GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Beantown - 10am - Snet / NHLN-US

Post by herb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'd like to see someone bootfuck Marchand but outside of Bieksa i don't think the Canucks have anyone capable of doing it. :(
Not sure what you mean by this Blob...Horseface is a midget who barely fights and when he does he fights BAMFs like Andrew Cogliano.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SC final rematch.

Boston fresh from a 9-0 pounding of Calgary.
Vancouver fresh from a 4-0 beat down of the Wild.

Both team relatively healthy.

No goalie controversy. AV wants to see how Ginger plays in what is probably the most Vancouver-hostile arena in the NHL.

I'm pretty excited about tomorrow night. Let's hope for a really good game.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

After the Minnesota game Garry Valk talked about how Cory would likely get the start. He talked about how important Cory is as part of the team, how great he has played and how the team wants to offer a reward for him by letting him play in front of his hometown fans, family and friends. It was a game that was penciled in as his potential start at the beginning of the year and his play has warranted the consideration. So it is not a move to protect Luongo or punish Luongo but to reward Cory. It is also a move that will test how well he can perform in a game like this.

So I think Luongo has know from the time the schedule was released that he may not get this start. So no controversy. We also know how poorly Luongo has played in Saturday morning games, his routine and all getting thrown off so this factors into it. Not as a matter of protecting him but as a matter of managing your goaltenders.

Does anyone know if Perry will be in the line up?
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:After the Minnesota game Garry Valk talked about how Cory would likely get the start. He talked about how important Cory is as part of the team, how great he has played and how the team wants to offer a reward for him by letting him play in front of his hometown fans, family and friends. It was a game that was penciled in as his potential start at the beginning of the year and his play has warranted the consideration. So it is not a move to protect Luongo or punish Luongo but to reward Cory. It is also a move that will test how well he can perform in a game like this.

So I think Luongo has know from the time the schedule was released that he may not get this start. So no controversy. We also know how poorly Luongo has played in Saturday morning games, his routine and all getting thrown off so this factors into it. Not as a matter of protecting him but as a matter of managing your goaltenders.

Does anyone know if Perry will be in the line up?
Did you hear anything HW? Personally, I rather have Getzlaf instead of Perry, at least Getzlaf fights. Perry is basically Matt Cooke with a lot more skill.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

FWIW, Marchand missed the Calgary game with an illness. He is apparently ready to play tomorrow. No better time than near the end of his first shift, tired and coming off a cold to pummel his face into the ice.

Ballard v. Marchand, Ballard either becomes an instant hero or CDC fodder.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote: Did you hear anything HW? Personally, I rather have Getzlaf instead of Perry, at least Getzlaf fights. Perry is basically Matt Cooke with a lot more skill.

No, I was just goofing around. I would rather have Getzlaf too especially if we are trading Hodgson.

From what I've heard there is no imminent trade news coming front he Canucks.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm glad Schneids is getting to start this one, especially cuz beantown is his hometown, despite Lou getting the goose egg the other day. It'll be nice to see how Schneids plays in a big pressure game with our archrivals and his family/friends probably going to be in attendance. If he plays well, he might be the guy to use if we play Boston in the playoffs again. :) As G.Valk said, throw the guy a bone, he deserves it.

Boy, if anything, the NHL should of made this game the outdoor winter classic, rematch of the 2 Stanley Cup finalists. Of course, they had to go with 2 American teams. Maybe they should just make a 2nd outdoor game.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I'm glad Schneids is getting to start this one, especially cuz beantown is his hometown, despite Lou getting the goose egg the other day. It'll be nice to see how Schneids plays in a big pressure game with our archrivals and his family/friends probably going to be in attendance. If he plays well, he might be the guy to use if we play Boston in the playoffs again. :) As G.Valk said, throw the guy a bone, he deserves it.

Boy, if anything, the NHL should of made this game the outdoor winter classic, rematch of the 2 Stanley Cup finalists. Of course, they had to go with 2 American teams. Maybe they should just make a 2nd outdoor game.
The result of this game won't matter much. If the Canucks win, the media will simply say that they are a good regular season team that can not win anything when it matters. If the Bruins win, the media will simply say that the Canucks suck.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote: The result of this game won't matter much. If the Canucks win, the media will simply say that they are a good regular season team that can not win anything when it matters. If the Bruins win, the media will simply say that the Canucks suck.
Pretty much it.

In fact, we should have a "what will Calpuke" say contest.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Who cares what the media says. The fans will remember this game and most importantly AV. If Schneids plays a hell of a game, AV will remember and won't hesitate to go with his #2 If his #1 starts playing like Cloutier in the playoffs again.

Jovocop wrote: The result of this game won't matter much. If the Canucks win, the media will simply say that they are a good regular season team that can not win anything when it matters. If the Bruins win, the media will simply say that the Canucks suck.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

herb wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'd like to see someone bootfuck Marchand but outside of Bieksa i don't think the Canucks have anyone capable of doing it. :(
Not sure what you mean by this Blob...Horseface is a midget who barely fights and when he does he fights BAMFs like Andrew Cogliano.
He has had scraps with Niskanen and Subban this season. He handled himself ok in both.

GMMG has exactly one player on the Canucks who could beat his way out of a wet paper bag and that's Bieksa. I think Marchand would probably tune up just about anyone else on the Vancouver roster.

Back to the game. The D needs to push the pace tomorrow and establish the quick crisp passes early and often. The Canucks need to utilize their speed and support the puck. When they got into trouble against the B's last year they seemed too spread out and too many guys standing still. The team is built on speed and it all starts on the back end. They need to move the puck quickly and don't let the big Bruins forwards get in on the forecheck.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ok if the Kesler who trade bombs with Iggy shows up.... he could beat up Marchand in his sleep. But if it's the guy who got rocked by Ladd and responded with a bullshit move, I am sceptical. Those other players you mentioned Mondi couldn't smack the shit out of a dirty diaper.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Speaking of pussies, Bolland had his first career fight tonight. Could have been a double minor, maybe the refs were trying to add some street cred.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I don't know if this has been mentioned all ready but apparently the Bruins are showing game 7 of the SC prior to this game :scowl:
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

herb wrote:

Exactly, he's a shrimp, I would like to see Duco waste a few minutes on Marchands face. Duco would have the TD Gardens in an uproar in his first shift. I understand Ebbett has played well but just for entertainment value alone I'd like to see Duco bring his pesky energy to a game and he'd be all over Marchand
cheers