11/12 Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Re: 11/12 Injury Thread

Post by rockalt »

Just deleted my post on Salo's concussion as I just saw we have an injury thread. Here's TSN's article:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384561

I'm not really surprised given how he landed on the back of his head. I was actually surprised most thought it was the shoulder as his head was the first point of contact. I suppose there's a good chance it could be both.

It's a really tough break for an injury-prone player who was on pace for his longest season since the lockout. To get taken out by such a dirty hit must be really frustrating. I'm curious to see what Marchand gets if anything. Not holding my breath for anything more than a game or two.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

tantalum wrote:Various canuck based media twits are tweeting that Booth has been medically cleared. Up to him to decide when he is ready.
This is really great news at least. I guess it will take awhile for him to catch up to speed but he was showing some real promise on that second line before going down.

Raymond's starting to revert back to his useless ways. Okay that's harsh because he's still great on the PK but I don't expect much from him offensively. I think we reunite Booth on the American line and drop Raymond to the third. Either that or drop Higgins to create a more balanced attack. Either way, I really like the look of our second and third lines.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

rockalt wrote:
tantalum wrote:Various canuck based media twits are tweeting that Booth has been medically cleared. Up to him to decide when he is ready.
Raymond's starting to revert back to his useless ways. Okay that's harsh because he's still great on the PK but I don't expect much from him offensively. I think we reunite Booth on the American line and drop Raymond to the third. Either that or drop Higgins to create a more balanced attack. Either way, I really like the look of our second and third lines.
Raymond came out guns a blazin' for the first half dozen games, but I'd have to agree that offensively his chances have come fewer and further between since his hot start. If Gillis is looking to make a major move in the next month, my money is on Raymond as one of the key parts to a deal going out. Booth, Higgens, and Hansen make Raymond the expendable part IMO.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Couldn't agree more about Raymond. He's a decent player, nice kid but for all the flash and dash the numbers aren't there. He's the 9th best forward on this team when healthy and for my money I'd like to see a bit more chutzpah out of that top nine guys. He's the obvious choice to be punted at the deadline if MG can find a dance partner.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I agree Blob. If you can make a hockey deal by gaining some grit and balls while not losing too much of the speed, defensive play and PK ability that Raymond has it's a move you look at making right now. I would sort of hate to see it as the kid has really grown on me but fact is he is being passed on the depth chart by the three H's and Booth this season while already being behind the obvious ones. 9th best is about right at this point even if injury gave those other guys a chance to shine. If that hockey move is there you do it.

I know RD isn't a Ryan fan and he is not one to initiate physical play as much as he should but I sort of salivate over a Ryan-Kesler-Booth line. Three guys over 200 lbs, two of them can skate like the wind and the third can skate well and all three go to the net. It may force a team like the Bruins to switch the Chara pairing over to that line because of the size and strength and style of play involved. Allowing the twins to feast on a lesser pairing. Alternatively think Perry though I think it will be Ryan that is moved ahead of Getzlaf and Perry.

It'll never happen of course as I don't think the canucks have the pieces for that deal but I can dream can't I?

Of course Ballard would have to be moved to make money work and that would make S_C happy, though one Grabner seemed to get benched last night and has been dropped back to the third line I believe (though it's hard to tell what is the 2nd, 3rd or 4th line on that team. They have the Tavares line and then the others).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Duco has been recalled and is set to play in FLA.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

tantalum wrote: It'll never happen of course as I don't think the canucks have the pieces for that deal but I can dream can't I?
Of course it will never happen, which brings me to this Tant. Why even talk about such a wingnut trade scenario in the first place? You just waxed on for a whole paragraph, even drawing up new lines etc., only to follow up with, "it will never happen".

My god bro, what's happened to your hockey intellect of late?

I just love how everyone goes on about the importance of Malhotra for his defensive play, even though he has arguably been the worst forward all year, refusing to acknowledge that there is no room for his services in the line-up with the emergence of CoHO creating a gluttony of centres , yet you all can't get rid of Raymond fast enough who is one of our best two-way forwards on the team, probably fastest skater and best phone booth stick handler. Be careful trading this guy, remember he is still young and inexpensive.

It's only our 4th line that needs tweaking and you don't lose a Raymond to fix your 4th line. In case you have forgotten, we are probably the best team in the league at the momment and just beat last years Stanley Cup Champions in their own barn. How the fuck does Bobby 'the sloth' Ryan make us any better? Offense is not the problem.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
tantalum wrote: It'll never happen of course as I don't think the canucks have the pieces for that deal but I can dream can't I?
Of course it will never happen, which brings me to this Tant. Why even talk about such a wingnut trade scenario in the first place? You just waxed on for a whole paragraph, even drawing up new lines etc., only to follow up with, "it will never happen".

I just love how everyone goes on about the importance of Malhotra for his defensive play, even though he has arguably been the worst forward all year, refusing to acknowledge that there is no room for his services in the line-up with the emergence of CoHO creating a gluttony of centres , yet you all can't get rid of Raymond, a winger I may add, fast enough who is one of our best two-way forwards on the team, probably fastest skater and best phone booth stick handler. Be careful trading this guy, remember he is still young and inexpensive.

The problem with Maholtra is two fold. One he has a NTC and two he does not have great trade value. He does have some value but certainly not as much as he had before his eye injury. I think he is staying. The idea of trading Raymond is exactly because he has good trade value. I like Raymond. I don't want him traded. But if he want to upgrade he may be a piece that has to go. But the bottom line is, is that he has to be an upgrade, not just a trade for the sake of a trade.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:

I just love how everyone goes on about the importance of Malhotra for his defensive play, even though he has arguably been the worst forward all year, refusing to acknowledge that there is no room for his services in the line-up with the emergence of CoHO creating a gluttony of centres , yet you all can't get rid of Raymond, a winger I may add, fast enough who is one of our best two-way forwards on the team, probably fastest skater and best phone booth stick handler. Be careful trading this guy, remember he is still young and inexpensive.
If your analysis is correct, the Canucks will never be able to make a hockey trade from now on. As for trading, I believe that you have to give something to get something... What is the current value of Malhotra?? Raymond is an asset that MG could use to get a physical top-nine forward.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

The problem with Maholtra is two fold. One he has a NTC and two he does not have great trade value. He does have some value but certainly not as much as he had before his eye injury. I think he is staying. The idea of trading Raymond is exactly because he has good trade value. I like Raymond. I don't want him traded. But if he want to upgrade he may be a piece that has to go. But the bottom line is, is that he has to be an upgrade, not just a trade for the sake of a trade.
Holy fuck, why do we need upgrading? Have you not looked at the standings lately? Where do we need upgrading, please feel free to explain? Not our top 9 forwards, so where then? I only see a need for tweaking on our 4th line, Weise is fucking useless, gets beat by non-fighters all the time and looked like an ass for the stunt he pulled on Thornton. Malhotra sucks, the only good thing on the 4th line is Lapierre.

Heres an idea regarding Malhotra, scratch him. Trade a pick or prospect for some decent 4th line presence in the toughness department. I suggested up and coming UFA Tootoo. I guarantee you he will be wearing another jersey come trade deadline.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

If your analysis is correct, the Canucks will never be able to make a hockey trade from now on. As for trading, I believe that you have to give something to get something... What is the current value of Malhotra?? Raymond is an asset that MG could use to get a physical top-nine forward.
OK Jovo, here's an idea, offer some suggestions if it's the right thing to do to trade Raymond, and pulllllleeeease, do not bring up a Bobby Ryan type suggestion.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Holy fuck, why do we need upgrading? Have you not looked at the standings lately? Where do we need upgrading, please feel free to explain? Not our top 9 forwards, so where then? I only see a need for tweaking on our 4th line, Weise is fucking useless, gets beat by non-fighters all the time and looked like an ass for the stunt he pulled on Thornton. Malhotra sucks, the only good thing on the 4th line is Lapierre.

Heres an idea regarding Malhotra, scratch him. Trade a pick or prospect for some decent 4th line presence in the toughness department. I suggested up and coming UFA Tootoo. I guarantee you he will be wearing another jersey come trade deadline.

