GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote:Boston really fucked everyone by asking for such an early game.

Considering the magnitude of the game, it really is surprising how nobody from NHL management didn't push for Saturday night game.

(puts on the tin foil hat)
The NFL is starting their playoffs today so you knew the NHL would bend over backwards not to get in their way. But it is kind of surprising that the Canucks-Bruins, last years cup finalists and arguably the two best teams in hockey, get shifted to an ungodly hour, when the Patriots aren't playing.

It might say something that Detroit and Toronto are playing at the same time as the Lions. That's the pull the Maple leaves and CBC have, I suppose... Edmonton-Dallas is a 2pm EST time start ahead of the 430 Bengals-Texans game.

GoalieDad wrote:I don't know how the decision to start Schneider says nothing good about the Coach's trust in Luongo. And if the de-facto Number 1 guy is already mentally "fragile", surely this only aggravates that problem.
He tried to take the emotion out of the game. The Canucks tried to play that way to start, and the Bruins have succeeded in dragging them into the trenches. IF the Canucks play this game like they're supposed to, like a well-oiled PP machine, they will be fine. If they try to out-muscle the Bruins...

Starting Schneider takes a lot of the emotion out of the game. Luongo has NOTHING to gain by playing this game. If he wins, the media will simply say he's a regular season goalie that falters in the playoffs. If he loses, the Bruins are in his head and he's fragile. It says nothing about the room or the teams' confidence in Luongo, just like all the idiots claiming he was "done" earlier in the season...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Fun 20 minutes. Pretty much what I was expecting.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I thought Vancouver started off really well and took it to them with quick, precise puck movement. But once Marchand evened the score, the team began to lose focus. The Sedins in particular are spending too much time talking and are already completely off their game.

Kesler brought his 'A' game, as did Hansen. Good for Weiss for dropping them with Horton as he fared well, and I have no problem with the gamesmenship he tried with Thornton, but he shouldn't have been penalized for not dropping his gloves. I assume it had something to do with the ref interfering prior to the the puck drop.

The PP stinks right now, the Sedins are a big reason for this. They need to refocus, regroup and get a quick one to start the second with the man advantage.

That was your man Bieksa! :mad:
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

dbr wrote:I'm listening to Jack Edwards on the NESN feed.. painful.
Me too. Painful is an understatement.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BladesofSteel wrote:I thought Vancouver started off really well and took it to them with quick, precise puck movement. But once Marchand evened the score, the team began to lose focus. The Sedins in particular are spending too much time talking and are already completely off their game.

Kesler brought his 'A' game, as did Hansen. Good for Weiss for dropping them with Horton as he fared well, and I have no problem with the gamesmenship he tried with Thornton, but he shouldn't have been penalized for not dropping his gloves. I assume it had something to do with the ref interfering prior to the the puck drop.

The PP stinks right now, the Sedins are a big reason for this. They need to refocus, regroup and get a quick one to start the second with the man advantage.

Yes, I seriously have no idea what Bieksa was thinking... He let go off that fuxking rat...
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

ukcanuck wrote:wow great game so far, but fuck its hard to listen to the announcers what homer bullshit. what ever happened to objectivity?
ukcanuck are you watching the Boston feed as well? I was curious so watched the first period with their feed. Unbelievably biased which I suppose shouldn't be surprising but considering the Bruins' conduct during the first period, I would have thought they would be a little more objective.

I just switched to the Canucks feed and Kypreos ain't showing the Canucks much love either. Pretty laughable when you consider the Bruins, ie. the Champions who have nothing to prove in this game have been instigating the majority of scraps. This game could get really ugly. Thank god they tossed out Lucic.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

BladesofSteel wrote:I thought Vancouver started off really well and took it to them with quick, precise puck movement. But once Marchand evened the score, the team began to lose focus. The Sedins in particular are spending too much time talking and are already completely off their game.

Bang on with your assessment BladesofSteel. The Sedins looked really good on an early 5-on-5 shift but have completely lost their focus ever since. Would like to see them regroup and avoid the errant passes. They've been responsible for far too many giveaways.

Schneider looks surprisingly shaky but hopefully will settle down. I know it's a bit off topic but I agree with the decision to start him. At the end of the day this game is just a regular season tally and it's worth sucking as much emotion out of it as possible. Judging by the first period, it's going to be pretty hard to do!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fuck is Ballard useless. What a lame bit of hockey playing that was setting up that Bruins player right out front.

Malhotra won a face off yet? Holy fuck this guy has to go. You don't need him when you have Lapierre. CoHo has won the 3rd line centre spot. Get rid of Manny 'Ryan Johnson' Malhotra.

Ballard and Malhotra need to go, bring in the grit factor.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Sedins are looking awfully cute out there..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BladesofSteel wrote: Good for Weiss for dropping them with Horton as he fared well, and I have no problem with the gamesmenship he tried with Thornton, but he shouldn't have been penalized for not dropping his gloves. I assume it had something to do with the ref interfering prior to the the puck drop.
Wow, Horton is a reeeeaaaalll tough customer. Our so called designated tough guy gets tuned by Nathan Horton, you see Horton buckle his knees half way through the fight, that is almost as bad as getting beat by Trevor Linden in a fight. Also, you don't pull a player into a fight then back off turning to the refs "What did I do?" Just a shameful act. He's got to go, time to give Bitz or Duco a turn.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

That is one of the worst power plays I've ever seen.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Nucks have let this one get away from them.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:Nucks have let this one get away from them.
there is still lots of hockey left
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BCReefer here - trouble logging on with my normal handle and waiting for Mod help (pls L)

Canucks #1 PP needs something to change, way too much passing and not enough shots.

Edler is not having his best game, making a lot of mental mistakes in one of the most important games of the season.

As suggested the Nucks are letting this get away from them, they are losing their focus and need to finish the game a hell of a lot better than we have seen for the last 10 minutes. On the PP I would start #2 first and get the #1 against the 2nd PK unit.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: Good for Weiss for dropping them with Horton as he fared well, and I have no problem with the gamesmenship he tried with Thornton, but he shouldn't have been penalized for not dropping his gloves. I assume it had something to do with the ref interfering prior to the the puck drop.
Wow, Horton is a reeeeaaaalll tough customer. Our so called designated tough guy gets tuned by Nathan Horton, you see Horton buckle his knees half way through the fight, that is almost as bad as getting beat by Trevor Linden in a fight. Also, you don't pull a player into a fight then back off turning to the refs "What did I do?" Just a shameful act. He's got to go, time to give Bitz or Duco a turn.
Rome might have something to say about that... On a side note, Horton really looks like a hippo.. :P