GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Jovocop wrote: Unfortunately, like you just said, Thornton will not fight Orr... because he is simply a coward. Same could be said about Lucic. He will pick guys like Kesler and Burrows to beat up but refuses to fight someone his own size.
Gotta argue with you on this. Thornton is a true heavyweight. I cant find any youtube fights where Orr does anything more than tie a fight with Shawn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubMIUMa6Cx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3omW3VrcANg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaqy-nPZzE
Even Lucic stood in against Orr. He got a broken shnoz from it ya but hes not all pussy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzecGFw2M_o
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need air...call it in
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Unfortunately, like you just said, Thornton will not fight Orr... because he is simply a coward. Same could be said about Lucic. He will pick guys like Kesler and Burrows to beat up but refuses to fight someone his own size.
Gotta argue with you on this. Thornton is a true heavyweight. I cant find any youtube fights where Orr does anything more than tie a fight with Shawn.
I miss Aaron Volpatti. Enough said.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

After watching that clip, I'm glad that NHLN-US showed the Sportsnet feed. What a bunch of over the top homers (complete with the nasally Bawstan accent).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote:After watching that clip, I'm glad that NHLN-US showed the Sportsnet feed. What a bunch of over the top homers (complete with the nasally Bawstan accent).
When Mike Peca played in the NHL they used to snigger and carry on when saying his name. Enough said right there...
If you need air...call it in
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Watching some of the game again and you can see how gassed the Bruins were in the third. All there running around and extra stuff after whistles wore them out. All they could do the back half of the third is ice the puck. When they did get the puck in the zone no one was getting to the front of the net that easily. Quite simply I don't think the Bruins can play that type of game and then keep up with a team that can skate...and with Kesler and Higgins healthy the canucks can skate a lot better than they did in the spring.

Personally the winds of change seem to be around and the in general the other teams in the NHL are tired of the Bruins. It really started to gain some momentum when Lucic ran Miller and the NHL failed in their duty to discipline Lucic. That pissed more than the Sabres off. It pissed everyone off. This Marchand hit as done the same thing as he hit the one of the few players in the league that has played the game honorably every shift of his career and hurt that guy. It hasn't gone over well at all in the hockey world. Hell even Boston based writers have commented how dirty it was.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Looked like a playoff game .. except they called the penalties.. Our Goaltending, PK and PP units won the game for us ..
Marchands hit on Salo was despicable and deserves a long suspension - though I doubt it will happen ... The good thing is that Marchand being penalized 5 gave Hodgson and Sedin the 2 goals to win the game.. Marchand being a thorn in the side of the Sedin's up to then.. 5 on 5 the Bruins played well enough to win.. The stupid penalty lost them the game. The Sedins did play a bit tougher game than I expected though they were on the ice for the first 2 Boston goals..Good to see Weise and Lappy standing up to the big bad Bruins but tough to lose Ebbet and Salo to injury...

Maybe a preview of this years SCF? Lets hope they call the penalties the same as this game...
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Loved that game ! That said the B's were playing their third game in three and a half days so I could understand if they weren't a bit gassed. Canucks need Bieksa to play a bit nastier in a game like that and maybe step up a weight class( ie Lucic) . I'd still like to see MG add a couple pieces at the deadline..... hello Tim Gleason and Tim Jackman perhaps.

Not sure if the refs will call games like that in the post season but I'll take the win against those punks any day.

Marchand is a cunt. Gutless piece of shit in the Bobby Clarke/Ken Linseman mold who plays tough because he has an army of apes behind him. All three of those losers played they way they did because they played on the toughest team in the NHL. None of them would have the balls to play as dirty as they did if they were on a passive team.

I'd like to see Marchand get Drapered. Maybe Cody can coax C Lemieux out of retirement.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

TIM Gleason, TIM Jackman and dare I say TIM Hunter!

Sure Hunter is old and all but if anyone can go nose to nose with Marchand it would be him.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

We won the battle but lost the war.