And where did I say we needed upgrading? I didn't. I said the only way I trade Raymond is for an upgrade not just to make a trade. In other words I agree with you. I wouldn't trade Raymond to bring in a 4th liner, and the 4th line is the only area we need to improve on, and now perhaps defence with the Salo concussion.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Of course it will never happen, which brings me to this Tant. Why even talk about such a wingnut trade scenario in the first place? You just waxed on for a whole paragraph, even drawing up new lines etc., only to follow up with, "it will never happen".

OK Jovo, here's an idea, offer some suggestions if it's the right thing to do to trade Raymond, and pulllllleeeease, do not bring up a Bobby Ryan type suggestion.
Do you really think Ryan is untouchable? To be honest, I would rather have Getzlaf than Ryan. Since I am not a GM, I am not sure an offer with Raymond + Ballard + 1st rounder would be enough to get Getzlaf... Perhaps a blue chip prospect is needed as well...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
Do you really think Ryan is untouchable? To be honest, I would rather have Getzlaf than Ryan. Since I am not a GM, I am not sure an offer with Raymond + Ballard + 1st rounder would be enough to get Getzlaf... Perhaps a blue chip prospect is needed as well...
I gather nobody is untouchable on the Ducks right now, but does one rough season after a good one enough reason to tear it all down and start again? I highly doubt we see any 'rebuild' program there, in which an ousting of the core players happens.

Here is how I figure out in my head if a trade is do-able, Jovo. It's quite simple and not hard to do, you should try it out some time. What I do is I put myself in the position of the other team as their GM, if I had a player like Ryan Getzlaf on my team, would I trade him for a Raymond, Ballard and a 1st round pick? Hmmm, lets break it down, Ballard sucks and our 1st round pick will be pretty much a high 2nd round pick cause it seems to me that we should be finishing in the top 5 of the league, making our pick anywhere from 25 to 30. Factor in all that, are you trading a Ryan Getzlaf for the package you suggest?

Beyond that, why do we need a Bobby Ryan anyways. I thought toughness was our problem. At last look, we seem to be doing quite well offensively. I seem to have noticed that there are two players in the top 3 in scoring of the NHL called Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin who play for the Vancouver Canucks. Throw in Kesler, Burrows and a good group of secondary scoring, well, lets just say, scoring ain't our problem. That being said, it will take more than a Raymond to land Ryan to make the Ducks to even want to consider like a Hodgson or a Schneider and that my friend is where the deal doesn't get done, never will.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RoyalDude wrote: I only see a need for tweaking on our 4th line, Weise is fucking useless, gets beat by non-fighters all the time and looked like an ass for the stunt he pulled on Thornton. Malhotra sucks, the only good thing on the 4th line is Lapierre.
Dude speaks the truth.

I give Manny more credit for last season than you may, but as far as this year goes, the guy really is struggling. You're right to point out he wears the goat horns for the 3rd goal yesterday. Having said that, I've noticed some marginal improvements in his game, but he still has a long way to go before I would feel comfortable putting him out during key defensive moments if the playoffs started tomorrow.

Due to his lack of offensive ability as a centre, I like Manny better on the 4th line, especially with Cody playing well on the third, but unless Malhotra's game improves significantly, I can't say that he will be a regular forward come the playoffs. He won't be dumped for nothing or sent to Manitoba for a number of reasons.

In fairness to Weise, I think he's been serviceable for a waiver pick-up, but I'd love to find an improvement by the deadline. He's a good stop gap player who can hold his own, but he's not a difference maker in any sense, and on this team even the 12th regular forward needs to bring something tangible to the table. Maybe Weise develops something over time, but he's not there right now.

As for making a significant trade, yes I'd love to get Perry for that package, but no fucking way that's happening unless Murray feels unreasonably nostalgic over his time with the Canucks organization. IMO, there's no need whatsoever to trade any of our top 9 forwards. One of the Canucks advantages this season is their incredible depth that has arguably 3 top-6 players on the third line, so unless there's a top pairing d-man or first line winger coming in return, I don't move any of those pieces. Obviously if a great deal comes along MG will make it, but I wouldn't hold my breath, especially over a rumor started by some mongoloid over at CDC.