Muzac For Munsters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Muzac For Munsters

Post by Per »

Saw Santana at a soccer Stadium in Gothenburg back in '84. Double header with Bob Dylan, and they had Nick Lowe and his Cowboy Outfit open for them.

Should have been good, but I was in the army back then, and me and my buddies had settled for the cheap tickets, so we were at the far end of the stadium, could hardly see them and the sound wasn't good either. :(

Learnt from that and next year, when I saw Springsteen at the same stadium, I had tickets for the actual field, right in front of the stage. Quite a difference! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Topper wrote:
Hoss wrote:Neko's got a killer voice, but I still think alt country is where old rockers go to get lame.
John Doe, Dave Alvin, Mojo Nixon, Alejandro Escavedo, HankIII
Escovedo is underrated by a landslide- that guys has some serious talent.

I saw KD Lang of all people recently and was pretty impressed. Really, that guy...err girl never misses her key and the voice is fantastic- not a fan of her song writing though.

Phish are coming back to form too but most people need 3 minutes or less to enjoy music so that's out of most of the MTV generation attention span.

I'm a live music guy, I like long jams and exploratory playing when I see a band/musician.

Santana used to be that guy but I'l cut him some slack now. first time I saw him was 87 at the Orpheum and it was seriously sick!! Hope it was a good show on the weekend.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Arachnid, you can listen to the new AA Bondy album 'Believers' here - http://www.npr.org/2011/09/04/140117359 ... -believers After a few listens already, I would say it's the best album I've heard all year. Killer.

He's coming to the Media club early October.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Arachnid, you can listen to the new AA Bondy album 'Believers' here - http://www.npr.org/2011/09/04/140117359 ... -believers After a few listens already, I would say it's the best album I've heard all year. Killer.

He's coming to the Media club early October.
Hey BD, I just bought it and I do like it very much. I love the review that said it makes 3AM insomnia sexy. That about sums it up.
Also bought the new Wilco The Whole Love Deluxe LP and am very happy with it. Listening to it on the Grados while working in AutoCad...heavenly...now where's my coffee and cigarettes?!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

A new local band I've been getting it to lately is The Darcys. If you like Radiohead/Arcade Fire you may dig it. You can download their new album for free. Amazing live.... http://thedarcys.ca/

Speaking of which...I mentioned Fucked Up and their 12 hour live gigs are legendary...I know there are a lot of Punks on here so in the Post-Punk era is anything more relevant? This band continues to defy any stereotype...their latest is a Punk Opera (not American Idiot by any means)...The story is of love, lost and redeemed in a factory during Thatcher England...

If you want to get a brilliant album (remember that concept?) this year make it David Comes to Life

http://lookingforgold.blogspot.com/

You will not be disappointed

Heh, I like the ol' lady tunes BikerDude got me into butt, I'm a very angry man underneath... 8-)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Speaking about local bands, the Hanson Brothers (aka NoMeansNo) and the Invasives are coming to my area in spring.... :rockin:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:
Heh, I like the ol' lady tunes BikerDude got me into butt, I'm a very angry man underneath... 8-)
Lol. Hey, cut me some slack, I'm getting old, I'm in Dad Rock territory now, Sad Bastard music. Retired the electric gear and now happily strumming my larivee and gibson acoustic, couch side, experimenting with open tunings, enjoying the sweet sounds of Nick Drake and Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon).

But don't you worry, I do like to crank up the Drive By Truckers, The Sadies and the Black Keys every once in a while. Don't mind the throw-back Joy Division sounds of the National every once in a blue moon.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Lol. Hey, cut me some slack, I'm getting old, I'm in Dad Rock territory now, Sad Bastard music. Retired the electric gear and now happily strumming my larivee and gibson acoustic, couch side, experimenting with open tunings, enjoying the sweet sounds of Nick Drake and Mark Kozelek (Sun Kil Moon).

But don't you worry, I do like to crank up the Drive By Truckers, The Sadies and the Black Keys every once in a while. Don't mind the throw-back Joy Division sounds of the National every once in a blue moon.
Glad you brought up the The National, they were here at CBC recently and performed with Bon Iver. Good solid band.

Still have Sun Kil Moon on my pod, I am such an eclectic bugger though, jazz, rock, classic, old country, R'n'B, podcasts....contemporary, retro.... I don't care as long as it's got some hurt'n soul to it

Going to see Sadies & Fucked Up next week....just in time for Christmas.... 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This is the best music video I've seen in a long while, it's a video for a new Black Keys tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:This is the best music video I've seen in a long while, it's a video for a new Black Keys tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8
I love ya dude, and you know it, but holy crap are you late to the party. Remember when you were young and there was always that old man that thought he was sharing new, hip info? You are now that guy. Lol, "new".
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Speaking of old I was going through my CD collection the other day, thought I'd listen to some of the stuff that's been collecting dust for the last decade. Right now I am on the Ween album "The Mollusk"

Takes me back..
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

RoyalDude wrote:This is the best music video I've seen in a long while, it's a video for a new Black Keys tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8
Cool, i heard that on radio before.

Here's another interesting stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcGNN9r1D4

They're from Sweden..
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:
I love ya dude, and you know it, but holy crap are you late to the party. Remember when you were young and there was always that old man that thought he was sharing new, hip info? You are now that guy. Lol, "new".
dhapoobreath, why are you and I just not on the same page? Late to the Party for what? Sharing new, hip info? WTF, are you going on about lad? You saying I am late to the Black Keys or something? Please explain dhajackass. Cause I've been a Black Keys fan for a long time, is that what you getting at? I'm new to them???? I was just sharing wit u their new vid in which I think is pretty coo. Don't you?

Curious to know what is jingling your ears these days dhafecalfetish, you seem to never offer up any info to us cause that would put you in the vulnerable position of being criticized. Please, feel free to offer us any information on what makes you so much more groovier than us.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Good call Brian
RoyalDude wrote: dhapoobreath.... dhajackass.... dhafecalfetish
lol the more things change the more they remain the same...

Hey Dude wot's up with all the angst of late pal?? Hey, I couldn’t help but notice... in Blobby’s “Five Free Shots” thread... that you wanna punch about 6 billion people in the schnozzola! :shock: Like omG: REPENT DUDE!!! How in HELL are we ever gonna achieve world peace with that kind of attitude good buddy?? Wuddupwiddatdude? We haven’t seen this degree of anti-religious rants, anti-anyone-who-doesnt-believe-your-conspiracy-theory rants outta you since your unholy alliance with.... whats-his-puppy... back in the day! :lol:

BTW please feel free to post your ideas in the Conspiracy Theory thread.

Peace and may God bless,

Your ole pal Stranglegrove

*smacks Chico with rolled-up newspaper as whats-his-puppy rolls over in grave *
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Enjoying the new Damien Jurado album Maraqopa. This is a very nice tune from the album called Working Titles - http://harmondrive.com/2012/02/17/damie ... ng-titles/