of self and others afflicted they come up behind each other in a conga line, grabbing the ears in front of them and screaming that they guarantee a cup. This is usually but not always accompanied by the wearing of a Mark Messier jersey.

Treatment options are limited and confined to wearing a Trevor Linden Jersey while covering the ECHL for a local rag. Needless to say, it is often refused when offered.
Orcasfan
CC Veteran

Post by Orcasfan »

Thanks, Mondi, for a great summation of the pathetic state of the local sports MSM! Totally agree! The papers are a joke, especially the Province. I do not understand why Gallagher still has a job! :look: And that idiot-filled 1040 mostly makes me shudder. I actually had some hope for Rintoule a while back - I figured he was young enough to maybe learn about hockey (instead of football!). I was wrong. :( I really don't get it....everyone knows that Vancouver is predominantly a hockey town, yet none of these so-called sports journalists knows squat about hockey! And, despite all their years yapping about it, they still haven't learned enough to have an intelligent discussion about the Canucks! Are they just very lazy buggers, or are they lacking something like curiosity? :look:

Actually, even though I do not appreciate Sekeris' attitude of shit-stirring to create a "story", he does appear to have a modicum of intelligence. His knowledge of (professional) sports is wider than his colleagues, though his hockey knowledge is still too low. Once again, though, it seems his main approach is focused on the hunt for a "story", as opposed to getting into the game itself!

And, like so many of us, I turn to the blogosphere to explore, learn and discuss all things Canucks! Though some discretion is essential there too! :wink:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Actually, even though I do not appreciate Sekeris' attitude of shit-stirring to create a "story", he does appear to have a modicum of intelligence. His knowledge of (professional) sports is wider than his colleagues, though his hockey knowledge is still too low
I reach for the off button every time he and Price get into a elementary school type argument
cheers