Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by dhabums »

Listercat wrote: Who amongst the educated hockey people would agree with or support Milbury's "thelma & Louise" rant?
Excuse my broken record routine, but Thelma and Louise aren't sisters and they most definitely kicked ass in that movie. Not only is Milbury ignorant, he is stupid.

I think we should find a character, real or fictional, noted for beating a young kid. Then start a strong campaign to have Milbury's identity linked to that personal permanantly.

Dan Savage redefined "Santorum". CC.com will redefine Milbury.
Last edited by dhabums on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Caught that, yep that Gilman is one cool cucumber. Intelligent & articulate. I love how HNIC's bias toward the Canucks is being exposed to the light of day lately. Had to chuckle when they brought up the Quin-Bure-Cherry incident after all these years. I'll never forget how truly fearful Cherry was when Quinn made it clear he wanted to punch him out. :lol:

In case some of you were wondering... THAT'S why Fred & I were discussing over drinks in this forum a few nights ago about hiring Quinn as Canucks PR/spokesman! :drink:

Damn, I couldn't find the clip where Cherry was shitting bricks about Quinn's threat to punch him out!

For wotever reason, CBC has always been prejudiced toward Vancouver-based teams.

Some say there is a huge CBC conspiracy against the Canucks.

Some say there is still a CBC conspiracy to have the Leaves portrayed as 'Canada's Team'.

Some say Leaf-suckage is due to the Hockey Gods conspiring against the Leaves because of the above.

I say we must all work together to spread hatred toward CBC and the Leaves. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Gallagher embarrasses Vancouver: LINK
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hah ha ha .... I remember that Doc. Apparently Quinn confronted Cherry in a restaurant and barked at him and threatened to kick the piss out of him. Cherry the yellow coward that he is wanted no part of it and swallowed his adams apple a few times and apparently his voice was pretty shaky when the big Irishman was giving him the whatfor.

Cornuck TG doesn't embarass me. yes he sounds like a tool but he is a media hack ffs, so he needs to be taken with a box of salt.

Meh.... I guess the inbreds are talking about it , but they talk about everything that goes on here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote:Gallagher embarrasses Vancouver: LINK
Tony Gallagher is such a moron, I dont even no where to begin...he's going on my 5 free shots list :evil:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

What I believe rings my bell when it comes to the media is not the reporting of the toughness aspect or rather the lack of it on the Vcr Roster. It's lack of balance in the reporting. Toughness is the ONLY aspect of Canuck hockey that is discussed. Journalists never dig a little deeper for instance admire the great skill on display particularly by the Sedin line, the skill and tenaciousness of Kesler, the fact Burrows might well enjoy another 30 goal season, the tandem of Luongo and Schneider is one of the best in the league and the Canucks will again be one of the top teams in the league. NO they keep their snouts firmly into tacky sensationalism and repeat ad nausea the same story in different ways again and again. If they actually gave a balanced account of the team most i believe could handle the one failing part of their game. But the way they report it, this sport is played in the Octagon rather than the rink.
cheers
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote:
Tony Gallagher is such a moron, I dont even no where to begin...he's going on my 5 free shots list :evil:
I was going to say all 5 go to him, but even with my flimsy punches 4 would be wasted.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Not a fan of Gallagher by any stretch, but the high-school phone ambush tactic of the Boston media was pretty childish, IYAM.

As I've said before, I'm done with the hockey media in general. Even outside of Vancouver-centric issues, the quality is intolerable.

Media in general has a flesh-eating disease.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Just listening to the Team 1040. They are beating the Boston-Canucks rivalry to death and, yes, just like their poll asks, I am getting sick of it.

Earlier, Kevin Allen from USA Today sports was on talking about how the media has been significantly influenced by the internet. I think he has a really good point. Most of the sports talk shows seem to be driven by twitter and message board rules. "Mass" media now is truly that, driven by the masses. I think Don Taylor was saying he'd love to get a panel of Vancouver fans vs. a panel of Boston fans and just let them go. Wow, why bother when you can find that on any general message board on the web?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

cjc wrote:Most of the sports talk shows seem to be driven by twitter and message board rules. "Mass" media now is truly that, driven by the masses.
Good time to be in journalism when all you have to do is cruise the blogs with your morning coffee and grab some ideas.

As for the mass media being driven by the masses? Maybe in sports, but I think that for everything else we're told what to think, and the blogs and message boards offer different views. (ie: the run up to the Iran Iraq war.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

B-Mac on 1040 was driving me insane for the drive-home tonight. Can't stand the guy. He's a legend in his own weird fucking mind.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Hah ha ha .... I remember that Doc. Apparently Quinn confronted Cherry in a restaurant and barked at him and threatened to kick the piss out of him. Cherry the yellow coward that he is wanted no part of it and swallowed his adams apple a few times and apparently his voice was pretty shaky when the big Irishman was giving him the whatfor.
:D

To be fair though, an completely enraged Pat Quinn would scare the piss outta most folk.

I'll never forget Cherry on C's C after that threat. He was TERRIFIED. :lol:

"I don't get why he's so mad at ME for??"

Bure said later that the rumour sprang from Canuck's front office (I'm convinced twas George McPhee).

Between the two of them (Quinn & McPhee) they managed to completely alienate poor Pavel.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Im beginning to think that Pat Quinn as an ambassador would be maybe a good idea, he does command respect, he did as a player and as a manager and coach. and now as a senior statesman he would be a great voice to squash pathetic bugs in the media in Boston and anywhere else they try the crap coming out of the east right.

while I know the embarrasment that went on the air in Boston the oher night with Thornton and Gallagher was made for the low brow, sloping foreheaded, knuckle draggers of the world. The way that Gallagher painted himself like Bozo the Clown he managed to spill the paint over all of the rest of us in Canucknation by association. A guy like Pat Quinn hopefully would cut through the brown loaffy stuff and get to the heart of the matter straight up and leave no room for Thornton trying to pretend he was fighting off seven guys after having his throat nearly sliced in two by Burrows. In fact one would think that if Thornton is a paid up member of the male gender, he would be Honoured to have a discussion with a hall of famer like Quinn.

As a matter of fact I remember seeing Quinn talk about the Canucks during last playoffs when he was asked by a reporter what winning the cup would mean for the franchise, and he spoke about legitimacy for the club. something he said that never has been granted by the establishment going all the way back to the first expansion team.

Yeah when I think about Quinn representing the club and guys like Gallagher or pick one of just about any of the other talking dickheads in the province...well its no contest really.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^^ Yep, Quinn commands respect, no doot aboot it.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:^^^^ Yep, Quinn commands respect, no doot aboot it.
Is there anyone else even remotely qualified?

Stan Smyl, Darcy Rota nada :cry:
when I think about it the Habs would have a list of former players coaches, living legends. The leaf and Oil both had salad years to draw from... I havent a clue about Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg as far as larger than life personalities tied to their past, so perhaps for any team other than the three above, Vancouver has something worth looking in to. I wonder what Gillis would think about doing something like that. they must have a PR department that has just had its ass handed to them in a brown paper wrapper over this most hated team in hockey thing since last June.
Pat Quinn
they could retire his number as a player and put him on the ring of honour if isnt already and give him a modest stipend that they would match to charity of his choice to be the voice of the Canucks on the diplomatic front.
:thumbs:
Hats off to you and fred for thinking about of it
:thumbs: