GDT: Jan 10: Canucks @ Lightning - 4:30pm SNet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Jan 10: Canucks @ Lightning - 4:30pm SNet-P

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:When 3 of your defenseman have the names Ballard, Sulzer and Alberts, that just ain't good at all.
Sulzer & Alberts didn't play great last night, but the whole team seemed out of gas in the third period.
However, they got two points, and the Bolts got a consolation point. Worked out OK, IMO.

Sulzer & Alberts play about where I'd expect them, as 7th & 8th D on an elite team.
What team can expect to have a defenceman like Corvo or Vlasic (for example) in the 7th or 8th place on the depth chart?
What other team has better depth than Vancouver D in the 7th through 9th spot?

AA is +4 in 30 games, Sulzer is +5 in 10 games BTW
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Take the Blues to win on Thursday.
Takes the Blues to romp to a win on Tuesday

Why do the visitors always appear first...I always believe it was courtesy, guest first always
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Listercat wrote:Actually Ballard, Sulzer and AA were even or better tonight.
Oh yeah, I expect the terrific trio of Ballard, Sulzer and Alberts to be lights out every game.

The Ballard / Alberts pairing has been consistently good for a fairly extended stretch. The three players you mentioned had nothing to do with the performance last night, it was Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler who are sucking win right now, which makes total scene given how much they have played.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Oh yeah, I expect the terrific trio of Ballard, Sulzer and Alberts to be lights out every game.

The Ballard / Alberts pairing has been consistently good for a fairly extended stretch. The three players you mentioned had nothing to do with the performance last night, it was Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler who are sucking win right now, which makes total scene given how much they have played.
All three guys were pretty brutal the last two games. I would assume that it has to do with the Boston game. Hopefully, they could get their act together for the St. Louis game. Else, it would be a long long night...
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Jovocop wrote: All three guys were pretty brutal the last two games. I would assume that it has to do with the Boston game. Hopefully, they could get their act together for the St. Louis game. Else, it would be a long long night...
From Boxing day to last night it has been 9 games in 16 days with travel to every corner of the continent. It's not just the Boston game, its a very brutal schedule. Put money on STL. Get through STL and it's 5 games at home in 16 days.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Knucklehead wrote: Otherwise we would have to say: "Vancouver playing at home with Edmonton visiting" which would be quite awkward.
Sounds like IKEA instructions or how to fix anything on a Saab.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Jovocop wrote: All three guys were pretty brutal the last two games. I would assume that it has to do with the Boston game. Hopefully, they could get their act together for the St. Louis game. Else, it would be a long long night...
From Boxing day to last night it has been 9 games in 16 days with travel to every corner of the continent. It's not just the Boston game, its a very brutal schedule. Put money on STL. Get through STL and it's 5 games at home in 16 days.
Wasn't just since boxing day, the sked has been brutal since basically the second week of December.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Get through STL and it's 5 games at home in 16 days.
Then we'll complain about not enough games.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dhabums wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: Get through STL and it's 5 games at home in 16 days.
Then we'll complain about not enough games.
An ideal situation would be a game every other night without traveling long haul... Sorry, I forgot that it is only a privilege for the Eastern teams... ;)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

The Ballard / Alberts pairing has been consistently good for a fairly extended stretch.
Whoa is me.'

The Horror, the horror, the horror.

Ballard sucks, Potatoe. You really waiver on this guy, you love him one minute, hate him the next. I think you are still hoping for those Brian Leetch-lite comparisons when we first got him, to come true. That is one big long rope your giving old KB4 $4.2 Mill.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: The Ballard / Alberts pairing has been consistently good for a fairly extended stretch.
Whoa is me.'

The Horror, the horror, the horror.

Ballard sucks, Potatoe. You really waiver on this guy, you love him one minute, hate him the next. I think you are still hoping for those Brian Leetch-lite comparisons when we first got him, to come true. That is one big long rope your giving old KB4 $4.2 Mill.
What is that, some kind of Dudian slip?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

wienerdog wrote: What is that, some kind of Dudian slip?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Knucklehead wrote:It's shorthand for: "Edmonton at Vancouver" how we say it in English.

Otherwise we would have to say: "Vancouver playing at home with Edmonton visiting" which would be quite awkward.
No, it's not an English thing, it's strictly North American. The English say the home team first:
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc ... l-vs-stoke

Liverpool vs Stoke, and as you can see it's played at Anfield, ie in Liverpool.

Every league I know in every sport I know post it like that, most common would be "Liverpool - Stoke", but you also see "Liverpool vs Stoke" or as in this case, at the official premier league site "Liverpool v Stoke". Home team first.

As for how they say it, I usually hear just "Liverpool Stoke" and the rest is just implied; as in "Liverpool Stoke two nil".

But then when I look at North American NHL sites, it's reverse order. Weird.
(As for baseball or the NFL version of rugby, no one outside of North America follows that, so I'll just deem them irrelevant. OK, the Japanese like baseball. Sorry. Still.)

Never mind. I'll just notch it down as another one of those refusing to follow international standards issues.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.