Imagine if this was game 1 of the SCF. We lose both Salo AND Ebbett? Big deal, we won one game and proceeded to lose a top 4 defenseman and a 4th line plug (that was actually playing quite well).

The playoffs are a war of attrition and I don't think we don't have the genetics to compete.

Sure the Nucks could have beat the B's in a 7 game series if everyone was healthy. The reality is, the Nucks will NEVER be 100% healthy in the SC final based on the physical make up of the team. How close to 100% healthy we'll be is based on luck and based on how physically durable our players are. History shows, our team wears down.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Nice photo of Lucic leaving the ice

http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnh ... 96653.jpeg
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

mathonwy wrote:We won the battle but lost the war.

Imagine if this was game 1 of the SCF. We lose both Salo AND Ebbett? Big deal, we won one game and proceeded to lose a top 4 defenseman and a 4th line plug (that was actually playing quite well).

The playoffs are a war of attrition and I don't think we don't have the genetics to compete.

Sure the Nucks could have beat the B's in a 7 game series if everyone was healthy. The reality is, the Nucks will NEVER be 100% healthy in the SC final based on the physical make up of the team. How close to 100% healthy we'll be is based on luck and based on how physically durable our players are. History shows, our team wears down.
If the league allows slashing, cross-checking, punching, whacking and hacking in the playoffs without calling penalties, the Canucks will always be in tough. How many of the Canucks injuries in the last playoffs were by-products of cheap shots from the Sharks and Bruins?? During the Sharks series, at least the Canucks were healthy enough to put the Sharks away with the powerplays. However, once the Canucks reached the SCF, the key players were badly injured. Having one or two big tough guys might help but I highly doubted the injuries would have prevented. Unless the zebras have the balls to call all the cheapshots after whistles or Shanahan starts suspending dirty players, the result would be pretty much the same. :evil:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:

Even Lucic stood in against Orr. He got a broken shnoz from it ya but hes not all pussy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzecGFw2M_o
Yeah, I am sure that he is not a pussy cuz he is good at beating up his girlfriend... 8-)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The B's scheduled the game early to try and throw off the Canucks so they can't use the tired excuse. Also they basically coasted through the Calgary game and still won.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:TIM Gleason, TIM Jackman and dare I say TIM Hunter!

Sure Hunter is old and all but if anyone can go nose to nose with Marchand it would be him.

The Telethon Line?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

wienerdog wrote:
5) Malhotra. The man may not be full value on his $2.5M contract post-injury, but he is still a huge part of this team's defense. His play has been steadily improving, and I remember AV or MG saying conditioning was an issue due to the fact he couldn't work out due to pressure in the eyeball. He's making strides.

For anyone who expects more than just un-flashy defensive play from MM, you're not going to get it. He's terrible offensively (remember the bitching about our third line this time last season?) and he's clumsy with the puck. Me, I don't care. I care what he does without the puck and when the opposition has it. He's our key faceoff guy and is the heart of our PK.

A
Just curious wienerdog, what your thoughts were on Boston's 3rd goal and why it happened, cause nobody seems to want to talk about this, or I think what it is, is that when Malhotra fucks up royally, people turn a blind eye like the parents of a psychotic out of control child, do. Kind of like brushing it quietly under the carpet hoping nobody notices.

Let me remind, draw you up the scenario the best that I can from memory, Daniel Sedin was in the box, it was 4 on 4 hockey. A face-off is set in our end of the ice, here comes the great face-off man, Malhotra. Important Face-Off No. 1 - Manny loses to Krejci, puck ends up going into the mesh after, setting it up for 'Important Face-Off No. 2 in our zone. Manny loses again, but here is the kicker, instead of doing what all centreman are suppose to do after the face-off in their zone, and that is stay with opposing face-off/center-man cause he is suppose to be your check, what does the Genius of Manny do, he for some reasons goes after the point man whom ends up with the puck that Krejci won on his 2nd face-off, leaving Krejci unchecked and alone in a great scoring position in front of our net, cause Manuel there is chasing the point man with another one of our players. Complete brilliance, but ssssssshhhhh, we don't need to bring this up any.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau